Mac Viewer for A119+GPS ??

DarkEnergy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 & B40
Hi,
Just upgraded from A118 to A119. For the A118 I used Datakam Viewer that worked reasonably well displaying the video speed and gps position on a map. Now it seems that something has changed with the GPS data because Datakam does not detect the GPS information.
Any suggestions of a viewer for the A119 that runs in MacOS and that displays the gps as well as the video?

I tried and no luck. As with the A118 Dashcam viewer shows a position in the Atlantic ocean south of Sierra Leona, in fact Long=0.0;Lat=0.0 : )

dashcam viewer works fine for me, correct map viewer location too

Mac with a119 videos, pulling from sdcard inserted in the side of my MacBook.

Got the latest version ok?

Mine does show that sea location on map while it's loading/processing all the video files, but after that its perfect, shows map location on the map while playing, along with complete trail of where I've been.

Yes I am using the latest: 2.2.0. I'm using the free version, perhaps the GPS is disabled?

can you enable the gps data on the video picture ok?
have you got the power for the dashcam going into the gps unit not in the side of the camera?

I do have registered version of dashcam viewer for mac, latest v2.2.0 but nearly certain when it was on trial I could see map location fine, it was just limited how many files I could open/process.

Thanks Peter. It's running now but it takes ages to load. About a minute for loading only 5Gb.
I get the spinning wheel and the message of application not running evn though it is. Any suggestion

yea it reads ALL the files in the directory you point it at, and processes them all to construct your overall map route...

maybe try opening just 1 file see if the map GPS data loads up correctly

I tried and no luck. As with the A118 Dashcam viewer shows a position in the Atlantic ocean south of Sierra Leona, in fact Long=0.0;Lat=0.0 : )

@DarkEnergy, another A119 user reported a similar issue with Dashcam Viewer and sent me a sample movie file. I used a low-level hex editor to examine the movie and it turned out that his A119 was not encoding the ‘day-of-month’ into the GPS data stream. Here is a snapshot from a data record to show you what I mean:
a119.jpg

The six highlighted groupings represent 6 integers. These are supposed to represent the date (3 ints) and time (3 ints). If you convert the hexadecimal into integer you get:

Hour: 16
Min: 54
Sec: 03
Year: 16
Month: 08
Day: 2149884200 !!

Notice the Day is totally incorrect. Unless I’m mistaken it seems that the A119 has skipped the writing of the Day into the datestamp stream. Thus Dashcam Viewer cannot generate a valid date/time which is why it’s not working. It’s possible this could be corrected with a firmware update. Since some A119 users have reported success with DV, I can only surmise that some A119's have "the fix" while others do not.

Also, @Peter Dyson is correct. For dashcam models that embed the GPS data into the movie file (instead of writing it to a separate data file), Dashcam Viewer will take longer to process the movie set. If time is an issue, I recommend only loading the movies of interest rather the entire folder.

Regards,
John

Author of Dashcam Viewer:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

FYI I'm running A119 with latest V1.1 firmware, no issues with dashcam viewer files opening or with the GPS maps for me

Last edited:
@DarkEnergy, another A119 user reported a similar issue with Dashcam Viewer and sent me a sample movie file. I used a low-level hex editor to examine the movie and it turned out that his A119 was not encoding the ‘day-of-month’ into the GPS data stream. Here is a snapshot from a data record to show you what I mean:
a119.jpg

The six highlighted groupings represent 6 integers. These are supposed to represent the date (3 ints) and time (3 ints). If you convert the hexadecimal into integer you get:

Notice the Day is totally incorrect. Unless I’m mistaken it seems that the A119 has skipped the writing of the Day into the datestamp stream. Thus Dashcam Viewer cannot generate a valid date/time which is why it’s not working. It’s possible this could be corrected with a firmware update. Since some A119 users have reported success with DV, I can only surmise that some A119's have "the fix" while others do not.

Also, @Peter Dyson is correct. For dashcam models that embed the GPS data into the movie file (instead of writing it to a separate data file), Dashcam Viewer will take longer to process the movie set. If time is an issue, I recommend only loading the movies of interest rather the entire folder.

Regards,
John

Author of Dashcam Viewer:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer
As long as @viofo are made aware of this they will be able to get it sorted

a119.jpg

Regards,
John

@traveler. Hi John thanks for the information. I've made progress and now I can see the GPS position and speed but only the position and speed at the END of the file.
While the video happily goes through the paces, both the speed and the position remain fixed at a value that corresponds to the last value in that particular file.
When the video changes to the following file or any other file, the speed and position also change but again remains fixed through the length of the file.
I've downloaded the GPS data and it shows 300 lines with the same position and speed.
Distance and bearing are always zero.
The listed dates are wrong.
The listed times are also wrong but they do change increasing 1 second per line.

I enclosed the first page of the pdf version of the table.

Regards,
DE

Attachments

• export-p1.pdf
    35.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@DarkEnergy: Yes, this is what you will see when loading an A119 file with a corrupted datestamp. I see the exact same behavior using the day-corrupted A119 test. Once the datestamp is fixed (likely with a firmware update) this should all resolve itself.

I've got another report of Dashcam Viewer+A119 success with firmware version A119.160829.V1.1. So it looks like the v1.1 firmware does the trick.

RESOLVED

I went to http://www.viofo.com/home/30-a119-1080p-60fps-dash-cam.html a

Clicked on the " Support Tab "

1. Clicked on the "Download" link for the latest firmware ( A119.20160829.V1.1 ) from August 28, 2016.

2. Unzip the file using available unzip programs, e.g. WinZip or 7-Zip

3. Open the file and copy the .bin file directly onto the MicroSD card root file(use a 32GB maximum card, FAT32 format.)

4. Insert the MicroSD card into the cam and power it on via a 5V/1A power source, e.g. cigarette lighter or power bank, it will start upgrade automatically.

5. While upgrading the front REC red LED starts blinking(the light blinking slowly at the beginning, then blinking quickly), after the light stop blinking, it means upgrade is finished, the firmware will be deleted automatically after upgrade.

6. You will need to RE-configure your dashcam settings since they will be lost during the upgrade

====================

The next part is to download and install DashCam viewer from https://dashcamviewer.com/

I installed :

Current Version: v2.2.0
Release Date: September 4, 2016

You can read the Version Changelog by going to https://dashcamviewer.com/blog/ or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25150850/history.pdf
You can also download the User Manual at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25150850/Dashcam Viewer Users Manual.pdf
You can see a Video Tutorial at

============

FYI -

Windows Requirements:

Windows 10 is recommended but Dashcam Viewer might still run on earlier OS’s (Windows 7 and 8). 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available.
Low-end Windows PCs with poor video performance and limited screen resolution are not recommended.

FYI -

Also there are times where IF your device did not start logging the GPS early into the movie, it might not display in the Dashcam Viewer software.

This might also happen if you are playing multiple movies sequentially.

=============

If you want to UN-install the software...

Windows:

• Right-click on the Dashcam Viewer icon on the Desktop
    • Select "Open file location" from the menu.
    • In the Dashcam Viewer folder, select and run "unins000.exe"
    • Dashcam Viewer will be removed from your system.
Mac OS X:

• Open your Applications folder.
    • Select the Dashcam Viewer application and drag it to the trash
    • Dashcam Viewer is now removed from your system
================

Let me know if this helped.

Back