Memory Capacity ?

Canada Bob

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Vantrue E1
I've just bought a Vantrue T2, (link below), it doesn't come with a micro SD card so I'm looking at what capacity I would need to get say 8-10 hours before the card starts to overwrite.

Vantrue T2

I intend to use it at these video settings: H.264 compressed format; 1920x1080P / 30fps

I'd appreciate some guidance on the above.

Thanks,

Bob.

A 64GB card will store nearly 10 hours.

If you have it set to store parking mode files as locked files then you will loose space for the loop recording for each parking mode event, so you might want a 128GB card to make sure you always have 10 hours. I set mine to not lock the parking mode files (only ones locked by the g-sensor), then it's not a problem.

The link you sent says it supports 256gb so why not get the max size it supports? They're going for $45 on amazon

Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072HRDM55
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The link you sent says it supports 256gb so why not get the max size it supports? They're going for $45 on amazon

Samsung 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME256GA/AM) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B072HRDM55
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's more than double the price of a 128GB, wouldn't 2 128GB cards be both more use and cheaper?

40 hours of video on one card is a lot to loose, and with the T2 you don't normally need much for parking mode because the radar sensor only triggers recording when there is actually a vehicle or person moving directly in front of the camera, it ignores moving trees/clouds or vehicles in the distance.

Thanks Nigel & Nowuseeme, your comments on both sides of the coin are appreciated and are good pointers for me to get the right size of card or cards.

I guess it's a combination of the 1080p and the H264 compression that the T2 uses, that would dictate the size of files per minute.
I wonder if there's a chart somewhere or a file size calculator where you could put in the resolution and then the type of compression to get the GB/Min.

Now that I'm on the right track as to what size would work best for me it's down to what Brand of card, and how to make sure I don't pay good money for a knock off product.

It's the bitrate that it uses that determines file size, however based on 64GB for 10 hours, and with usable card sizes all being multiples of 64, it's not hard to work out. (Actually it would probably work with an 8GB card so multiples of 8.)

You could take a look at a Samsung Evo Select card on Amazon UK, which might have a special reduction over the next few days.
Not sure you will get many other suggestions since not many here have that camera, the Samsung Evo is the only card I've used in the T2.
It doesn't need a particularly fast card since it has quite a low bitrate compared to most current dashcams.

Good to hear from someone who has the same dash cam, I'll go with your suggestion, makes sense to me.
Thanks again for taking the time.

Bob.

Good to hear from someone who has the same dash cam, I'll go with your suggestion, makes sense to me.
Thanks again for taking the time.

Bob.
Let us know what you think of the camera once you've used it for a bit, there are not many reviews of that one yet.

Let us know what you think of the camera once you've used it for a bit, there are not many reviews of that one yet.

Just looking at where/how to install it, looking if there's a 5v supply in/near the rain sensor unit...

Hello Nigel,

I just got a response from Echo at Vantrue, he says "a 32GB card can record around 7 hours".

I found Samsung Evo 64GB memory cards on offer for less than £11 and that includes postage to the UK from "MyMemory" in the Channel Islands, they seem to be 20% less than anyone else's price, maybe that's down to the VAT ?

My Memory / Channel Islands.

I checked the company out, they seem to get decent reviews, they don't seem to be "here today / gone tomorrow" they've been trading for 15 years I think it was, chances are they don't deal in knock off's,

Bob.

Last edited:
I found Samsung Evo 64GB memory cards on offer for less than £11 and that includes postage to the UK from "MyMemory" in the Channel Islands, they seem to be 20% less than anyone else's price, maybe that's down to the VAT ?
Yes, they are not in the UK or in the EU, so you will be importing it across the customs border, anything under £15 and the import tax+vat is £0.00.

I just got a response from Echo at Vantrue, he says "a 32GB card can record around 7 hours".
Maybe a bit optimistic, for storing 1080 resolution, but a 64GB card is so cheap that it is not worth the inconvenience of not having your full 10 hours, plus a card twice the size will last twice as long before it wears out, the 64GB cards are good value.

Yes, they are not in the UK or in the EU, so you will be importing it across the customs border, anything under £15 and the import tax+vat is £0.00.
I wasn't aware of that, no wonder it's a good price, but when you take into account their cost of P&P their margins must be slim...

I'll have the T2 in the car this afternoon, I'll run it for a couple of days {on a 16GB card} and see how it goes...

Thanks again for your input...

It would have to be a low bitrate along with a good file format to achieve 8 hours recording time from a 32GB card. With most cams this takes a 64GB card to achieve. My advice is to go with the largest recommended card you can afford for the reasons Nigel noted. Usually a 64GB card will provide the best overall value but sales pricing can change that.

Phil

It would have to be a low bitrate along with a good file format to achieve 8 hours recording time from a 32GB card. With most cams this takes a 64GB card to achieve. My advice is to go with the largest recommended card you can afford for the reasons Nigel noted. Usually a 64GB card will provide the best overall value but sales pricing can change that.

Phil
Thanks for the above Phil, I have a 64GB Samsung Evo card on its way to me right now, from the write up on the link below there's two Evo cards {one red one yellow} it's just the branding, the cards seem to be the same.

Evo Select vs Evo Plus

It's hard to beat the price of less than £11 including postage, but being in the Channel Islands gives them the advantage of not having to charge VAT.

I wasn't aware of that, no wonder it's a good price, but when you take into account their cost of P&P their margins must be slim...

I'll have the T2 in the car this afternoon, I'll run it for a couple of days {on a 16GB card} and see how it goes...

Thanks again for your input...
That is why they only sell small light things like memory cards than can go in the cheapest airmail envelope! Royal Mail uses aeroplanes within the UK, it's probably not much difference in cost other than economies of scale.

You should be careful with more expensive items, since you are responsible for making sure the tax is paid - order 1 card twice rather than 2 cards!

You should be careful with more expensive items, since you are responsible for making sure the tax is paid - order 1 card twice rather than 2 cards
Thanks for the heads up on that, makes sense to me...

Back