maybe the DVR of the future?

mollydog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just come across what I think would be the way to go with car DVR’s, in that the only thing stuck on the windscreen is a small lens to capture the image with and everything else is tucked away somewhere in the car like those old DVD changers that held 6 DVD’s in the boot or under the driver seat

I’ve seen this image

of what is now available/nearly available (not sure its made for car use)

the spec of this unit isn’t anything to shout about but neither were the first DVR’s
if a larger CPU could handle more lenses it’s what I’ve been looking forward to, I’ve crossed out the 2 items I think as a DVR aren’t needed, and might be better changing the battery for some capacitors, any opinions?

You can already get a 4 channel NVR that are the size of a pack if cigarettes, but it only have one input so the 4 cameras have to be funneled thru a switch first, and also it don't have build in storage so you will need a external hard drive too.
My 4 channel NVR are not larger than the 10 Disk Denon CD player i use to have in the car, and it have 4 inputs and internal hard drive, with a SSD for storage you could easy use it in a car as it is 12 V too.

Problems being:
1: are slow to boot ( take a few minutes )
2: are not really coded for dashcam use, but this are doable i think, you can run fairly high bitrates, at least as high as current dashcams

If i hit the lotto jackpot i do think i will put a high end CCTV system on my "car" probably even a mast camera i can rise up by a push of a button and a thermal / regular PTZ camera on top of that.
I need something external for sure cuz 3-4 inch thick windows are not optimal for on glass cameras i think :)

I’ve just come across what I think would be the way to go with car DVR’s, in that the only thing stuck on the windscreen is a small lens to capture the image with and everything else is tucked away somewhere in the car like those old DVD changers that held 6 DVD’s in the boot or under the driver seat
The K2S and forthcoming SG9663DR are based on a DVR in a box, with cables running to remote cameras. The cameras are just big enough for an adjustable mounting angle. The 'box' has a screen for the menu and camera alignment, and contains the CPU, capacitor and microSD card. Optional GPS is also wired to the box.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/k2s-dual-channel-fullhd-1080p-hidden-recording-system.37816/

How long can the ribbon cable to the lens/CMOS module be? There's been a couple people who 'hid' a Mobius like this, but the cable limit is short before you lose data. I imagine you could do something similar with most dashcams including those with wifi or Bluetooth remotes as long as the PCB didn't overheat.

Phil

To be honest, at least for the 4 channel systems of the future, i am hoping for some sort of proprietary cable to go into the main unit and then fan out to the 4 cameras ( maybe other remote things too )
The 5 wires in the K2S already present some problems in where you can install the unit i think, so if you had 2 more to deal with would not make it more easy,
Say a 1M long cable with 1 plug in the DVR end, and X plugs for devises in the other end, providing that "adapter" wire are not super thick that would ease up things a little i think.

The stout USB cables for the K2S make some other cables i have at home like say network cables feel like cheap garbage.
So if that's the kind of cable thickness and stiffness we have to deal with in systems like that, then something to soften up things in the DVR end would be nice,,,,,, just don't you go and say wifi to me, i don't want to sit in a metal box with 4 wifi emitters, i would feel like a cup of noodles in a microwave.

Maybe a larger main unit ( which i have argued for as that could accommodate other means of storage and better cooling / higher bitrates ) would make wires feel more manageable.

i am not sure if it could work ? but how about you plugged all your cameras into a USB switch, and it then funnled all the traffic to the main unit using just 1 wire ??

Last edited:
I don't see wireless as very feasible for this; costs, interference, and more heat at the cams are just a few of the problems. What might be a better approach is to have a separate "control head" with the main processor unit stashed somewhere more convenient for it like in the trunk or under a seat. Then you'd need only one cable to the part you're most dealing with and I don't think there's any cable length problems involved. Might even be able to integrate the memory in the control head too, making it's retrieval easier. The K1S is definitely a bit "busy" in that department but so are it's competitors, so I don't hold that against it.

Phil

Back