Magnetic or RF interference with a Porsche onboard computers? how to stop it? Any experience?

doktorek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W
HI

I have a dash cam installed in the front of my porsche for a while. I have noticed the the dash cam is messing with my car GPS antenna reception. I have onboard GPS loosing a lock on the vehicle from time to time sending it to a different part of the area. Also, recently I installed a rear window dash cam and hooked it up to the power outlet in the trunk. That caused my keyless Go entry to malfunction and my radio reception to get really bad.

So there are 2 problems. Front one messes with my GPS signal from time to time. Rear one screws up my Keyless Go, start and radio reception.
In my wife's Toyota - no problem. Its its tight to the Porsche Vehicles.

How do I stop the radio or magnetic interference. I have both cameras hooked up to the power outlets. Would direct hard wire help? Anybody with these problems on a Porsche?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually reading that. Thanks. I ordered a new power cable to see if that is the issue. I also ordered a hard wire kit to test that next.
Do you think its the power adapter issue or the camera issue. I have a G1W or G1W C or H. I dont remember now. I tried a different dash cam in the rear but no success. Maybe the camera is too cheap. Dunno. I unplugged my detector and a dash cam to see if my GPS issues shop.
Im thinking of an upgrade anyway to a one with parking mode but I need more research.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Do you think its the power adapter issue or the camera issue. I have a G1W or G1W C or H. I dont remember now. I tried a different dash cam in the rear but no success....
To be honest I wouldn't even venture a guess - it could be anything.

In my wife's case I was using an A118-C and G1W-H and the symptoms would change swapping the cameras front to back but would not go away. Changing the power adapters would change the interference pattern but would not make it go away. Changing the 12V splitter to a different model would change the symptoms but not make it go away. :mad: You see where I'm going with this.

Given enough time I could probably determine the ideal combination but it's now working to her satisfaction so I'm trying to get over my perfectionist OCD attitude and let it be. This, unfortunately, will only last until the 2nd A118-C to replace the G1W-H is delivered and I start the process over again. :( (I'm hoping the G1W-H is the root cause but I'm not going to bet the bank on it.)

Since you've read the thread I linked to you can see the variables involved - thanks to @SawMaster - and know there is no single cause and as a result no single solution.

There could be two reasons: need shielded power cable or shielded dashcamera, or both.

Back