Lukas PRO LK-5900

nub1

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with this cam? LK 5900. Seemingly very close to LK-7900, no Sony CMOS Sensor but it's almost $100 cheaper, has same 8GB and built in GPS. I'm mostly interested in durability and whether it takes high/low temperatures well. Thank you.

I just bought one. The review looks pretty good, but its about 18 months older than the LK7900 ACE and much less expensive. $132 on eBay from green-sum. I am trying to figure out whether the extra $32 is necessary for the CPL filter. The videos do look good, but its a large unit and takes a full SD Card. It seems to have all of the features of the 7900 minus the Sony CMOS Sensor, but for rail driving it seems to do just fine. I was told they are working on Apple support for the viewer and the company seems pretty responsive. I will install it, because I really don't want to ship it back to Korea. Its a good looking unit, just large. I do wish it didn't need the cPL filter, but its nice to know I can add that if needed, to adjust brightness. Again, I just got this, and had been using a GoPro Hero3 which was really a pain in the rear switching back and forth and remembering to turn it on and flip the video so it could be viewed right side up. For the money this seems pretty good. There are a few others I might have tried first had I read the Home page a few days after I placed my order. There are plenty of choices in that $120ish range, but Lukas has very good customer reviews and this has been used in Japan for a couple of years now. I'll try to upload some video this weekend.

Try the LK-7500, it's not as cheap as the LK 5900, but it has the same sensor/chip as the 7900 and is cheaper. And eventually they will come out with the OBD module for it (it's already available in Korea).

So I tested the dash cam using hand held and watch the video playback via the media player that came with the camera. It was just fine, in rainy overcast weather. I used this with the UV filter, but without the CPL filter. I do have a black dash, so not much reflection coming up. I have to say, you need to understand that this is a dash camera. All the information is there, with precise colors and when blown up to the real size, it will show the appropriate tags. You have these cameras as a documentation for accidents, fraud...etc. You are not shooting a motion picture. I have compared the AVI based video against a GoPro Hero3 and this is more than adequate. If you think you need more or want to shoot a motion picture buy the most recent release of the GoPro Hero3+ and understand that using these cameras and making a real motion picture involves much editing and the use of CGI images. This is more than adequate to document the players, the G-forces and the GPS. To spend more is just a waste of money. If you want a different look for your camera, then buy all means, go ahead and spend more. These are large cameras and not too subtle. I think they show the outside world that you are recording things especially in parking mode. I dont think it gets any easier than this.

Back