Lukas Install

george55321

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, it is not going to be as easy as I taught.
First things first, Lukas did a good job, at least the one I ordered and received. It also came with the UPS LK-530-12Volt and cable with In-Line fuse.
Now the unfortunate part, I checked my car and I don't have a fuse panel in the car. (Have the Toyota manual) The fuse-box is in the engine compartment and that's it on this model.
I taught about a separate battery just for the camera in the car since the supplied UPS will last max 8 hours. I could charge the LK-530 in the house, but I think it would be a pain....$%@#& you know where.
Cigarette Lighter is switched off when the engine is off. Seems like it gets a real job now to install the camera on this model car.
Hmmmmmmmmmm, well, I will charge first the supplied UPS and hook up the camera tonight in my car and see how long it will last. Then go from there.
Maybe I should go and buy a new car. :D

No Go, Radio shuts off when the ignition is off.
Checked some wires going into the middle console where the handbrake is, all nothing. Engine off key out all is off, even the Dom-light goes dead after 10 seconds, relay delayed engine compartment of course (Brrrrrrrrrrrr).
I can see me drilling a hole into the firewall or the new car dealer gets closer.
I give up for today, camera is on, mounted and on the supplied UPS. Claimed it was fully charged.

Hi

If the fuse panel is in the engine compartment, it is not a major problem, a lot of cars are like that.

There may be useful access holes between the passenger and engine compartments. These may already have cable or pipe runs through a grommet in the hole in the wall between the engine and the passenger compartments. Or they could be spare holes used in manufacturing and "stopped" up with a rubber bung. You should be able to get another pair of wires through them.

Just pick your fuse and run the wire from the fuse box, to your LK-530, and then run the ouput of the LK-530 through the an existing hole in the bulkhead to where you can run your new wire behind the side lining up to the headband and across to the location of the dvr. If the wires are not long enough use inline joiners. Pick up your return from a convenient ground point.

I do not know whether the LK-530 has mounting brackets or whether you will need to tape it to something secure in the engine compartment.

But always..... take care and do not compromise the safety of your passengers and your vehicle. Keep your wiring away from fuel lines etc!

It may be useful to visit a garage and get an auto electrican to advise you.

good luck

P

george55321 said:
No Go, Radio shuts off when the ignition is off.
Checked some wires going into the middle console where the handbrake is, all nothing. Engine off key out all is off, even the Dom-light goes dead after 10 seconds, relay delayed engine compartment of course (Brrrrrrrrrrrr).
I can see me drilling a hole into the firewall or the new car dealer gets closer.
I give up for today, camera is on, mounted and on the supplied UPS. Claimed it was fully charged.

You can typically hardwire it to the yellow/red wires and ground it near the stereo too?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've never done it.

Unless your car is from the 60's with an analogue radio there is permanent power behind the radio, that's how it stores it's settings, preset stations etc

jokiin, no the car is not that old, 80's.
Windows are getting smaller and smaller, pretty soon they will be eliminated, that's my problem with buying a new car, I like big windows. The pacer from the old days was a dream, windows wise, except it was a piece of junk in quality. :)
I had a sober experience this morning. I had the camera running in parking mode all night, UPS died after midnight but I got some recordings and now I know the difference between a pro camera $~1000.- (plus Dom and mounting material ~$300), of course about half that money today, versus a dash-cam for $217.-.
My Panasonic NS202A has no problem filming at night with the existing 1 streetlight and that for the last 5 years, 24/7. :eek: and now the Lukas 7900 :shock: with the same light, simply said, except for a few white spots (windows from the house across the street) just a black screen.
Daytime recordings are nice with the Lukas but at night, just forget it. I expected a better progress then that in 5 years, especially since the excellent lens existed then. I taught the dash-cams today would have the quality from then, or better, for the low price of today. I guess I was wrong, part of life. :D
Have a great day. George

Back