Megapixel LENS

susobarral

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
Git2,Xiaomi Yi, Mobius, Sj1000, gt300w, GS9000, GS600, Gopro
Hi, I open this post for those who want to provide information about lenses and accessories:
manufacturers, vendors , prices, specifications , filters, covers

Thank you
Suso

My first question is: what meaning has to be a lens of x megapixels, as is calculated this value the MANUFACTURERS ? , or is this a purely commercial data ?

Hi @susobarral
For a lot of camera's a lot of manufacturer's will give the 'UPSCALED' megapixel count...this means the sensor/lens may only be able to do 2mp but due to upscaling it can do say 5mp a lot of manufacturers will say 5mp. The best thing to do is go by their maximum resolution and not photo resolution as this is usually a far better indicator.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

My first question is: what meaning has to be a lens of x megapixels, as is calculated this value the MANUFACTURERS ? , or is this a purely commercial data ?

There really is no such thing as a "Megapixel" lens. It is basically a marketing term. You will hear that term bandied about by manufacturers and even more by retailers but there are no standards for quantifying what a so called "megapixel" lens is. A more accurate term might be lp/mm (lines per millimeter). It's not that simple however because the size of the pixel on any given sensor makes a big difference on how any given lens will perform. The quality of a lens cannot be expressed with a single number or a simple statement. So the answer is NO, there is really no method to calculate "megapixels" for lenses. Instead there are all the traditional tools for testing lenses for resolving power (lp/mm) contrast, distortion, color correction, MTF, spectral transmission, aberration, etc.

Last edited:
Here's a bit of a follow up to my previous post.

One million pixels = one mega pixel.
So a Full HD sensor representing 1920 x 1080 imaging elements = 2,073,600 pixels or 2.1 megapixels.
A 2304 x 1296 sensor = 2,985,984 pixels or roughly 3 Megapixels

So when a manufacturer says a lens is 2 megapixels or 3 megapixels it means they have been matched to work well optically with specific, appropriate size and density sensors. However, there is no actual technical or scientific measurement for quantifying megapixel numbers in an optical configuration of standard glass lens elements since we are dealing with photons of light rather than digital pixel elements arrayed on a sensor. If you search for the term "Megapixel Lens" on the internet you will find many references to and sales offerings for "Megapixel" lenses but you won't be able to find an actual definition for what a "Megapixel lens" is. If you search Wikipedia for the term "Megapixel Lens" it will return the answer, "The page "Mega Pixel Lens" does not exist." Of course, this is because there is no such thing.

I always smile when Techmoan busts the manufacturer's megapixel info on the cameras he reviews.

[Quote = "Dashmellow, post: 174063, miembro de: 3107"] Aquí hay un poco de un seguimiento a mi post anterior.

Un millón de píxeles = un mega píxel.
Así que un sensor Full HD 1920 x 1080 en representación de los elementos de imagen = 2.073.600 píxeles o 2,1 megapíxeles.
A 2304 x 1296 sensores = 2.985.984 píxeles o más o menos 3 megapíxeles

Así que cuando un fabricante dice una lente es de 2 megapíxeles o 3 megapíxeles significa que han sido emparejados para trabajar bien ópticamente con sensores de tamaño y densidad específicas, adecuadas. Sin embargo, no existe una medición técnica o científica real para cuantificar el número de megapíxeles en una configuración óptica de elementos estándar de lentes de vidrio, ya que estamos tratando con fotones de elementos de píxel de luz en lugar de digitales dispuestas en un sensor. Si busca el término "Lente Megapixel" en el Internet usted encontrará muchas referencias y ofertas de venta de lentes "megapíxeles" pero usted no será capaz de encontrar una definición real de lo que es un "lente megapíxeles" es. Si usted busca en Wikipedia por el término "Lente Megapixel" devolverá la respuesta, " La página "Lente Pixel Mega" no existe. " Por supuesto, esto se debe a que no hay tal cosa. [/ quote]

Then , When do I know I'm buying a good lens?
That technical specifications should I know ?

Last edited:
Then , When do I know I'm buying a good lens?
That technical specifications should I know ?

if you're buying it off Aliexpress, eBay etc then it's unlikely you're buying a good lens

the only decent lens you can buy individually is the Mobius lens as they sell it as an accessory

which lens are you wanting to update?

Hi Jokiin

I'm buying fish eyes of +/- 185 degrees , I bought brand lenses Sunex about 100 to 120 dollars and also the brand Alaud about 60 dollars . They are of very good quality but too expensive

http://www.alaudoptical.com/en/viewproduct.asp?SortID=39&ID=267

http://www.optics-concept-online.fr/en/lenses-for-gopro/21/lens-dsl385.html

Channel more tests
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDMWaYiFQYy2MR2O0zgIcAH6B3rZB6Ae

Channel more tests
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPDMWaYiFQYwd7oHmI7qntgfOMhMm-rJu

http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_1_3.2.asp

for my mobius 360 project need good quality lenses cheaper
my goal is what the people can build a Mobius 360 system affordable

Last edited:
Try Peau Productions in San Diego California. They specialize in high quality aftermarket lenses and have tested them for specific cameras. They may be able to advise you about what will work best with the Mobius, even if they don't usually work with the camera. The problem of course, is that high quality specialty M12 lenses are not cheap.

See this link for general M12 lenses.

See this link for wider (shorter) focal lengths. (but lower price and quality)

if you're buying it off Aliexpress, eBay etc then it's unlikely you're buying a good lens

the only decent lens you can buy individually is the Mobius lens as they sell it as an accessory

which lens are you wanting to update?

How do manufacturers like you source quality lenses for cameras?

These lenses look pretty cool. I want one! It's interesting what you can do with the software to level the extreme fisheye effect. Otherwise, I think such lenses would be completely impractical.

I also want one and one Hero 4 ...

How do manufacturers like you source quality lenses for cameras?

you can sort through a lot of very ordinary product until you find ones that measure up, we do have a few suppliers we use though, 99% of the product available is only suitable for the low end stuff as that's also the majority of the market

For the price of 280 model ( 707 usd ) can buy a car with NCT ( MOT ) passed.
Price shows those are ultra high-end lens.

there's some very high end lenses available but the cost far exceeds the cost of the cameras, they're used quite a bit in professional production

Back