M2 Discussion

get to make your videos look like they were shot with a mobile phone
?? If mounted at 90 deg, and set to 90 deg in the settings, wouldn't the image appear in a proper landscape orientation? The image above makes it appear so. Or am I missing something?

From Dashmellow's pic the orientation appears normal- he didn't mention resizing or cropping. So what sets the capture orientation and aspect scheme, the lens/CMOS or the hardware/software? The latter could compensate for the change but the former couldn't. It wouldn't be much use as a dashcam if it narrowed the FOV while making it taller but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Phil

From Dashmellow's pic the orientation appears normal- he didn't mention resizing or cropping. So what sets the capture orientation and aspect scheme, the lens/CMOS or the hardware/software? The latter could compensate for the change but the former couldn't. It wouldn't be much use as a dashcam if it narrowed the FOV while making it taller but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Phil

going by the OSD text it looks like the camera was being held in the normal way but the setting was to one of the 90 degree rotated options

It seems like it would work, but the text would be at 90 when viewing in landscape.

Trying to figure out if you mount the M2 at 90, and change the setting to 90, do you get a normal landscape video?

I believe so, but I just became aware of this new feature earlier today and wanted to report it to our community knowing many would find it interesting, but I have barely yet had the opportunity to explore the option fully.

Last edited:
Trying to figure out if you mount the M2 at 90, and change the setting to 90, do you get a normal landscape video?

OK, so to clarify:

If the mSetup option is set to "90º Right" and you turn the camera counter clockwise so it is vertically oriented with the tripod mount to your right, you get this capture view.

90_right.jpg

90º right camera orientation
M2_90_right.jpg

Last edited:
That patio seem dangerous when the party is well under way and people are somewhat intoxicated :)

That patio seem dangerous when the party is well under way and people are somewhat intoxicated :)

No, not at all actually. Nobody has fallen off the deck or down the steps yet! When I have a crowd here people like to sit on the steps and chat. When there's lots of ice out there that's when things get a bit hairy.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking, really appreciate it!

It's a bit odd though isn't it? Turning the camera counter clockwise seems one is turning it 90º left doesn't it? I guess it's six of one, half dozen of the other so in the end it doesn't really matter, but still.

Sigh- back to my disappointment :oops: There's no point in rotating the cam when it reduces the all-important FOV width so I guess that parameter is controlled by the fixed-position sensor/CMOS, and not the hardware/software.

Some software can do a 90 degree viewing rotate already so there's nothing I can see as particularly useful in this for the dashcam crowd :(

Phil

there's nothing I can see as particularly useful in this for the dashcam crowd :(

Phil
I agree this feature is not very useful for a dashcam, unless you have the camera mounted vertically on a side pillar for example.

I can also envisage a 24/7 CCTV setup where being able to capture video the full height of a building might be possible.

unless you have the camera mounted vertically on a side pillar for example.

Vertical mounting on a pillar was my intent, but not if it narrows the FOV and at the same time exposes more of the sky to the already struggling WDR needlessly darkening the video. I ain't smart about dashcams but even I can see the problem here. I'd rather have a manually rotatable CMOS board to get the orientation correct- that WOULD be useful unlike this software gimmick.

Sighing again- I really want to love this camera but climbing Everest is beginning to look easier to do :(

Phil

I may state the obvious, but to have a "landscape" with the camera rotated 90, you need to rotate the sensor as well.
There is MOBIUS 1 with sensor module rotated in such a way (e.g. landscape with camera at 90).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181743121940

Last edited:
I confused myself earlier today when trying the M2 and rotating it. I realised that the OSD text is always at the bottom left corner, even when the camera is rotated 180deg and the video is upside down. Not sure how it does that :confused:

For the record, that's only for the initial camera orientation when recording starts. It doesn't change the OSD location of rotating the camera in the middle of a video.

I agree this feature is not very useful for a dashcam, unless you have the camera mounted vertically on a side pillar for example.

I can also envisage a 24/7 CCTV setup where being able to capture video the full height of a building might be possible.

Might be handy if one wanted to monitor a hallway.

Back