Mbit rate higher in a 1ch over a 2ch dashcam ?

SR45

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those that are in the know, as posted above, is the Mbit rate higher in a 1 channel dashcam or the same with a 2channel dash cam.

It use to be dual channel had lower of both or at lest the rear camera as that was all the hardware of the time could do.
But now i think both cameras do the same as a single channel camera would do.
The lacking bitrate was one reason many of us dident recommend the dual channel cameras for a while, and recommended using two single channel cameras.

I do wish some one would be brave and amp up the bitrates a little on both single and dual cameras, the 20 or a little less do struggle in some scenarios where there are a lot for the camera to deal with.

Thank you for your response.

Not as sharp as expected. Test shot upon install 900S 1ch. License plates becomes clearer if I were about 1 to 2 car length behind as tested parked.

can't see anything as your video is only 720p on YouTube, I wouldn't expect to be reading license plates at that kind of distance though, it may offer higher resolution but it's still a fixed focus lens and the focal sweet spot of the lens is going to be closer than that

Understood. Will do some more testing tomorrow. Thus far I am happy with the 900S. Easy set up. I wonder if I use a lower resolution let’s say 1080 P at 30 frames per second will that help brighten up the the video a bit? I’m new at this. This is my first dashcam.

Understood. Will do some more testing tomorrow. Thus far I am happy with the 900S. Easy set up. I wonder if I use a lower resolution let’s say 1080 P at 30 frames per second will that help brighten up the the video a bit? I’m new at this. This is my first dashcam.

a native 1080p sensor at 1080p will have brighter picture than a 4k sensor at 1080p as the individual pixels are larger, I wouldn't expect improvements in that respect by changing resolution, best off just stick to 4k

Yes I just tried it and you’re right. Will stick with a 4K. Thank you for your time and input

Most dashcams is like a knife fight, you have to be up close, if you wish to enter a gunfight you have to do some DYI as no one sell a camera with longer reach.

Here is my "knife fight" camera Vs "gun fight" camera.

Indeed give one a awesome reach, but its like looking thru a hole as you do trade off a lot of FOV
And its one more camera on the window.
The 12 mm lens on my long range camera let me read plates in the footage as far out as i can do it with my eyes, thats not super far of course, but still far outside what a normal dashcam can do.

You dont even have to play my video, just look at the preview image for it, full screen and you can read the brown car in front and the 3 cars in front of the semi to my right, and you can count that some 14 cars are conning towards us in the other direction.
In the same moment you get nothing on the normal camera, or that is you do get the plate on the Audi in the Left turn lane, which the long range camera dont get at all due to its narrow FOV.

Last edited:
Indeed give one a awesome reach, but its like looking thru a hole as you do trade off a lot of FOV
And its one more camera on the window.

I might have a look at some other lens options for our remote camera stuff and see what we can come up with

With tiny cameras, you will get more people i assume that will be able to fit such a camera too.
And i should think you would be able to do that and still have a very stealthy setup, and the cost for having XX cameras with a long range lens on the shelves for a while before they sell, will be i assume like having some cameras that are waterproof for the truck / camper RV people out there with a need for a outside camera.
It will probably be a minority market so it will not make you rich, but the people with those needs will be mighty glad the option are there.

yeah we have waterproof cameras coming as an option, having some longer throw lens cameras wouldn't be too difficult to manage

Most dashcams is like a knife fight, you have to be up close, if you wish to enter a gunfight you have to do some DYI as no one sell a camera with longer reach.

Here is my "knife fight" camera Vs "gun fight" camera.

wow nice please tell me how you add the 12mm lens to the cam?

Thats easy they just screw off / on as they are fitted with 12 mm fine thread.

Most are often secured in place with a little dap of glue, but most often not a problem, just peel off what you can and unscrew the lens, some times adding a little heat from a hairdryer make things easier if they bind a little.

You will find plenty of videos on youtube swapping lenses on action cameras, which use the same kind of lenses, the procedure are the same only taking camera housing apart to get hold on lens will be different.
My lens come care of Peau productions in the states, other in here have sourced cheaper lenses on the internet, just make sure it have a IR block filter or get a loose one you can glue on yourself.
Most loose lenses you will find are for CCTV cameras and so will not have a IR block filter as in that tupe of cameras that filter are a active one found in the mount for the lens, but you can also buy loose glass filters to glue on the back end of the lens.
If you dont use a IR block filter your footage will come off Cyan colored as sensors can pick up the IR wavelengths we humans cant see.
And thats also why the IR filter are active in CCTV cameras, cuz at night the filter disengage and the IR light of the CCTV camera come on and so you get perfect black and white night footage in pitch darkness.

New lens dont secure that with CA glue, use some mild form of glue, and for god sake make sure your focus are in the sweet spot before you secure the lens, you can do testing with the camera apart or in a car with the lens not secured properly yet,,,,, its not like it will rattle out of focus easy.

Actually my 12 mm lens in this camera are just secured with thread lock tape the same as plumbers use on pipes, just there to make the threads engage a little tighter.

I have tested my focus on this camera out of my living room window, with the camera plugged in to my TV as this camera have a HDMI out ( not all cameras have this ) And then i have aimed at a child care center on the other side of the road some 20 - 25 M away.

For focus you can also use the low resolution AV out most dashcams have and plug into your TV, or you can go by minor adjustments,,,,,, it take just a fre degrees twist of the lens to be on or off the focus sweet spot, so can take some trial and error if you have to go by it that way.

BTW, if you go fishing for a cheap lens, the really cheap ones are cheap for a reason, and there are also the ones for low resolution analog cameras to be aware off, so make sure the lens you find are a megapixel one ( 2 megapixel = 1080p )
You can use a 16 megapixel one if you like, over killing like that are no problem,, but say you had a 12 megapixel camera it would be less that optimal to use a 2 megapixel lens on that.

you might want to browse thru these 2 posts too from the mobius subforum.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-5mp-varifocal-zoom-6-22mm-ƒ-1-6.34263/#post-406719
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-varifocal-zoom-ir.30602/

Last edited:
Back