ENK2302

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Folks here seem to be using cards larger than 128GB, yet the specs seem to say that the max is 128.
I bought 2 128 cards, Samsung extreme Pro versions. Should I have purchased a larger card? I already used one in my phone, so the other could be a decent spare, but is there a hard maximum size?
No point to put in a larger card if the u1000 will only use 128??

Sometimes a manufacturer's recommended max card size is simply because they didn't test any larger ones. Or they had issues trying the brand of larger card they tested. In the case of Thinkware and Blackvue who sell and recommend only their own cards it may be that they don't offer any larger cards.

If others report having success with a card in the exact samke cam as you have, then most likely you will be successful if you use the exact same card they have. A similar card may also work. Oversize cards generally need to be formatted to whatever the file system is for smaller (normal) cards using a computer before formatting them in the cam. If it seems to be working OK at that point then check again when the card fills and overwriting begins- somethimes that will be where larger cards fail.

There are also ways to change things like file size parameters in SD cards which can 'trick' the camera into using a larger card which it might not otherwise accept. The only places I've seen mention of that are the Russian dashcam forums. Those folks fearlessly go farther and deeper into dashcam firmware and software modifications than I've seen done on any English forums so if you can't find anything here on DCT you might give those a look, for if anyone has tried it they will be the ones who did :cool:

Phil

I use the Sandisk 256GB High Endurance card here: SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card
I have completely filled it with the U1000 and it works just fine.

Just signed up. Firtst post. First Dashcam.
Picked up a U1000 and a Cellink Neo. Got everything up and running. Updated to latest firmware. The unit works fine with the included Thinkware 32G card. I purchased the exact card you linked (saw that card recommended on another site) and I can not get the thing to work.
When that card is in the cam it keeps saying "memory card format needed" or some such... Tried format on PC in exFAT and FAT 32. Same results. I still get the "card needs format" message from the cam. I even tried holding in the manual record button... It tells me format starting, then format completed. 1 second after the Format completed message I get the same "card needs formatting" message.

Any ideas?
Might just return the card to Amazon and try another.

Thanks.

The 256G card keeps the cam in a boot loop. After many warnings about the card needing to be formatted, it'll say card error restarting cam. This just loops over and over. During this process wifi is not turned on, nor will it turn on. This makes reformatting via the cam's app impossible. The only option to use the cameras built in formatting routine is by holding the manual record button for 5 seconds to force the camera to format. As stated above I've done this to no avail. As soon as the "Format Successful" audio message is played the cam immediately then says "Card format required" again, and the boot loop starts over.

The boot loop is as follows:

"Card needs format" audio message about 4x
"Card error, restarting" message 1x
*cam restarts*
"Card needs format" audio message about 4x
"Card error, restarting" message 1x
*cam restarts*

You might have a bad card. Does it work in a computer?
Try putting some files on it using a computer, see how it responds.
When you put it back in the camera it will format it anyway.

did you try doing the in camera formatting prior to formatting in your computer?

check if their playback program for your computer offers a format option also

1) I did not format in the camera before doing a format on the PC. There are a lot of fakes sold through Amazon, and I always run CrystalDiskMark and h2testw after a format on a new card to make sure it performs as intended as well as has the capacity it should.

2) Thinkware Dashcam Viewer for PC has the same options as the phone app, so yes, it has a format option. Just tried that option. No luck. :( But good call!

You might have a bad card. Does it work in a computer?
Try putting some files on it using a computer, see how it responds.
When you put it back in the camera it will format it anyway.

I'm thinking there might be some weirdness going on with the partition. Works as intended on the PC, see above Quote reply for the testing I do on new cards.

use SDformatter and do a full overwrite (heads up, will take ages) to get the card back to factory spec, after that then try formatting with the camera or their player

Try this in a command prompt:
diskpart
list disk
select disk [sdcard number]
clean

Success!
Deleted volume of drive and created a new partition in Windows Disc Manager.
Moved over to MiniTool Partition Wizard and Set Partition as Primary, Set Active, then Formatted.
Opened Thinkware Dashcam Viewer on PC and did a format.
Put card into Dashcam... Voilà! Works perfectly.

Not sure what was up with the card but all is well now.

Thanks all for being patient with me on this and helping out.

I’ve been running a sandisk a1 400gb card in my u1000 since launch day without any issues.

Running a Sandisk SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA Extreme 256GB just fine

I’ve been running a sandisk a1 400gb card in my u1000 since launch day without any issues.
Could you please supply a link to where you purchased the card?

Is it an A1 or A2 card?

Thanks

Kind regards

Peter

Sandisk Ultra A1 256 card seems to work for me (so far).

Before I use Sandisk Ultra A1 128 Gb card.

I also have the Thinkware U1000 dual dash cam. But I have a different experience.

Just the background. I like to record of my trips, especially when I drive along scenic routes. The micro SD card that came with it is only 32GB. It only records 1 hour of driving/parking. My driving trip can be up to 2 or 3 hours and return trip another 2 or 3 hours, total 4 to 6 hours round trip. So 1 hour of recording is not enough. I bought a 256GB microSD card.

Luckily for me, I didn't get any error. Mine just worked out of the packaging. The only thing I changed was the label on the microSD card so it's more descriptive. Before I inserted the new 256GB microSD into the U1000, I put it first into the PC just see what's inside. It's 238.3 GB total, with 32MB unallocated partition and 238GB exFAT. I just renamed the label, then I put it to U1000. And it works right away and started to record. No need to format. No error. I also checked the partition of the original card. It's FAT32 not the new card's exFAT format. So both formats FAT32 and exFAT are supported by U1000. There was the 32MB on the new card that I didn't bother to format the card for, as the card already worked out of the packaging. After all, 32MB non-issue as I have 238GB capacity, and more than 7x recording length of the original 32GB.

I attached the original 32GB card and the new 256GB card pictures for your info.
I'm sure there are other 256GB or higher capacity microSD cards that should work with the U1000 out there, you can read a lot in the dashcam forums.
But the one that worked for me is the SanDisk MAX Performance 256GB. Got mine on Amazon.ca. This post is to help other U1000 dual dash cam owners or would be owners who may want to get a larger microSD card for longer video recording. Good Luck, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Attachments

• OriginalSD-32GB-front.jpg
    OriginalSD-32GB-front.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 10
  • OriginalSD-32GB-back.jpg
    OriginalSD-32GB-back.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 13
  • NewSD-256GB-front.jpg
    NewSD-256GB-front.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 17
  • NewSD-256GB-back.jpg
    NewSD-256GB-back.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 14
I have seen someone here run up to 400 Gb micro SD card.

Based on my experience, the camera doesn't have any issue with U3 cards. Actual results might vary.

I've been running a Samsung EVO Plus 512GB Card in both my U1000 and Blackvue DR900S with no issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ilovepurple159 U1000 5
N U1000 2
I U1000 3
W U1000 8
W U1000 5
Back