Made a decision right or wrong?

Rinkopr

Reaction score
Country
United States
So looking for my first cam and from what I've read I've come to the conclusion they do not yet make a prosumer dash cam yet. Something almost as precise as the $4k units in b&ws but for around $1k.
So my usage is for several company vehicles I drive since I bounce from one to the other. I do not need gps, park mode, wifi, or assistance driving to remain in my lane. What I do want is something with solid guts, and near flawless images for a single camera ( I'm the guy looking for a cell phone that just a darn cell phone). The vehicles I bounce from range from a Kenworth 900 to a 250 ton truck crane so stability is an issue since none ride like a Lincoln Towncar.
After searching I was between the Vico-Opia2 and the Street Guardian SG9665GCv3. I think the SG due to the very active customer service, but concerned that with the near verticle windshields it may not set right for proper framing. So my question to the dash cam gods, will this unit work for these types of windshields, rough environment including the central Florida heat, and moving from vehicle to vehicle sometimes in the same day?

Thanks
Gordon

we have an updated model we're working on that will be better suited to the vertical windows, not quite there yet though, a higher spec version as well but that's not expected until the end of the year

The SG9665GC mount gets stuck to the windshie;d with 3M VHB tape, so moving the cam between vehicles could present problems unless each had a mount dedicated to it. Some folks use a Cobra radar detector suction-cup mount stuck to these wedge cam mounts (or directly to the cam) but I'm not sure how stable those would be in a big truck. I think you'd be better off with the Vico-Opia2 and a good short suction cup mount.That will work with just about any windshield configuration.

Phil

Joking, that is disappointing, but that means I need to find something now and upgrade later.

SawMaster I hear what you are saying, it's one of the reasons I was anticipating having to purchase 8 of the mounts and try the suction cup idea one of the posters here had.

Street Guardian makes some darn fine cams with the best customer service in the world, but they don't make cams for every situation and more's the pity for us poor cam buyers who don't drive normal cars since we then have to settle for less.

Phil

Joking, that is disappointing, but that means I need to find something now and upgrade later.

would rather tell it how it is than have you buy something thinking it will do what you need only to have it fall short

Try a Mobius with the supercap installed. I've been using one for 3 years in a big truck, and also take it along to use in rental cars. You can use a suction cup mount or the inexpensive stick on mounts. I have a mount in my Peterbilt, one in my pickup, just unscrew the mobius when I change vehicles. Not the best overall video quality, but usable, and reliable.

Yes a mobius are still a good and cheap & reliable way to get going while you wait for something that will suit you good.
Just buy from a approved seller and you should be good to go.

Jokiin I thank you for your candor and my response was from the heart. I will look at the Mobius for a stop gap.

Getting a Mobius is money well spent. You can just pocket it and use as actioncam for outings and occasions. Built in battery helps.

Back