Me, 2 cyclists and a police van, on a road with pinch points.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806

See? I'm happy to hold back when it's unsafe to overtake.
I look after cyclists if they act reasonably. No need for any drama.

The 2nd one had a head camera and possibly another out on a stick in front? Was good to see him acting so sensibly. Very, very rare to see this level of caution, I'm sad to say.

He could just have kept as far left as possible, then he wouldn't have to wave you thru.
I would say a look over the shoulder to acknowledge he have seen you and then keep left, and the rest are up to you.

I'm fine with cyclists staying out of the door zone, as long as they move left when it's clear. I'm also fine if they "take the lane" by going in the middle when it's genuinely impossible to be overtaken safely. Note here that the pavement has been extended out where the pedestrian islands are. It's borderline, it's probably safe to pass, but I'd rather wait a couple of seconds.

What really hacks me off is where there are pinch points every 100m and they introduce a 20mph speed limit. It becomes impossible to overtake cyclists safely and legally. Let's just say I put safety above the law at such times.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Let me begin with congratulating you on your attitude Rajagra (y) There is indeed room for everyone if we all do as we should do.
I'm fine with cyclists staying out of the door zone, as long as they move left when it's clear.
I'll differ a bit here. Cyclists (powered and unpowered) have to operate with different parameters and considerations in mind. While a car-to-car door crash probably only involves property damage, cyclists have to watch for it to avoid personal injury. One can either move out of the 'door zone' which can cause faster vehicular traffic behind to slow, or one can do the more proper thing and slow to a speed where there is more time to react and less chance of serious injury. Or one can take one's chances. Even car drivers should look for someone sitting beside a car door which they might open onto your path although almost nobody does that :eek: Slower moving traffic of any kind must take into consideration what their presence does with the faster traffic around them and try to minimize their impact on that. You are more vulnerable on two wheels but that doesn't give you more rights than anyone else- it's a risk that goes with riding of which some you must simply accept.

I'm also fine if they "take the lane" by going in the middle when it's genuinely impossible to be overtaken safely. Note here that the pavement has been extended out where the pedestrian islands are. It's borderline, it's probably safe to pass, but I'd rather wait a couple of seconds.

That's something I quickly noticed when on two wheels. You are safest when you take a position where you are holding your full lane space, for if you do not other traffic will encroach on that which lowers your safety, causes that other vehicle to be in violation of the law, and makes your intentions more ambiguous. You are more easily seen when you're nearer the line by cars further back who would not otherwise see you if ypu were in the center and had a car blocking the view between you. This also gives you and your two-wheeler more space within your lane to maneuver away from anyone encroaching into your lane. And you must always be ready to use that extra space instantly if you need to which you most certain will given how badly many people drive :rolleyes:

What really hacks me off is where there are pinch points every 100m and they introduce a 20mph speed limit. It becomes impossible to overtake cyclists safely and legally. Let's just say I put safety above the law at such times.

Poor road design needs correction though that rarely happens. All we an do is compensate for the designer's errors :mad: And safety first is the proper mindset and approach for all vehicle operators. Some years ago, my State had a TV advertising campaign regards road safety which showed crashed cars and someone commenting that one was 'in the right' to have done what they did, yet they were killed in the crash anyway. It ended with a patrolman's face filling the TV screen saying "Don't be dead right." ;) That image has always stuck in my mind, yet we all daily see people who don't understand how safety (yours and everyone else's too) always trumps" being in the right" with your actions on the road.

Good job my friend!
Phil

Last edited:

See? I'm happy to hold back when it's unsafe to overtake.
I look after cyclists if they act reasonably. No need for any drama.

The 2nd one had a head camera and possibly another out on a stick in front? Was good to see him acting so sensibly. Very, very rare to see this level of caution, I'm sad to say.
That looks as if is the self proclaimed "Traffic Droid" . He used to have 7 cameras mounted on his bike at one time, I think he cut that number down.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SonofthewindsInc/videos

IMHO as well as shaming dangerous drivers he can be a bit petty at times. Surprised he's not had a smack in the face from some drivers he approaches.

Last edited:
That looks as if is the self proclaimed "Cycle Droid" .
He looked familiar but I couldn't remember who it was. I'm sure I've had a few polite disagreements with him in comment sections. But seeing him in person, he was the exact opposite of a militant cyclist. If everyone rode as attentively and predictably as I saw him doing this day, I'd be a happy man.

Hehe, I think I see him hitting the save button. He must be compiling a video of excellent drivers, I look forward to being featured! ;)

The pain in the arse cyclists round here use the road at the bottom of my estate for time trials, even though 1 mile away it's totally devoid of people/houses most traffic and they don't have to wait at traffic lights on time trials!!
The normal cyclists ignore the excellent cycle paths and ride on the road with it's multitude of traffic islands pinch points

The pain in the arse cyclists round here use the road at the bottom of my estate for time trials, even though 1 mile away it's totally devoid of people/houses most traffic and they don't have to wait at traffic lights on time trials!!
The normal cyclists ignore the excellent cycle paths and ride on the road with it's multitude of traffic islands pinch points
There are dangers of using normal roads and paths for time trials....

Dammit, I was sure someone would be going for a swim there!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Door zone :)

It is rare i hear of a Dane hitting a opening door, and factoring in we do have a lot of bicycle paths here and on the inside of curbside parked cars, but passengerside door still swing well into the bicycle path if opned fully.

I think the bulk of Danish bicycle paths are just 1.5 M or so wide.

But we are told when getting license to always look back, also before exiting a stopped car.

When i was a kid a open door was what cops used to stop illegal mopeds, this would off course not do in today's spineless society, but it worked fine in the old days.

Back