Maxed out parking mode

rubyred

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! I'm new here. I've read so much on these cameras and I can hardly find exactly what I'm looking for.I'm hoping someone here can give me a suggestion on what to buy. I live in a high crime area. I'm looking for a security camera in parking mode. I want to see the front of the car, behind the car, and also inside the car if someone breaks in. I want to be connected to the cloud while in parking mode and get a phone alert to any motion detection. Is this asking too much?!
I've been reading about the BlackVue DR750-2ch or the DR900-2ch; If I get either, I would need a third camera for the inside, right? Also what is this about adding a battery pack and having to drive it an hour a day? I live 5 min from work. I don't drive an hour a day. Any insight?

Thank you!

Yeah if you want those smart features, then blackvue are about the only solution, so you will need a front & rear model for those angles, and then a single channel ( if they have that with the smarts too )
As you touch on yourself if you dont drive much daily but want to use parking guard all the time you are parked, then you will run into some power issues, while a car generator do charge a lot faster than a dashcam discharge, then it still take some driving to make ends meet.
Also you do need some light for parking guard to be useful, thats why i went with CCTV at home cuz in the back yard it is pitch dark at night.
The yard now do have a PIR LED light, but it will be comming from behind who ever approach my car, so i still think now even with the LED light parking guard will still be largely miss for me.

I have a CCTV camera aimed at my car where it is parked, i find this a much better solution, at least for "at home" security. And its damn rare i park out on town where i would like to use parking guard, so up until now my only option in that regard have been to power one of my cameras with a USB power bank.

CCTV get pretty smart too, i have motion detect on, so if there are anything large moving near my car my tablet give a alarm ( use tablet bedside for viewing cameras )
Modern IP cameras can also track and zoom on movement, sadly my older camera dont support that cuz it would be nice with a wider FOV and then camera would zoom and track anything moving in the back year not just near my car.

Thanks for your reply. a CCTV sounds great but I'm not sure where I live I can put something outside like that. I live in a condo association. Maybe I can hide it in a tree? Maybe I can have it face out a window but then I won't be able to use the motion detection? I would still need something while I'm at work as well. I'm going to look into this. Thanks!

I have my PTZ camera screwed to the top of my 2 floor balcony door.
Mine are a pretty large model, but today if you make do with 10 X optical zoom you can get a camera half the size of mine. ( 4-5 " diameter )
in the above video the camera are also not as much zoomed in as i normally have it, you need it this way as you otherwise will have problem identifying someone in the video.

If you park in the same spot then you dont even need PTZ in which case the camera can be even smaller / discrete as you can make do with a box or bullet camera with manual zoom you set once.

My camera in the living room facing the street below are inside the glass of the window, it do give a little reflection problems but i have not bothered with fitting a CPL filter to it, also that camera i pretty much just use to keep a eye for the post man which here will just walk past your door with your parcel and then claim he have tried to deliver it.

I do park in the same spot every night, however the view isn't ideal. This tree is totally in the way. I really like the idea of a CCTV but not sure how to get the view. I'm going to play around with this with a camera I already have and see if I can accomplish this.

Maybe you can swap P spot with some one if they are assigned.
Maybe if the people flanking you have apartments with a better view, you can get together and set up the camera in a better place, my NVR ( Network Video Recorder ) allow for access over the internet and you can set up admin and user accounts on it as you please.

A little NVR like my Dahua ( 4 channel / 1080p ) cost less than a good dashcam, throw in a 2 TB hard drive and you will have a large back catalog of parking guard, not least if you just have 1 camera going.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322214150225

Thanks for the recommendation!

NP. Just making sure you are aware of all your options, and have a chance of finding the ideal setup for you.

If I lived 5 minutes from work I would just walk to work

Haha! Well walking on an expressway isn’t my thing.

Back