Magellan GPS with dashcam integrated

Here there is no place to legally place it on the windscreen so it is allso able to record video, ideal it should be placed up high as a dashcam.
Only spot here i can think off that is okay with the law is where the rear view mirror allready block the window, but placed behind the mirror you cant see the NAV screen.
The mount ( suctioncup ) allso have to be different from normal NAV units i guess, otherwise the mount will block the camera.

For me personally "stealth" means I can leave it in the car overnight and not worry that bad guys will see and have a temptation to steal it ;)

Here there is no place to legally place it on the windscreen so it is allso able to record video, ideal it should be placed up high as a dashcam.
Only spot here i can think off that is okay with the law is where the rear view mirror allready block the window, but placed behind the mirror you cant see the NAV screen.
The mount ( suctioncup ) allso have to be different from normal NAV units i guess, otherwise the mount will block the camera.

I've been asked many times we we don't do a combo model with GPS (they have been around for a year or more anyway), the ideal placement for a GPS and the ideal placement for a dashcam are two different places, there may be some situations where this could work but I think for the majority of cases it's a lot less than ideal

Purely a sales gimick, I'm sure with sales of GPS Nav. units going down hill, now that everyone has Google map navigation on the cell phones. They are just trying a new angle to catch a few people "thinking" its a great idea!

Purely a sales gimick, I'm sure with sales of GPS Nav. units going down hill, now that everyone has Google map navigation on the cell phones. They are just trying a new angle to catch a few people "thinking" its a great idea!

they'd do better to market a camera under their brand and not with the GPS mapping, that might clash with their expectations though

Only way i can see it done right, is with the camera seperated from the NAV unit, kinda like a lukas lk-7300 but with a NAV unit in the seperate DVR.

Then you can leave your inexpensive camera in the car, and just bring the NAV/DVR unit with you when leaving the car.

But yes. The navigation marked must be under pressure, many car have navigation from the factory, and every one have a smart phone.
Google navigation dont Work that good with my HTC win8 phone for some reason, but it was good on my samsung android phone.
I have been thinking on modding my dashbord a Little and build a android tablet into the middle of my dashbord where there is a Little drawer with a lid.

I have NAV in my headunit, but it is a poor chinese model, and the NAV software isent that good in my eyes.

My phone sit on the driver side door, my Suzuki have a Little fixed window in front of the larger window witch can go up and Down, fits like a glowe - is 100% visible and i can touch the screen without letting go of the steeringwheel.

Only way i can see it done right, is with the camera seperated from the NAV unit, kinda like a lukas lk-7300 but with a NAV unit in the seperate DVR.

Then you can leave your inexpensive camera in the car, and just bring the NAV/DVR unit with you when leaving the car.

have had similar ideas before also but I think if you do something like this it ends up becoming a chore to keep hooking up etc, then you get in the habit of 'I'm just going up the road from home so won't bother for the 2 minute trip' situation, of course you know what happens once you get like this, that one time when you really need it you were too lazy to plug it in

yes it would proberly be a good idea to have the camera "permanently" attached to the Mount, so the connection will be made as soon as you dock the NAV/DVR into the Mount.

If one have to fumble with wires and snall plugs i am quite sure some one / many will leave it out on the short trips.
It have to be easy as ppl get more and more lazy thanks to modern teknology

IMO the placement of the GPS towards the bottom of the windshield vs. the typical dashcam placement at the top of the windshield to be pretty minor, and at worst a matter of taste.

My first dashcam, I put on the absolute bottom of the windshield (lower than a GPS) and the video was just fine for the pursposes of a dashcam. In someways I liked it better than the top of windshield.

Back