Max supported SD Card size

I use SanDisk memory cards in my dashcam that I've had and a few other people use the same. All bought from reputable retailers like Tossco and never had any issues with them.

Apart from one that has been corrupted beyond belief so it can't even be reformatted. But that is because the camera wasn't powering down because the battery was goosed so it wasn't able to save clips after the ignition was turned off.

It seems odd that the PRO writes slower yet it is advised for high speed cameras but can perhaps be explained by Kemmen's post above.
Somewhat surprised that the possible write speed of the card can be an issue would have thought the bus speed of the camera would be limiting factor.
Correct. There's no point in having a 100Mb/s card if the camera's data rate is only (say) 25Mb/s. Nothing will work faster. The card won't speed up the camera's data rate, so a 30Mb/s card will do nicely.

A problem does arises however when the device's data rate is greater than the card write speed.

If NB say a 30Mb/s card is fast enough, why not believe them.

Hey M8TJB do not have a go at me, I did not disbelieve anyone, least of all Nextbase.
Below is the exchange between myself and NB TIffany on this very Forum.

My post - Dec 28 2017
"because I will be fitting the rear cam as well Im considering a buying this card;
Samsung Extreme PRO 128 GB SDXC Memory Card up to 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30
Tiffany, can you advise of its 512GW suitability please?"

Tiffany replied - Dec 30
"That card looks perfect - definitely recommend the 128Gb if you're looking for the rear cam it'll give you more time to play with."

I requested advice from the manufacturers representative and followed that advice to the letter.
Now less than 8months later I am informed the card that cost me nearly £50 'is not compatible'

How do you think how I feel about all this?

:(

Last edited:
Hey M8TJB do not have a go at me, I did not disbelieve anyone, least of all Nextbase.
Sorry. I didn't think I was pointing critisism of non belief directly at you, but more generally. I'm sorry that you took it that way.
Just like I would be. P'd off.
The main cut and thrust of my post was about card speeds, and if NB say 30Mb/s is fast enough, then 30Mb/s is fast enough. The main point, I think' is more to do with the number of write cycles the card has to endure, and presumably the slower card is better than the faster card in this respect.

You might be a bit P'd off Mike but to be honest I can't see any reason not to use the card. I use one and others seem to be using one with no issues either.

£50 does seem a bit expensive though, £32 on Amazon.

The write cycles may be the issue though seem to recall its somewhere about 100,000 and cards have circuitry that spreads writes over all areas of the card.

As it happens, I am using the same card as Mike (post #12) and Kremmen in my BlackVue 750 2CH. OK, it,s not 4k, but neither is the NB 512 in 2CH mode. I got it before I had even heard of High Endurance et. al.
Not been used a lot, but OK so far.

Antoeknee.
I had issues with the camera after connecting the rear cam.
I contacted Tiffany and she asked for pics of my EVO card, replying immediately saying it was not compatible.
When a manufacturer tells you something its normal to heed that advice, if only to protect yourself should you have a warrantee claim.

My EVO card came from Scan.co.uk an authorised Samsung retailer and cost £47.99 to be precise.
I did not buy a cheap card from Amazon because I wanted a genuine Samsung, not the chance of a counterfeit.
Buy right, buy once, and why I only use Nextbase cameras.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a specific genuine high speed Class 10 U3 card won't work but others do. As M8TJT, mine isn't used daily but is still working AOK.
If it does fail then I'll certainly heed the advice next time.

Perhaps Tiffany will clarify.

I expect many many cards will 'work', the question is are they compatible?
Think of a mix of wet and dry tyres on an F1 racing car, at 30mph the car will drive along a straight thus proving the tyres work, but would you expect the same in a GP race.

I have the best front/rear car-camera set-up on the market and I want it to perform to its full potential, today, tomorrow and for the next ten years. That is why I follow the manufacturers recommendations. Simples.

Do they maintain a list of compatible cards on their website and put a little note in the box to direct you to it and a link in the description online when you buy it.

If not they should do to save a lot of expense and time in the consumer.

Below is the exchange between myself and NB TIffany on this very Forum.

My post - Dec 28 2017
"because I will be fitting the rear cam as well Im considering a buying this card;
SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 GB SDXC Memory Card up to 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30
Tiffany, can you advise of its 512GW suitability please?"

Tiffany replied - Dec 30
"That card looks perfect - definitely recommend the 128Gb if you're looking for the rear cam it'll give you more time to play with."

I requested advice from the manufacturers representative and followed that advice to the letter.
Now less than 8months later I am informed the card that cost me nearly £50 'is not compatible'

:(
New #31
That mentions a SanDisk card, your previous post mentions a Samsung.

Now I'm confused and will read the thread from the beginning.

The way I see it we are the field testers for a cutting edge product.
Firmware has reached 22.5, the rear cam took ages to come to market, cable connectors do not fit snug to the camera body, the user manual is now being rewritten and now the SD recommended in December 2017 is not compatible.

Nothing uncovers glitches in a product quicker that the end users, even our own MOD thought they had the best boots until they failed miserably in the Falklands.

IMO we still have the best front/rear cameras on the market and the customer support isnt bad either.

Yeah. It does feel like we are beta testers.

In other news I've just moved my front camera as I think it was blocking too much of zone 2. Really got it begind the rear view mirror now almost out of sight.

Where can we get more 3m from, what type is it?

Cheers Skynet.
Edit/Correct to Samsung.

The red tape adhesive pads are what I am seeking.
I have asked Tiffany but she seems to have missed it.

Problem I found with it being behind the rear view mirror is its difficult to adjust the settings.
Prefer to have mine alongside (Golf).

Make sure you get 3M VHB which stands for 'very high bond'

Lots of confusion about the SD cards. Just wondering what 'not compatible' actually means?

The Sammy card I have defo works and I've had zero issues with it. I can understand NB having 'approved' cards as this will remove a variable when trying to resolve any issues.

I purchased this from Amazon and it appears to work ok is this considered compatible.

51cNtpuJGhL.jpg

Thats the one I have, albeit a 128GB. Seems to work fine for long journeys. Time will tell.

They defo need to provide access to a maintained list.

Cheers Skynet.
Edit/Correct to Samsung.

The red tape adhesive pads are what I am seeking.
I have asked Tiffany but she seems to have missed it.

Problem I found with it being behind the rear view mirror is its difficult to adjust the settings.
Prefer to have mine alongside (Golf).

I'm in a Civic and found below too visible, to the left is out of play of the wipers so pointless, to the right encroaches in to zone a.

I can now just see the bottom edge of the screen and it is to the drivers side behind the rear mirror.

Yes, to access or dismount I have to pull up the mirror but that isnt frequent enough to annoy me.

Back