Mazda 2018 CX-9 dashcam install

wozzzzza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
as soon as i picked up the CX-9 from the dealer, i drove out with a suction cap mounted dashcam to home. as soon as i drove i parked it, the first thing i did was start pulling it all apart to run wires and install the dashcam in it.
here is rear door where i ran the wires through the right hand cable duct
IMG_4855.JPG

then carefully ran it through the headliner behind the air bags along the left side and across the top of the front left pillar to the camera.
the power wires i ran up the left pillar behind the airbag and along the top of windscreen under the roof lining.
IMG_4854.JPG

wiring i tapped into the seat heater fuse for constant power as that will never get used where i am, and the cigarette lighter fuse for ignition signal
i took earth from a nice solid bolt and nut in there.
i also put a block terminal for any future wiring needs i can just screw the power wires and earth wires into it without having to go through much trouble with extra wiring.
IMG_4869.JPG IMG_4870.JPG

the camera is mounted on the plastic mouldings behind the rear view mirror, fits nice and tight and out of view there, stealth install.
you can see i have installed extra wiring for 2 extra cameras i will place there shortly for testing purposes and redundancy, so will have 3 cameras in total once i pull them from other mazda that we still use a little bit.
IMG_4872.JPG IMG_4867.JPG IMG_4865.JPG

thats pretty much it, quite easy install really.

Hi
Looks good. The plastic moulding that you fixed the camera to, is it completely flat? I am considering doing something very similar, but that moulding on a Kia Sorento is slightly curved, and I am worried about whether the VHB adhesive will cope with the curve.

it has a very slight curve on it, but the tape takes to it very nicely, hasn't fallen off yet.

My R side camera ( innovv C3 ) are stuck to the backside of my B pillar, which have a serious curve to it, so it is only half of the dual sided tape thats engaged.
And i have to admit i am amazed it have not fallen off or been knocked off yet, it have been hit a few times so i have had to readjust its angle, but the tape are still engaged.
But maybe it should be said the Innovv C3 camera module are pretty light as a remote camera, not sure the same would have worked with a full dashcam.

it has a very slight curve on it, but the tape takes to it very nicely, hasn't fallen off yet.

Same with mine. It is almost an year since I installed mine and it is still there. No rattle or shift.

Back