Lukas Qvia T790 user thoughts/opinions?

Well I ended up ordering a T790, here's hoping it works out. :confused:

No worries, it will be like a cold talie on a hot day. :)

I think my biggest gripe with the unit so far has been that however the dash cam formats the SD card makes it unreadable by my computer (late 2013 macbook pro). I've tried both the built in SD card reader and using a USB adapter with the same results: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

I think my biggest gripe with the unit so far has been that however the dash cam formats the SD card makes it unreadable by my computer (late 2013 macbook pro). I've tried both the built in SD card reader and using a USB adapter with the same results: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

I know @Calgary Dash Camera - Robert is a Mac user and has used this model ok, maybe ask a friend with a Windows PC to check the card also, if Windows can't read it either perhaps there's a bigger issue

Are you using the supplied memory card?

I have not had this problem on my late 2013 MacBook Pro running El Capitan.
Ill see if I can recreate tomorrow at the office while using transcend card.

should be ok, where did you buy from?

lukasdirect.com -- whish I believe Calgary Dash Camera - Robert runs.

I have not had this problem on my late 2013 MacBook Pro running El Capitan.
Ill see if I can recreate tomorrow at the office while using transcend card.

Nice, thanks. Details of my computer:

jic9RIn.png

Thanks Robert -- sounds good

Also of note, I tested this on my htpc which is running OpenELEC (lightweight Linux distro) and it can mount the SD card (both with USB adapter and built-in card reader). Happy huntings tomorrow

My T790 had a 16 GB card and I have no problem to read it in my 2010 MacbookPro (El Capitan)

Thanks Robert -- sounds good

Also of note, I tested this on my htpc which is running OpenELEC (lightweight Linux distro) and it can mount the SD card (both with USB adapter and built-in card reader). Happy huntings tomorrow

I tested, and found the same result as you.
I am going to test it further tomorrow and see what I can find. 16GB card defiantly works on my Mac

Has anybody made any progress on the "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" error? I just purchased a Qvia R975 and am having the same problem on my early 2011 MacBook Pro which theoretically is supposed to support SDXC cards (I have 128GB SD and 64GB microSD). The weird thing is that both stock 8GB cards (which are formatted as FAT-32 rather than exFAT) worked fine and let me view the videos in VLC. I still can't get the QVIA Viewer software to run on my Mac, although I remember reading somewhere that a fix for that is in the works?

EDIT: I think I may have figured out what was going on. I plugged the chips into a Windows computer and they were read just fine. I then used the Qvia viewer on the Windows computer to format the chip. It looks like that formatted the chip to FAT-32 which is well-tolerated for both the cam and my Mac. Ultimately there seems to be a bug in the camera's firmware where it doesn't format the chip with exFAT in a way that is compatable with Apple's implementation of the exFAT standard. Also, as far as using the Mac Qvia viewer, I was able to get around the problem where the software didn't open after double-clicking by opening Terminal and running the command:

/Applications/R975\ WD.app/Contents/MacOS/*

Note that you'll have to change the name of the bold section to the name of your specific model of camera (which should also be the name of the program on the computer) and make sure to include a \ character before any spaces in the app name as I did above.

Last edited:
I just tested your advice @Erin Sherman on the T790 with a 64GB MicroSD.
It didn't help mount the card on the computer. However, after trying your suggestion. I tried one last thing.
Last week I discovered that the below series of steps and formats fixed regular 8GB SD card that randomly was not reading in my Macbook after being formatted in a Lukas LK-9750.
Luckily it worked. The 64GB MicroSD card is now recognized on my MacBook Pro.

Here is what I did.
Frist format the card in the camera.
Then plug it into your Mac. It will say the "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
Click "initialize". This will open Disk Utility.
Click the top level of the SD card. (Using my built-in memory card reader. The top level is listed as "APPLE SD Card Reader Media")
Then click the "Erase" button on the top toolbar. A pop-up will open that prompts you to choose 1 of 4 format types.
Select MS-DOS (FAT) and click erase.
Once completed, remove the memory card from your computer.
Insert it back into the camera. Power on the camera.
It will once again say "Formating is on standby, press the left key to format".
Press the left key.
Once the camera completed formatting the card again.
Pop the card back into your mac. It should now finally be readable and mounted properly.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 3.55.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-09 at 3.55.06 PM.png
    290.2 KB · Views: 8
I just tested your advice @Erin Sherman on the T790 with a 64GB MicroSD.
It didn't help mount the card on the computer. However, after trying your suggestion. I tried one last thing.
Last week I discovered that the below series of steps and formats fixed regular 8GB SD card that randomly was not reading in my Macbook after being formatted in a Lukas LK-9750.
Luckily it worked. The 64GB MicroSD card is now recognized on my MacBook Pro.

Here is what I did.
Frist format the card in the camera.
Then plug it into your Mac. It will say the "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."
Click "initialize". This will open Disk Utility.
Click the top level of the SD card. (Using my built-in memory card reader. The top level is listed as "APPLE SD Card Reader Media")
Then click the "Erase" button on the top toolbar. A pop-up will open that prompts you to choose 1 of 4 format types.
Select MS-DOS (FAT) and click erase.
Once completed, remove the memory card from your computer.
Insert it back into the camera. Power on the camera.
It will once again say "Formating is on standby, press the left key to format".
Press the left key.
Once the camera completed formatting the card again.
Pop the card back into your mac. It should now finally be readable and mounted properly.

Confirmed. That's all working great. My i9100 DUO works fine and SD & MicroSD now i can read on my Mac. Thanks.

Back