Memory card error, please restart message on F770

where did you find one that cheap?
I bought it from here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232051985650
The packaging seemed legit.

I have used FAKEFLASHTEST.exe and h2testw.exe. It passed them both.

The backside of the SD card shows Made In Korea. I'll write everything that the backside shows:

MB-MC128D
MBMCDGVGOFGW-T
DHF J298GE645
MADE IN KOREA

ok, I have found something strange here... maybe someone can understand this.
I'm using BitFenix USB3.0 card reader: https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/usb3-card-reader/

As you can see, it can accept Micro SD cards. No adapter needed. This is how I ran my benchmarks as seen in my previous reply.

I decided to use the SD Card adapter just for the gist of it. I used the same card reader and now the results are vastly different:

DiskSpeedTest_Adapter.png

But as seen in the screenshot, the 'How Fast? (FPS)' colum shows Write frames per second of 36 for 1080. But I'm not sure if ProRes 422 HQ is being used in the dashcam so this tool is not really an indication.

See CrystalDiskMark benchmark on 4GB test file:

4GB_Adapter.png

not sure about testing 4gb files when your camera only writes 100mb or so at a time
I wanted to test large files to make sure it's not using any cached data.
Also tested 50MB file and the results are good.

I find it strange to have such variance in results when using the same Card Reader but with the adapter.

Couple of updates. I've recently tried a couple of other 128GB cards and here are the results.

#1 - Toshiba Exceria M302 128GB microSD - http://www.microcenter.com/product/469652/128GB_Speedin_SDXC_Class_10_Flash_Memory_Card

Upon insertion into the F770 it initially said to format card and then shortly went into the please restart loop.

AmorphousDiskMark result
DiskMark Toshiba 128GB.png

#2 - PNY Elite 128GB microSD - https://www.pny.com/Elite_microSDXC_Card_CL_10_85MBs_with_Adapter?sku=P-SDU128U185EL-GE

I've been using a 32GB version for a while and it's been solid, so I decided to try the 128GB version. I inserted it this morning before driving to work and it seems to be working okay. F770 said nothing about it, I did format within the F770. I will update if it decides to quit working.

AmorphousDiskMark result
DiskMark PNY Elite 128GB.png

For comparison, here is the Thinkware branded 32GB microSD card:
DiskMark Thinkware 32GB.png

Note: the TS-RDF5 SD Transcend is the microSD to USB3 adapter I used for testing on my mac mini. I've used the same adapter and port for all testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gil
FYI, I've been using a SanDisk 200GB card in my F750 (with F770 firmware), recording 24/7. After almost exactly a year, the card has now failed (not recognised by the dashcam anymore, and I/O errors when writing to certain sectors on a computer). Luckily SanDisk has a lifetime warranty on their cards, so I'm sending it back for a replacement.

Last edited:
ve been using a SanDisk 200GB card in my F750 (with F770 firmware), recording 24/7. After almost exactly a year, the card has now failed (not recognised by the dashcam anymore, and I/O errors when writing to certain sectors on a computer). Luckily SanDisk has a lifetime warranty on their cards, so I'm sending it back for a replacement.

I usedthe 200gb Sandisk ultra on the F770 and it kept ending up with random incomplete files in continuous mode. The file size was normal but the clips were only about 9 seconds long.

I dont think this card can keep it up with the writes in 2 channel recording. Review your files thoroughly if you plan to use this card again.

I usedthe 200gb Sandisk ultra on the F770 and it kept ending up with random incomplete files in continuous mode. The file size was normal but the clips were only about 9 seconds long.

I dont think this card can keep it up with the writes in 2 channel recording. Review your files thoroughly if you plan to use this card again.
Thanks, I'll keep an closer eye on it. Previously, when I randomly checked the videos they all appeared fine, but of course I didn't check every single one of them so can't rule it out.

I think I saw a 256GB card announced recently too, I might give that a try if the price falls to reasonable levels.

I just bought a 128gb Lexar 633x SD card for my F770 - it does not work. Apparently, (according to the dealer that sold me the cam and recommended the Lexar) the Lexar cards will no longer work in the Thinkware cams because of some manufacturing change they recently made. Has anyone found a 128gb SD card works well in the F770? Thanks in advance. Joe

I just bought a 128gb Lexar 633x SD card for my F770 - it does not work. Apparently, (according to the dealer that sold me the cam and recommended the Lexar) the Lexar cards will no longer work in the Thinkware cams because of some manufacturing change they recently made. Has anyone found a 128gb SD card works well in the F770? Thanks in advance. Joe

I found the same thing. I've been using the LEXAR Cards with no problem, however the NEW LEXAR Cards will not work.

RodeoGeorge

Ahem, fourth post above your post... Post #26. :)

I bought it from here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/232051985650
The packaging seemed legit.

I have used FAKEFLASHTEST.exe and h2testw.exe. It passed them both.

The backside of the SD card shows Made In Korea. I'll write everything that the backside shows:

MB-MC128D
MBMCDGVGOFGW-T
DHF J298GE645
MADE IN KOREA

I found your post here through a web search and wanted to comment that I got a card with the same code of "MBMCDGVGOFGW-T" that yours has. Everything from your description of the back side is the same except the third line of mine seems to be a different serial number: DHFH179GE640. It's supposed to be a 128GB Samsung EVO+ microSD card, but to my dismay and three days of research and testing, is definitely not what it seems. I purchased it from a seller on eBay who had 18 100% positive feedback points, so didn't feel like there was a risk. That was a mistake.

I am certain this is a counterfeit Samsung microSD card. Indicators are that it fails to write/read properly, appears to overwrite the same sectors when filled beyond a certain point, intermittently fails to format, has hundreds of bad sectors fresh out of the package, and is classified as generic in its hard-coded memory. Also, looking at the card itself, the paint-job is low quality, with blurry edges between colors, text that appears slightly off from official images of the product, and the plastic on the back is black when it should be white.

This is a knockoff product that came in what appeared to be genuine Samsung packaging, meaning either the packaging was smuggled out of the warehouse where it was genuinely made for Samsung, or a skilled forger made it. Since typically counterfeit cards come in cheap packaging, this really helps make the card look genuine. It even has the size of the card on the package, which typical counterfeiters don't do. Other than having slightly misaligned cut-outs for the clear plastic window displaying the card, it's well made.

Yours may also have come with an SD adapter that also has Samsung branding, and this may also be counterfeit. Mine was advertised as being made of aluminum but is definitely plastic.

Ahem, fourth post above your post... Post #26. :)

Hey gpb - thank you for the reply. After rereading your earlier post it looks like the PNY Elite 128GB microSD is the best choice and is still working okay for you. This would be a great card as the the pricing is pretty good. If anyone else has had success with this card or any other cards, please share with the rest of us. Thanks in advance. Joe

I found your post here through a web search and wanted to comment that I got a card with the same code of "MBMCDGVGOFGW-T" that yours has. Everything from your description of the back side is the same except the third line of mine seems to be a different serial number: DHFH179GE640. It's supposed to be a 128GB Samsung EVO+ microSD card, but to my dismay and three days of research and testing, is definitely not what it seems. I purchased it from a seller on eBay who had 18 100% positive feedback points, so didn't feel like there was a risk. That was a mistake.

I am certain this is a counterfeit Samsung microSD card. Indicators are that it fails to write/read properly, appears to overwrite the same sectors when filled beyond a certain point, intermittently fails to format, has hundreds of bad sectors fresh out of the package, and is classified as generic in its hard-coded memory. Also, looking at the card itself, the paint-job is low quality, with blurry edges between colors, text that appears slightly off from official images of the product, and the plastic on the back is black when it should be white.

This is a knockoff product that came in what appeared to be genuine Samsung packaging, meaning either the packaging was smuggled out of the warehouse where it was genuinely made for Samsung, or a skilled forger made it. Since typically counterfeit cards come in cheap packaging, this really helps make the card look genuine. It even has the size of the card on the package, which typical counterfeiters don't do. Other than having slightly misaligned cut-outs for the clear plastic window displaying the card, it's well made.

Yours may also have come with an SD adapter that also has Samsung branding, and this may also be counterfeit. Mine was advertised as being made of aluminum but is definitely plastic.
Hi.
My SD card passes the speeds tests as advertised when using a good quality SD card adapter.

I also tested the SD card with apps that test every sector. I think it's called Hw2test.exe. there is another app that test for card quality.

The card passes them all. I did have a fake Lexar card that failed, but the Samsung EVO card does fail once.

I do not believe it's a counter fit because this card works well on my other devices.

Test your card with hw2test.exe.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Couple of updates. I've recently tried a couple of other 128GB cards and here are the results.

#2 - PNY Elite 128GB microSD - https://www.pny.com/Elite_microSDXC_Card_CL_10_85MBs_with_Adapter?sku=P-SDU128U185EL-GE

UPDATE - a couple days ago my F770 started with the "'format your memory card for data integrity" announcement and the Format button would do nothing. Swapped back to a 32GB card and reformatted and the F770 is happy. Tried the 128GB PNY again and it won't format in the F770. I've not yet had time to look at the card in my computer.

I recently purchase a Samsung Evo+ 128GB card for my F770. Popped it in the F770 right out of the box and it works fine. When I am back to my home garage, I usually turn it off manually with the power off button as I do not feel the need to do parking recording when I am at home. Plus I might not be driving the same car next day so I do not want it to run till the voltage go low. The next time I start the engine, the F770 will complain about the memory card error. I cannot format it with the F770. All I can do is take out the card, format the card again with a computer and it will accept that card again. I might give it a try to format the card in FAT32 and see if it helps but it is pain in the butt how Thinkware machine are so picky on the card. I have already waste money on a high endurance Sandisk card for the same F770.

Back