Möbius C-Lens changing colors.

Wise87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-C, Mobius C
I use my möbius as a Dashcam and I noticed the C-lens is turning copper color. Has anyone else seen this happen?
eff79764a259bb3d7f3e1dd65af567bb.jpg

What would cause that? Heat?

Limited edition ? :)

Maybe powder-coating ( or galvanization ), or what ever coating they used on lens was not a good quality and now it is reacting on outside moisture ?

My Lukas IR filter has done the same and is going gold too!

I found this link which seems to offer the most plausible explanation thus far. Reading through the posts the consensus seems to be a sealing flaw in the anodizing process along with some other factors.

http://www.finishing.com/158/25.shtml

"Black anodize turning bronze color"

Q. We have some aluminum parts that were black anodized. Alloys 6061 and 5052 were used in the same assembly. When the units were returned from the field, the anodize had changed to a bronze appearing color on both the 5052 and 6061 parts. The units are not exposed to sunlight or adverse atmosphere in installation so I wouldn't expect fading to be an issue. Does anyone have an explanation of what is happening here?

anodize.png

Last edited:
I use my möbius as a Dashcam and I noticed the C-lens is turning copper color. Has anyone else seen this happen?
eff79764a259bb3d7f3e1dd65af567bb.jpg

Yep, mine's done it too in three months.

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
Mine too! I have it installed since april. It's pretty visible behind the windshield. Is there something Mobius can/will do?

I use mine in the rear window and it's doing the same thing.

Hopefully, along with the focus issues they've fixed the fading anodizing too on the new C2 lens that replaces this model.

Hopefully, along with the focus issues they've fixed the fading anodizing too on the new C2 lens that replaces this model.
Lets hope, but we can't tell yet since the C2 lens is brand new and takes a couple months to start fading. I hope the manufacturer will do something with the people who have this problem. I know it's a cheap camera, but I'm not planning to buy a new lens, a new case and shipping costs.

Lets hope, but we can't tell yet since the C2 lens is brand new and takes a couple months to start fading. I hope the manufacturer will do something with the people who have this problem. I know it's a cheap camera, but I'm not planning to buy a new lens, a new case and shipping costs.

You might try contacting the vendor where you purchased the lens to see if they might do something for you. If enough people make a fuss, perhaps the developer might come up with a solution for those who have this issue. So far, my C lens has not shown any fading after 4 months and not every buyer has reported this, so the problem may only have been a bad batch of anodizing rather than every lens to leave the factory.

In the meantime, the aluminum bezel can be unscrewed from the lens and spray painted flat black which may be a partial solution for some.

In the meantime, the aluminum bezel can be unscrewed from the lens and spray painted flat black which may be a partial solution for some.

A black "Sharpie" pen could help too. Spray paint would look a lot nicer but the pen could be done quickly. Lucky my C lens hasn't faded either but I have a sharpie ready if it does. :)

A black "Sharpie" pen could help too. Spray paint would look a lot nicer but the pen could be done quickly. Lucky my C lens hasn't faded either but I have a sharpie ready if it does. :)

Unfortunately, Sharpies tend to fade pretty quickly too, usually turning from black to purple, so it may not be the best of "fix-its" Maybe just wrap the lens in black tape?

Wow, just noticed that the lens A on my Mobius is also changing from black to bronze, am now wondering if it will go the whole hog and change to gold :)

Wow, just noticed that the lens A on my Mobius is also changing from black to bronze, am now wondering if it will go the whole hog and change to gold :)

How long ago did you buy your camera? If DCT members here with this issue report on this thread when they acquired their camera or lens modules maybe we can pin down approximately when these problem lenses started to show up.

How long ago did you buy your camera? If DCT members here with this issue report on this thread when they acquired their camera or lens modules maybe we can pin down approximately when these problem lenses started to show up.

I ordered my Mobius fitted with 'A' lens direct from eletoponline365 ebay shop in April 2015.

I ordered my Mobius fitted with 'A' lens direct from eletoponline365 ebay shop in April 2015.

OK, so that would be the latest generation....the same time the out-of-focus C lenses were introduced. Let's see what others might report...........

OK, so that would be the latest generation....the same time the out-of-focus C lenses were introduced. Let's see what others might report...........

Funnily enough I've been having great difficulty with focusing this Mobius 'A' lens which always appears somewhat soft/blurred with the video images when compared to the 0806 which although isn't faultless, does have a very good lens fitted, which results in outstanding sharpness of static objects.

Funnily enough I've been having great difficulty with focusing this Mobius 'A' lens which always appears somewhat soft/blurred with the video images when compared to the 0806 which although isn't faultless, does have a very good lens fitted, which results in outstanding sharpness of static objects.

Have you tried focusing it in web can mode on your computer? That always seems to give me the best results compared to the AV out method.

Back