Matego MG600 up for sale on Amazon and Ebay

Sam369

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Matego MG600 (made by Shenzhen Onstar Technology Co. Ltd) up for sale on Amazon and Ebay from US seller.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B017C3JMR4https://www.ebay.com/itm/121798595757
I believe it's the same thing as Street Guardian SGZC12RC.
It's said to be one of the most reliable dash cams in China.
Sample video clips are available for download from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tq8pstjamqy617u/AAAZwZ1yy2Iw1jPrXNiNMW6Oa?dl=0

Matego MG600E with built-in GPS and radar detector function is also available, but the warning voice is still in Chinese before next firmware update. If that is not an issue for you, you can get the product with about $20 more.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B017C3ACK0https://www.ebay.com/itm/121798669141

Actually, I am the seller. Since both of you have conflict of interests, I don't know how objective your comments are.

I will be as honest as possible here. I sourced the products directly from the manufacturer (Shenzhen Onstar Technology Co. Ltd). Before doing that, I asked someone I know in China who is selling different brands of dash cams. He told me that Matego MG600 serials are the most reliable ones he is selling. I was also considering Rexing at the time, but he said he could receive more or less returns of Rexing ones due to quality issues, but customers almost never complained about the quality of Matego MG600 serials.

The sales manager of Shenzhen Onstar Technology Co. Ltd told me that you got the products from them, so I think Street Guardian SGZC12RC is just rebranded Matego MG600. I will ask her again later to see if that's their marketing trick and report back, though.

Regardless of whether what you said is true to some extent, you do not offer better warranty. If out of focus is an issue, customers at least will not worry about paying international shipping for return. If that's indeed an issue making aftersale support costly, as the manufacturer of Panorama serials, Shenzhen Onstar Technology Co. Ltd certainly has the ability to make necessary updates to the products. If some customers think one year warranty is not enough, they can also pay about $20 to get 3 years more on eBay. Even then, it's much cheaper than Street Guardian SGZC12RC.

As to firmware updates, I know at least three versions. I am also requesting them to add some more features, but I don't know when they can make that happen, though.

I figured you are the seller, product is not the same even if based on the same base hardware, we have a lot of things changed in ours, our products have replacement warranty

I'd ask you nicely not to use our name in your advertising though, it's trademarked

Are you a business or just someone who bought a few of these and is reselling them as you have no feedback on Amazon (and I'm guessing you meant to call the shop QualityDashCam and not QulityDashCam?)

Only reason I ask is that one business around here disappeared recently (blackboxed.ca) and has left customers with warranty issues without a leg to stand on so I'm slightly paranoid these days when people say they're offering warranties with goods if they're new startups. Another did it recently and posted a few times and then disappeared not answering questions once they'd dumped some stock.

I'm just buying a new TV which come with 5 year warranties over here and I'm trying to ensure I buy it from a company that I think will still be around in 5 years - harder than you'd think!

@jokiin
Just removed Street Guardian from the listings. I did not mean to violate any conventions. I just did not know much, for I just started.

@reverend
Thanks for pointing out that mistake. I really appreciate that.

I just started on Amazon. I have been selling on eBay for a while, though. I plan to expand the inventory. I am still contacting sourcers in China.

I think eBay account should be more reliable than Amazon's. People say sometimes seller accounts can be closed on Amazon due to careless operation. If you worried about warranty, you may consider choosing eBay over Amazon. I certainly would like to honor any warranty promised. You could also look into the SquareTrade warranty, to see if that is more reliable than ones provided by sellers.

@jokiin
Just removed Street Guardian from the listings. I did not mean to violate any conventions. I just did not know much, for I just started.

thanks, we can do takedown notices to have the listings removed and get all legal but it just wastes a lot of time and causes unnecessary work for everyone

reality is what you're selling the same as the China version, nothing wrong with that, it's not identical to what we do but it's still going to suit someone that wants that version and wants to buy locally rather than trying to buy from China, a lot of people don't want to buy from China as they feel it's too risky

Mercedes-Benz standard retail --- Mercedes-Benz AMG --- Maybach.

They may look almost the same outside and come from one company, but "I wonder" why AMG is double the price than standard retail version and why Maybach is the MOST expensive ? Which of those 3 models have 24/7/365 personal call-centre help-line to answer instantly to any questions ? ;)

They may look almost the same outside and come from one company, but "I wonder" why AMG is double the price than standard retail version and why Maybach is the MOST expensive ? Which of those 3 models have 24/7/365 personal call-centre help-line to answer instantly to any questions ? ;)

Which dash cam should I buy for my Maybach? :D

I doubt 24x7 support is so desirable for dash cams. They are simple to operate, so technical questions that require timely addressing are rare. As for return requests, if they are addressed within 24 hours, most customers would not complain. I usually reply to messages from customers within one hour anyway.

They are simple to operate, so technical questions that require timely addressing are rare.

On this point you are wrong. If to go trough DCT forum posts, majority of questions are technical- or operational related.

I believe it's the same thing as Street Guardian SGZC12RC.

believing is not knowing ;)
No, it's not the same thing. There are many differences between generic model and SG. I have answered to that in my post 12.

Even then, it's much cheaper than Street Guardian SGZC12RC.

and why they are cheaper ?

They may look almost the same outside and come from one company, but "I wonder" why AMG is double the price than standard retail version and why Maybach is the MOST expensive ? ;)

I forgot to add here "Brabus" as well which is also from Benz and "looks similar", but for some reasons it is double / triple the price of "similar looking" standard retail version :)

I am sure there is a market for cheaper generic model as well, but it is wrong to say "it's the same thing".

@niko
I don't think you have provided solid evidence that they are made by different manufacturers with different hardware. It's totally possible that, as long as you order more than 500 or 1000 pieces, many Chinese manufacturers will put any brand/logo on the units you ask them to. They have not got back to me yet, but I still think it's possible that the differences are brand/logo, firmware, aftersale support.

As to your analogy of Mercedes-Benz, I did not look into that, but it's possible that they have different hardware. I know different trim levels of some cars can double or even triple the price, but I also know that it's not just differences of aftersale support, powertrain tuning, or software for infotain system. They usually have different engines, transmissions, and interior features.

A product can be cheaper for various reasons. That doesn't necessarily mean compromised experience for customers. You can check it out. Matego MG600 is sold at more than $300 or $400 somewhere else. Do you think those sellers can legitimately argue that because they are different from what I sell and their support is much better? Sometimes it's just different philosophy. They may think someone unlucky knowing nothing about dash cams may buy at that price, and they can profit hundreds of dollars.

I did not look into the support you, Pier28, or jokiin provide. Let's say it's 24X7 phone calls answered by people who can address the problems. I doubt many people are willing to pay much more just for that, if other sellers can also address questions within a day, or even within an hour.

@niko
I don't think you have provided solid evidence that they are made by different manufacturers with different hardware. It's totally possible that, as long as you order more than 500 or 1000 pieces, many Chinese manufacturers will put any brand/logo on the units you ask them to. They have not got back to me yet, but I still think it's possible that the differences are brand/logo, firmware, aftersale support.

As to your analogy of Mercedes-Benz, I did not look into that, but it's possible that they have different hardware. I know different trim levels of some cars can double or even triple the price, but I also know that it's not just differences of aftersale support, powertrain tuning, or software for infotain system. They usually have different engines, transmissions, and interior features.

A product can be cheaper for various reasons. That doesn't necessarily mean compromised experience for customers. You can check it out. Matego MG600 is sold at more than $300 or $400 somewhere else. Do you think those sellers can legitimately argue that because they are different from what I sell and their support is much better? Sometimes it's just different philosophy. They may think someone unlucky knowing nothing about dash cams may buy at that price, and they can profit hundreds of dollars.

I did not look into the support you, Pier28, or jokiin provide. Let's say it's 24X7 phone calls answered by people who can address the problems. I doubt many people are willing to pay much more just for that, if other sellers can also address questions within a day, or even within an hour.

I think you will understand what I am trying to say only after you get the comparison point @: regular Benz vs AMG vs Brabus vs Maybach.

I think you will understand what I am trying to say only after you get the comparison point @: regular Benz vs AMG vs Brabus vs Maybach.

The Maybach Landaulet semi-convertible model cost just over $1 million. If you have it modified and enhanced by Brabus you could add another 150,000 to 500,000 or more to that figure. They both come out of the same original factory.

I'm not really sure I understand this whole discussion at this point, talking about ultra luxury products compared with the world we all actually live in but just because two products on the market share the same appearance doesn't make them the same on this inside. Just visit your local supermarket for countless examples of identical looking packages that contain different amounts and qualities of ingredients.

Brabus.png

I think the point Hiniko is trying to make is this:
A company XYZ have created a device they are using as a platform. This device can be sold under their own brand (but not necessarily) and also be offered to whoever is interested in buying it.
The buying company may request product modifications that can be:
- visual appearance
- software algorithms/behaviour
- hardware modifications
- a specific market customisation and/or certifications

Depending on a contract, the OEM may or may not include those modifications in their platform product and offer it to other buyers.

This means that if company ABC is approaching XYZ and asking for their device (let's call it BS600) but demanding that XYZ will do some mods/customisations. The XYZ agrees and ABC then starting to market their product ZZ600, which is based on BS600. At the same time XYZ is marketing their own product BS600 which is similar to ZZ600 but don't have the mods required by ABC.
Therefore, while ZZ600 and BS600 share some (or most) of its design, you can't call it the same device.

Did I manage to explain it or just made things worse? :D

Back