M2 spot metering

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I tried spot metering instead of centre-weighted metering today, since my previous metering tests suggested that spot metering delivered the best results when the car was stationary. At the time I said "Centre-spot looks good in this static test, but I'm not sure I would trust it whilst driving - further tests needed".

This short clip shows how sensitive it can be to passing cars.

Driving in harsh lighting conditions (through the trees, towards and angled to the sun) I think the M2 spot metering did a pretty good job of maintaining a reasonable exposure on the road and the car in front.

Last edited:
I have ordered a 12 mm lens, i think i will try it out first on the m2, at least that way i get to see what the thing look on the inside.

I have ordered a 12 mm lens, i think i will try it out first on the m2, at least that way i get to see what the thing look on the inside.
Have you never opened up your M2? You might find that the lens threads have been glued together.

No at least not what i can recall, and since i have allwys been on the battery there have been no need to take a peek inside.

Glued lens do not frighten me, i have devised a nice little tool to clean thread on used lenses.
The new lens are already well under way thanks to USPS, now its just a matter of keeping everything that can be crossed CROSSED and hope Danish postal dont screw it up or go bankrupt before the parcel arrive.

The M2 is definitely NOT alternative lens optic friendly.

Of the two I have, I was able to coax one of them out of the threads to experiment with an alternative lens. The other one is glued in so that it is NEVER coming out of the module without permanently damaging it. Nothing I've tried has been able to get it to budge.

It was explained to me by Peter that they were getting returns from people who tried to refocus their M1 lenses and couldn't figure out how to do it. So, Mobius decided in its infinite wisdom to make it as difficult as possible to unscrew the lenses on the M2.

I tried my best to explain to Peter that the ability to refocus and lock the lens on the Mobius was one of the key features that makes it such a unique and versatile camera. I encouraged him to simply put a disclaimer on the camera(s) that states that they are not responsible if a customer refocuses the lens and perhaps to install a seal over the threads so that once broken, the camera cannot be returned. He essentially ignored me and continued on the failed path of the M2. For months I kept trying to explain that if you kill off all the attributes that made the M1 such a cult classic that the M2 was doomed for failure but I finally concluded that he just doesn't get it, or doesn't want to. It was the same when it came to developing a second generation camera that can't be used as a web cam for focusing and that all this time later still doesn't have many of the features and appealing qualities of the M1.

well i have my last functioning X cam in the backhand if need be, and it have already been outfitted with another lens as i recall, if not i have experience from the other 2 x cams in how to loosen lens.

how can you not be able to refocus a mobius ??? i have done it even without having it connected to PC as a web cam, but it do take a little while and patience,,,, maybe that last thing are the problem as many seem to lack that nowadays.

well i have my last functioning X cam in the backhand if need be, and it have already been outfitted with another lens as i recall, if not i have experience from the other 2 x cams in how to loosen lens.

how can you not be able to refocus a mobius ??? i have done it even without having it connected to PC as a web cam, but it do take a little while and patience,,,, maybe that last thing are the problem as many seem to lack that nowadays.

I prefer accurately focused lenses where I can see the results directly. That is the only way to choose the desired, optimal point within the depth of focus. Trial and error focusing of lenses is a frustrating waste of time and productivity in my opinion and somewhat of a fool's errand. (no offense intended with that figurative remark, just the way it is IMHO)

No doubt a HDMI out should be mandatory on all cameras.

No doubt a HDMI out should be mandatory on all cameras.

With the Mobius I find hooking up to my computer as an HD (720p) web cam works really, really well. It is the reason I am so discouraged and frankly downright annoyed by the lack of that capability on the M2.

I'm been working on an interesting little "custom" Mobius project recently that I will be posting about soon that has required lots of long range focusing. I use a 15 foot USB-A to mini-B cable so I can go over to the window in my office and point the camera out at some trees in the distance for focusing and I'll look back at my computer to see what I've got. Works great, even if I have the image at full screen. (Trial & error focusing would never work for this.)

I do the same with HDMI cameras and my TV, i find that focusing inside the living room on a short distance often end up less than desirable.

But i have not been able to get the mobius to work as a web cam on the USB port of my TV and i dont have a USB wire long enough to reach from one end of my living room and over to the window.

I dont think i have ever trial and error focused a camera and not having to tweak it after a few days looking at its footage.
For sure not a way you would want to use often.

I do the same with HDMI cameras and my TV, i find that focusing inside the living room on a short distance often end up less than desirable.

But i have not been able to get the mobius to work as a web cam on the USB port of my TV and i dont have a USB wire long enough to reach from one end of my living room and over to the window.

I dont think i have ever trial and error focused a camera and not having to tweak it after a few days looking at its footage.
For sure not a way you would want to use often.

I'm not sure if this will work on a TV the way it works on a computer but try first removing the memory card from your Mobius before plugging it into the USB port on the TV. See what happens.

I have tried trust me, maybe on a newer TV maybe with android TV in it, but my TV are a 6-7 year old 1080p TV, though it do have a USB slot and can handle the most weird file formats, but that's also it i think.

They ALL should have the manual focusing lens with a lock screw/nut like Runcam....

maxresdefault.jpg

This system adds quite a bit of extra length to the lens barrel and can easily lead to the lens becoming out of focus if the lock bevel is unlocked by mistake and the lens is later inadvertently turned a bit. It is not suitable for an action cam, IMO.
I agree, however, that lenses locked by glue are not the best solution. For me, the tiny lock screw used in the Mobius 1 is the perfect solution. Inconspicuous, virtually no added weight or size and no risk of inadvertently changing the focus so long the screw is properly tightened.
If, however, the camera is to be constantly refocused, for example often switching between macro and standard use, then the RunCam system has it's merits.

Back