Mechanics, and their issues with dashcam footage

David Markham

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware Q800-Pro
I realise that this question may have been posted elsewhere already, but I felt it worthwhile to put it up again, consequent to an issue I had this afternoon with my local mechanic. Allow me to explain...

Earlier this week, I telephoned and queried with the store manager of my local NRMA MotorServe branch here in Sydney, whether or not I ought to deactivate my dashcam’s parking recording feature before checking the vehicle in for a scheduled service. (NRMA is a roadside assistance outfit, much like the AA in the UK, or ADAC in Germany).

Here, I was advised by the store manager with whom I have a good rapport, that I need not worry about the dashcam, as in his own words, “...(they) have nothing to hide...”.
I decided to deactivate the parking recording feature anyway, as the Thinkware U1000 is appallingly sensitive to even so much as a door being opened.
Upon picking up my vehicle after being serviced, I noticed to my chagrin, that the mechanic on duty took it upon himself to pull out the power connector from the side of the dashcam unit, and didn’t bother to reconnect it again.

Upon complaining directly to the branch manager, I was told apologetically that “...it was an accident during test-driving...(and that)... it wouldn’t happen again...”.

Not swallowing that line, I sought to get the NRMA’s official policy on the presence of dashcams in their workshops. Nobody but the store manager had anything to say on the matter, and so clearly, no such policy exists, or it’s an issue they would rather ‘keep schtum’ over.

Needless to say, it’s annoyed me to the extent that even a nationally recognised workshop with a reputation for high quality and service needs to be viewed with an air of suspicion.

I have read a number of unpleasant stories on this forum concerning unauthorised tampering of dashcams by mechanics, resulting in the corruption of SD-cards, or physical damage to the dashcam itself.

I would like to know what your thoughts are on this issue, as I am inclined to take the matter further with senior management.

Cheers.
David.

one of my cars is under new car warranty and goes to the dealership for servicing, mechanics there ripped out all the cables and left them hanging, they got a mouthful when I picked it up

my regular mechanic that does the rest of our cars never touches them and couldn't care less that they are there

Last edited:
had the same issue with a known major dealer/car manufacturer. They unplugged the wiring just before they went for the test drive and didn't plug it back in after they were done.
Prior to that, they left it plugged in so i could see them performing the servicing and washing the car.
Definitely raised suspicion on what they do during their test drives.

I just came across this gimmicky NRMA advert that parrots – verbatim – what I was told this afternoon:

Fine words indeed, and the following article appears to confirm NRMA’s seemingly friendly approach to dashcams - in contrast to others:

It seems though, that the mechanic who worked on my own car today had other ideas.
Maybe their own staff ought to be reminded of what they can – and cannot – touch, when working on customers’ vehicles.

David.

Last edited:
I'm. On another forum and there was posting where the dash cam showed the mech ragging the van talking on the phone, not hands free, dangerous driving etc.

They should have nothing to hide, so no need to disconnect dashcams, if they feel that they need to disconnect them only during a test drive then that is very worrying. I think it would be good to have a law requiring that dashcams are not disabled at any time so that everyone knows the situation and the mechanics know that they shouldn't use customers cars as their private office.

In the UK we already have a legal requirement for our MOT test centres to have a customer viewing area providing a good view of the work being done, in my test centre there are two video monitors providing the good view of the car during the test, so I can see everything anyway, dashcams or not. The test area is effectively a public area although public access is restricted for safety reasons, so there should not be any privacy issues related to recording, although I think it is sensible that people should not publish videos of private conversations that might take place during the service/test, it is their work area and they are entitled to have some privacy.

i am always talking to the MOT guy when my car is inspected + following him around and get the chance to see my car from other angles i don't normally see as i don't have access to a lift.
But no customer viewing lounge here, and actually with the privatisation of MOT centres cases of bribery and cars inspected that should really have failed have gone up from 0 to a lot more.
There are unannounced inspections of MOT centres, but its like 2 guys having to cover half of Denmark.
We have a pretty poor record of privatisation in Denmark, it is pretty sure Danes will loose in this some way or another when they try that out on something.

We know our mechanics very well, have been going to their garage for decades. I stand at a safe distance and chat with him while the test is being done.

I trust them to drive my car anywhere too.

I've seen both sides of this - a year ago I took my car to a very highly recommended local garage and they damaged the front bumper by hitting it when putting onto the ramp, curbed a wheel hard knocking the alignment out and took it for a high speed test drive (it's an almost 400bhp V8).

I got in touch with them about the damage and they didn't want to know - I developed a few health issues so at the time it wasn't important enough to follow up but now the prognosis is better I'll be making sure they lose out on business as a result.

Yesterday the dirty diesel was in for a standard service at the main dealers and the mechanics didn't have a care in the world and just carried on and never touched the camera, the full service and car wash was captured.

This car is remapped and there is a moment it catches out the driver who has gotten used to the throttle response of standard cars and almost results in them needing to give me a new front bumper. Maybe next time.

What if you glued in the connector so they can't remove? Would also need to tap in the power from elsewhere than the fuse panel though.

Attachments

• 51u9ayYW95L.jpg
    51u9ayYW95L.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 12
What if you glued in the connector so they can't remove? Would also need to tap in the power from elsewhere than the fuse panel though.
That’s not actually a bad idea, although I would prefer to install an anti-tampering case, along the lines of that for the Thinkware F100.
Surely, some clever bod could 3D-print such a case, if Thinkware don’t want to.

At one time I worked as a manager at a car service center; these were also official dealers of some car manufacturer (Hyundai, Skoda, UAZ...). When customers asked if they could install some equipment in another service, we often allowed it, but explained that a third-party service center should have an appropriate certificate and license so that we could maintain the warranty period for servicing the car.

But even if the owner independently installed electronic devices in the car, this is not a reason for mechanics to turn them off. This is my property and they do not have the right to intervene and make any cut-offs without my consent.
What happened to you is an incident that goes beyond all the rules, in your place I would notify the management of this company (and probably never would have contacted it again).
For any company or a simple small garage with a post for one car that value their customers, it is unacceptable to treat the client’s car in this way. (I would sue them for damaging your electronic equipment, or at least threaten to do so).

I would like to know what your thoughts are on this issue, as I am inclined to take the matter further with senior management.
Your actions are justified and logical.
Believe in yourself and good things will happen to you. :)

I realise that this question may have been posted elsewhere already, but I felt it worthwhile to put it up again, consequent to an issue I had this afternoon with my local mechanic. Allow me to explain...

Earlier this week, I telephoned and queried with the store manager of my local NRMA MotorServe branch here in Sydney, whether or not I ought to deactivate my dashcam’s parking recording feature before checking the vehicle in for a scheduled service. (NRMA is a roadside assistance outfit, much like the AA in the UK, or ADAC in Germany).

Here, I was advised by the store manager with whom I have a good rapport, that I need not worry about the dashcam, as in his own words, “...(they) have nothing to hide...”.
I decided to deactivate the parking recording feature anyway, as the Thinkware U1000 is appallingly sensitive to even so much as a door being opened.
Upon picking up my vehicle after being serviced, I noticed to my chagrin, that the mechanic on duty took it upon himself to pull out the power connector from the side of the dashcam unit, and didn’t bother to reconnect it again.

Upon complaining directly to the branch manager, I was told apologetically that “...it was an accident during test-driving...(and that)... it wouldn’t happen again...”.

Not swallowing that line, I sought to get the NRMA’s official policy on the presence of dashcams in their workshops. Nobody but the store manager had anything to say on the matter, and so clearly, no such policy exists, or it’s an issue they would rather ‘keep schtum’ over.

Needless to say, it’s annoyed me to the extent that even a nationally recognised workshop with a reputation for high quality and service needs to be viewed with an air of suspicion.

I have read a number of unpleasant stories on this forum concerning unauthorised tampering of dashcams by mechanics, resulting in the corruption of SD-cards, or physical damage to the dashcam itself.

Cheers.
David.

My first hand experience.
My import car required air con re gas.
Took to shop they left dash cam running.
2wks later compressor destroyed itself.

Took car back to check what had happened.
They wanted $$ to check. Being old sports car thought it may have been coincidence so agreed to pay.

Got car back and noticed later dash cam had been disabled (pulled its power)

It was never fixed and will cost me over $3k due to compressor iron filing possibly in entire system.
Looking back I realise they wrecked my cars aircon, but due to dash cam being pulled I couldn't prove it.
I doubt they even checked anything as they knew they'd stuffed it.

I've considered using fake wires coming from unit to confuse them.

As another said they shouldn't be touching equipment that has nothing to do with the job.

You opened a wound that has prompted me to consider my options

My first hand experience.
My import car required air con re gas.
Took to shop they left dash cam running.
2wks later compressor destroyed itself.

Took car back to check what had happened.
They wanted $$ to check. Being old sports car thought it may have been coincidence so agreed to pay.

Got car back and noticed later dash cam had been disabled (pulled its power)

It was never fixed and will cost me over $3k due to compressor iron filing possibly in entire system.
Looking back I realise they wrecked my cars aircon, but due to dash cam being pulled I couldn't prove it.
I doubt they even checked anything as they knew they'd stuffed it.

I've considered using fake wires coming from unit to confuse them.

As another said they shouldn't be touching equipment that has nothing to do with the job.

You opened a wound that has prompted me to consider my options
I think in your case the garage should have left the dashcams running so that you could see that the work was done, I read a post from a garage owner on another forum who not only leaves dashcams running but has extra cameras to record what happens under the bonnet so that claims like yours can be disproved.

Of course, maybe they did destroy your compressor, and turning the dashcams off does support that claim, but we will never know, so next time, take it to a garage that leaves the cameras running because they have nothing to hide; if we all do that then it won't be long before all garages leave the dashcams alone and we wont need to check any footage because the work will be done properly :)

Back