Making your own dashmat

@Lola, don't listen to such goofy opinion and advice. Enjoy all the episodes and reach your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favour. Watch it all except the last episode.

There are female-centric themes to the whole show, but they don't spoil it. Until the very last episode. And then it gets spoiled big time. Maybe if you like a Mills and Boone romantic tragedy (if there is such a thing) you'll be able to stomach the ending. My jaw dropped at how stupid, soppy and rushed it was.

Now you know I will watch the last episode:):D

@Lola, don't listen to such goofy opinion and advice. Enjoy all the episodes and reach your own conclusions.

Rajagra is just being funny. He knows after watching all the season/episodes, no way am I going to miss the last episode:cool::D.

I'm so into True Blood that before I knew it, 1:00 AM had rolled up :D

well that guy do look like a pink fellow. :)

It remains to be seen, but from what I gather from my understanding about Vantablack, even if it becomes a consumer product, is that it will probably be fairly delicate and not hold up to abrasion very well if it is to perform as advertised based on how it works. Even the products I've used over the years in my studio for blackout purposes such as flocked vinyl, velour or velvets need to be replaced after awhile just from normal handling as they lose some of their blackout properties. Another question about Vantablack is that how lightfast it will be after prolonged exposure to strong sunlight on a hot dashboard. Of course, the final question will be the price. In any event, the fact that we may be able to get our hands on some of this stuff is very exciting.

Problem with cars is their dusty and dust is reflective.

Its a very long way before the nanotube vantablack is viable for consumer applications.

I tried to get a sample of it for possible flocking material. To even get a sample you needed to be a part of a scientific industry and it costs like $500 for a square cm.

I've mentioned Acktar before. It's a company that exclusively produces super black coatings many of which come fairly close to Vantablack's abilities such as MAXiBLACK. They even have an online store.

It shall be done, I put a note on my frige, get cheap VHB tape at Walmart :D.

Lola Dashmallow wasn't advising you to get VHB tape. From memory of my experience with 3M products, VHB = very high bond. Put that stuff anywhere, and you'll never get it off. He was advising you to use a very low adhesion tape which leaves no residues.

VHB is held on by surface tension. (No nasty "glue"). It comes off quite clean in my experience.
I suspected that was the case at one point, because the VHB I had was terrible at sticking to general surfaces. But I checked the 3M website, and they are in fact adhesive based, you just need to put them on the right kind of surfaces.
There may be a type of VHB without adhesive, but I saw no reference to one on their site.

Well what ever it is, adhesive or not definitely more friendly than the generic double sided tape which is nearly impossible to remove.

VHB is held on by surface tension. (No nasty "glue"). It comes off quite clean in my experience.

Are you sure you have VHB? If so maybe the surface was greasy or dirty because my memory of VHB is it's very high bond and when I look at the 3M data sheet and description for VHB tape: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/868952O/3m-vhb-tapes-3m-adhesive-sealants.pdf

3M™ VHB™ Tapes are made of solid acrylic
foam with pressure sensitive adhesive on
two sides. While a screw or a rivet can join
two substrates at a single point, specialty
bonding tape permanently adheres one
substrate to another and spreads the stress load across the entire
length of the joint. Once substrates are joined with 3M™ VHB™ Tape, a
virtually indestructible “weld” is created. The bond occurs immediately
on contact and builds to 90 percent bond strength in 24 hours.

I think the magic of VHB comes from the fact it is a sandwich of two adhesive surfaces with a flexible layer between that distributes any pulling force.
But once you do get one edge to separate from an object (e.g. by scraping) you can pull it away with all force being focused at the 'seam' where the tape meets the object. So it can peel off easily. At least when we're talking about glass.

I think the magic of VHB comes from the fact it is a sandwich of two adhesive surfaces with a flexible layer between that distributes any pulling force.
But once you do get one edge to separate from an object (e.g. by scraping) you can pull it away with all force being focused at the 'seam' where the tape meets the object. So it can peel off easily. At least when we're talking about glass.

VHB can be hard to remove if you put it on the recommended surface. I would not recommend putting any VHB tapes or anything that doesn't state it has low / low to medium level adhesion and clean release anywhere near a dashboard. Yes some varieties have a lower shear force if peeled than some tapes, but It' still Very high Bond if it grabs and sticks properly. Again from a reseller of the VHB tape variety I bought (VHB 4941p):

https://www.stickyproducts.co.uk/products/3m-4941p-vhb-acrylic-foam-tape?variant=15190714567

3M 4941P is a conformable, very high bond acrylic foam tape ideal for badge and trim mounting in the automotive industries.

I used mine to adhere some heavy HID Ballasts (car lighting components) to the bodywork under the bonnet and whilst I did manage to remove them when I needed to in the end, believe me the force I had to use would have ripped a dashboard apart. It literally flexed the steel on the inner wings. Then again, stick it on the wrong surface or an unclean or greasy surface, and it won't adhere well (which is what I think your experience might have been) - my ballasts fell off at first despite cleaning the surface with Isopropyl alcohol (although I got them clean enough in the end).

I found my tape here - you can read the info back and front. There are different varieties of VHB of course, but again my understanding is that the VHB prefix is Very High Bond. The picture on the front leaves little to the imagination when it comes to stated strength of bond, again something that should act as a clear warning about dashboard use unless you want a potentially permanent mounting.......

294mpw0.jpg

35mfoeb.jpg

VHB covers a wide variety of strengths, from something more than the usual double-stick tape to a bond King Kong would have trouble defeating. Just use the specific types experienced folks here recommend and all should be well ;) Heck, even the cheap generic double-stick tape would probably work here for awhile or even adhesive 'Velcro' pads with one side sewn to the dashmat. Certain glues could also be used and removed entirely on the sake of the car. It's not rocket-science being needed, just common sense and some advice from the experienced :)

Phil

Back