Major over exposure issues on bright days

If I'm completely honest, I don't think the RC rates as highly as the GC in the grand scheme of things. We're not going to see any real improvement until the RC starts selling as much as the GC.

From a purely business perspective, I understand. But as an RC owner, I want more. If even a tenth of the effort was put into improving the RC firmware, it would already be 100x more than it is.

I really wanted to love this camera but the complete lack of interest in making it better by the manufacturer makes that impossible.

we have been doing work on the RC, quite a lot of it was done last year, I did notice from reviewing your videos that the issue is much more pronounced when the CPL is on and we probably need to look more closely at that to improve the situation you have now, the CPL was never something we needed to consider previously as there wasn't one, there aren't many of these getting around with CPL's installed so we need to be careful about adjusting things that might make it worse for others, it is something that is being looked at now though

Then again, the recent firmware updates have a come a long way to towards making the GC more viable for my driving situation even if the issue still persists.
I find the center AE setting of beta 26 best, LOW still makes a dark video but center look fine to me.

I find the center AE setting of beta 26 best, LOW still makes a dark video but center look fine to me.

I'm pleased to hear beta 26 is working for you.

As for me, you seem to have missed what I actually said in your quote from my post where I mentioned, "my driving situation" or in my previous posts in this thread (and elsewhere) where I spoke of, "a vehicle with a dark hood attempting to contend with a high dynamic range setting along tree lined roads in a rural setting".

With the beta 26 firmware, I often get footage that looks excellent which is a big improvement over previous firmware but that is usually when I am driving in situations that look more like the sample footage you often post when you are driving on a major highways out in the open where, for example, your most similar experience to mine is driving under an occasional bridge or overpass. If one is driving in a more forested environment much of the time, in and out of a canopy of trees it would be like driving under a bridge or overpass every few seconds.

It has now been one and a half years since first purchasing an SG9665GC and none of the eleven other different dash cams I have owned in the last 6 years or a few others I've had experience with have manifested this problem to this degree. The recent efforts to cure the problem have been very productive but now there is a tendency for the camera to produce dark looking footage and that is a new problem that had not existed previously.

BTW, here are a few screen shots of the bicyclist I spoke of.

He's right there in front of me in the glare but you can't see him.
bicyclist2.jpg

Here you can almost make him out. It is not highly unusual for some dash cams to experience what we are seeing here but the GC has a history of struggling with this issue more than most and it generally takes more time to recover from an upper tonal range blowout. (much improved though in recent firmware!)
bicyclist3.jpg

Here, despite the fact that it is a BRILLIANT sunny day, the footage looks unusually dark and this issue has only appeared on bright days since the recent betas were introduced. It is as if the new firmware is causing the camera to overcompensate for the conditions now that my vehicle is in full sunlight out from under the canopy of trees.
bicyclist1.jpg

Here 45 minutes later, I'm in a parking lot and things looks OK (very nice and sharp actually) but the footage again looks much darker than reality and shadow details are lost.
dark.jpg

The following day was overcast and rainy, so the camera doesn't need to contend with a high contrast/high dynamic range scenario. The footage looks excellent!
highway.jpg

overcast.jpg

Anyway, this is a thread about the SGGC12RC and so I will refrain from talking about this any further until I can post (or even repost this material) about it in the appropriate thread(s).

Last edited:
Another factor I just realized...my car has a HUD(heads up display), which requires a special windshield, either coated or layered in. Not sure if that would make a difference but figured I'd mention it.

Any progress?

Back