Melife I3 Sports Camera Review

James Bannister

Reaction score
Country
United States
6361532072192613928736902.jpg
IMG_20161226_123524-1[1].jpg
I received the camera that was sent from oversea's order from Alice at Melife. The presentation of the box is simple and elegant it does not appear cheesy like some action cam boxes. I can tell that the manufacturer of this camera cares about their products and customers by the way the device is packaged. This can be purchased here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MCW8W2JAlso check these links
http://www.melifetech.com/en/camera/actioncamera/37.aspx
This is the upgraded I3+
http://www.melifetech.com/en/camera/actioncamera/165.aspx

SPECIFICATION
Video Resolution: 4K@24FPS, 2.5K@30FPS, 1080P@60FPS, 720P@120FPS
Image Resolution: 14MP
Chipset: NTK 96660
Sensor: SONY IMX078 CMOS Sensor
WiFi Function: YES
Remote Control Support: YES
Apps Available: YES, iOS & Android
Wideangle: 150°
Memory Card Type: Micro SD/TF
Max Memory Card Support: 32G
Battery Capacity: 1000mAh
Display Screen: 2” LCD
Touchscreen Support: NO
Video Life: 90Min@1080P 60FPS(WiFi OFF)
Dimension:61x43x29mm
Weight: 75grams
Online Package Size: 225x130x65mm
Online Package Weight: About 625g
Offline Package Size: 103x103x235mm
Offline Package Weight: About 565g

6361543588759801423142526.jpg

I found inside the box, besides the camera with removable battery, Portable Frame, Wrist Remote Control, Waterproof Case, Micro USB Cable, Quick Release Mount, Bicycle Handler Mount, Flat&Curved Mount, Flat&Curved Adhesive Pads, Screw Bolts x2, Spanner, Knuckle, Manual APP Download Support: YES, APPLE App Store & Google Play, search for “MELIFECAM-i3”
6361532073151988921073081.jpg

IMG_20161226_124146-1[1].jpg

Melife I3 review – first impressions

The camera’s case has rubbery matte black color, which makes it easy to hold and manage. On the front part of the camera is the lens which is an F2.8 150-degree lens and WIFI button that lights up when active.

On the top of the camera, there is 2 buttons and 2 leds. The left button is used to power on and off the Novatek NT96660 imaging unit (SoC). The power button also serves as the menu button. The right button is used to start recording, take pictures, and switch modes.

In order to determine camera status besides the rear LCD screen, this camera has two status LEDs:

• one on the top, which indicates the operation mode and working status of the camera
  • one to indicate camera is recording
  • For easy and intuitive operation this camera has only 3 buttons: ON/OFF, Start/Stop (shutter) on top and WIFI/ENTER button on the front.
    Through the “Mode” button the camera can be switched between four operation modes:
    • Video mode
    • Photo mode
    • Playback mode, which is a nice feature that allows to preview the captured photos and videos right on the LCD screen.
    The recorded videos are saved in "Movie" folder in .MP4 format. A 6 minute 30 second clip of full HD video (1920×1080/60fps) occupies average 1.29GB on the memory card.
The Melife I3 also has Gyro mode which stabilizes your videos from shaking. In addition to video it comes with a still photo feature that will snap a photo when the shutter button is pressed. The quality of the 14MP photo is nice, but honestly we can’t expect to excel these kind of cameras in terms of photography. because they are geared towards video not stills.

Powered with an 1000mAh battery, this camera has about 1 hour 30mins working time, of course this may vary depending on the operating mode. Fortunately the battery is not built in but it cannot be replaced easily unless you have with a spare one from Melife.

FPV/Video Output
After few indoor test shots I decided to test the HDMI-out of the camera. In order to fulfill this action I connected the camera to my 50' Vizio tv screen via the HDMI out port. All the required cables where included in the package expect HDMI to MicroHDMI cable. The real time video out worked just perfectly, without being visibly disturbed or slowed down if the camera records or not. The latency is acceptable for common video out use. Also tested the WIFI mode for FPV. This runs through phone app and provides good video but probably not fast enough when it comes to racing quadcopters. The picture/video playback via the HDMI out worked perfectly as well.

I’m planning to use the camera on my drone but not in WIFI mode just for aerial video.

Other Features

This camera can be with the remote watch out the box. Does not require in pairing or anything. I found this perfect because I can mount the camera to my drone and start recording right before taking off by hitting the button on the watch.
6361387962284609412751853.jpg
IMG_20161226_124108-1[1].jpg

This camera also comes with a water proof case. I have not tested the waterproofing yet but I have used the case.
6361387928904921912775257.jpg

IMG_20161226_124114-1[1].jpg

Final words
I think this camera can be sold as an action/sports camera but the done side is the lack of mounting accessories and this camera does not fit in GoPro SJCam holders. This camera is designed for hobbyists and recording some action and it does exactly what it promises. Since the this is 4k upscale camera I would not get my hopes up, the hardware is not capable of producing true 4k output. Melife does have an upgraded model that is capable of 4k it is the I3+. In my opinion, this camera is the best middle way between a SJcam and clones because it does have Gyro which works really well which you will see in my drone video.
If you want 4k go with the I3 or I3+ model I prefer the I3+ because it comes with Ambarella Processor

Pros

• Lightweight Full HD camera
  • About 90 minutes operation time (not tested)
  • Very good image quality; 14mp
  • Center positioned 150 degree FOV lens
  • Playback mode
  • Gyro mode
  • Suitable for FPV flights, via WIFI and app;
  • Good sound quality.
Cons
  • Camera mount had to be drilled to mount Cam on drone in correct orientation
Don't forget to stop by the website http://www.melifetech.com/

Last edited:
I was about to go isent that a insurance company, but then my reading skills kicked in :D

Seem to be a lot of players in the 1080/60 - 2.5K segment, many of witch use the IMX078 sensor.

Lol thats funny...yeah its not a bad cam I have video uploading now

Back