Möbius c2 recording troubles

Tony lovelock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 422gw/Nextbase 212G & möbius C3 wide angle lens
Mobius ActionCam V3 1080p FPV Video Camera w/ Extra Wide Angle Lens (Type C2)

I currently have my möbius in dash cam loop recording mode,3 minute segments,auto record on both)!start up delayed,power off 30 seconds. I'm using a genuine tomtom USB cigarette charger adapter, with a 4 meter (eBay) mini USB standard lead to charge/record when plugged in. It will start to record ok for most journeys, but on the odd occasion it will record first 9 mins or so and then will go straight into photo mode with solid orange led.

I have:
Möbius magnet mount
Möbius weather cover
Kingston class 4 micro sd 32gb
I can't remember if it has the battery or super capitactor

The above is the action camera which I brought last may from hobbyrc.co.uk

I have updated it to the latest firmware, done an format via the msetup whilst plugged into laptop. I tried using the supplied awg triumph cable supplied by hobbyrc and it worked faultless, if I use my 4 meter eBay lead and move the camera around it will go into photo mode? Not sure if the mini USB port inside the möbius is worn/loose?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited:
There's no reason to shout.

Anyway, as I mentioned in your other post on this issue, and like @jokiin also points out, the camera is not made for outside use. If it is in a 100% waterproof housing (including the point of USB connection) it might be OK but if inside such a housing it might be subject to overheating eventually.

Edit: HobbyRC doesn't seem to offer any sort of Mobius weather cover. If they did so previously, perhaps it was discontinued for this reason?

Last edited:
From memory I think there was some sort of silicone rubber cover available previously, not sure if that's what he has but those were not waterproof

There's the JooVuu waterproof Mobius case but it comes with a disclaimer that, "By buying this product you agree that JooVuu.com (JooVuu Limited) is NOT responsible for any damage that occur to your Mobius through the use of this case".

The silicone cover is still available but it is only water resistant that "helps protect".

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/weather-cover-wreplaceable-windows/

Last edited:
I brought the silicone weather proof case off the möbius-actioncam website they say it's waterproof however if doesn't protect in submerge weather which I totally understand. And yes with the mini USB connector going into the möbius on a rainy day it will get some sort of weather corrosion to the outer sheave connector as expected but it does record. I have avoided the Joovuu waterproof case due to bad reviews! Sorry for the large text btw that wasn't suppose to happen...

Water + Mobuis = :eek: + :oops:

It's usable outdoors but only in good weather. Unless the water caused a component to die, "ricing" it might work. If still no luck, then try a hard reset, and if still no luck reload the firmware. That's about all which can be done before you have to replace the board which costs ~2/3 the price of a new cam.

For static use, a simple hood or roof will let Mobius work in the rain since it will stay dry and have cooling airflow, but the dynamics of airflow and winds on a moving/parked car will prevent such a simple solution from being effective. I have a few enclosure designs in my mind which might solve this dilemma but I haven't tried any of them. There are "18 wheeler" systems which use outside cams but they are very expensive and meant for permanent installations. Cams meant for motorcycles might work here too. You can remote-mount the lens module with Mobuis but it still isn't waterproof and it generates a lot of heat which has to be dissipated. Plus the lens cable is delicate and only short lengths will function.

I wish I could offer you better solutions but I know of none. In my own van I had to mount the rear cam to look through the glass in the door where it doesn't do terribly well. The airflow means that window is the first thing to get dirty on the van and when moving at highway speeds water droplets and streams collect there and move around. It's usable but not optimal. I seem to recall reading where someone incorporated a Mobius with the lens remoted into the high 3rd brake light by adding a clear section to a new red lens then using the existing wiring hole for the CMOS cable. I don't remember any long-term follow-ups or where I saw that.

Every dashcam is a compromise somewhere- size, available functions, sensor types, price and more. All we can do is pick the one which is going to give us the most of what we want and work around that.

Phil

Thanks for the feedback Phil.

Yes I have tried to think of a more water proof housing to prevent the outer sheaf of the mini USB cable from getting water corrosion on it but haven't thought of any ideas yet... it has recorded in the rain a few times even without a weather cover on! But möbius highly recommended that I used a weather cover for obvious reasons... even on the driest of days, I start the van up and then plug in the möbius and it will instantly go into photo mode until I unplug and try again (on numerous attempts it will start back up into auto record mode) I've only mounted it on the outside to use as a rear end dash cam to help me if any thing was to happen accident wise or to help someone else if there was an accident and I've managed to have saved files stored on the möbius/sd card

Condensation will occur naturally even on non-rainy days so that also has to be considered. My thoughts are a clear 4-sided box with a larger 5-sided spaced "lid" allowing airflow, then having the cam fitting in a smaller 5-sided spaced "tub"with drainage holes. (added: the lid and base are spaced away from the middle "box") The USB power cable could be 'snaked through' the spaces or caulked permanently. It stays put when you slide the cam away from it. I think the front and back would do best sealed leaving only the sides with openings for airflow. The top would need to block the direct sunlight and of course the whole thing would need to be very durable and strong to avoid problems with low-hanging tree branches and theft.

Kind of simple but I can't see any reasons it wouldn't work well. I just haven't tried it yet.

Phil

The camera is really not designed for such conditions, at least not for a permanent install.

Worth a shot though for the intrepid DIYer who is willing to possibly sacrifice the camera knowing it can be refurbished. :)

Last edited:
Back