Memory card failure? - Blank screen with constant beeping

Phantomx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has had a 522GW for about two years now, it's been working great, but he's noticed a blank screen with constant beeping recently, he took out the memory card and the dash cam was fine then, the card being used was the included NextBase 32GB as part of the bundle when he bought it, is it normal for their own cards to fail like this after barely a few years?

Also, is there any chance they would swap out the card since it was part of the bundle and they recommend using it? :ROFLMAO:

I had to replace my SD card after 1 1/2 years, no beeping, just stopped recording, non-NB card, guess it just wore out …

My dad has had a 522GW for about two years now, it's been working great, but he's noticed a blank screen with constant beeping recently, he took out the memory card and the dash cam was fine then, the card being used was the included NextBase 32GB as part of the bundle when he bought it, is it normal for their own cards to fail like this after barely a few years?

Also, is there any chance they would swap out the card since it was part of the bundle and they recommend using it? :ROFLMAO:
Hello,

Has your father been formatting the SD card within the camera regularly please?
SD cards only have limited lifespans. In our manuals we recommend formatting every 2-3 weeks to prolong the life of the card. Without this regular formatting, or if the card is non-compatible or damaged, the card could corrupt which would cause a failure of data writing.
Symptoms of SD card failure are: an audible 'alarm' tone, non-functional buttons, freezing, corrupted files on playback, image missing from files, lack of file recording etc.

You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Windows Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows)
d) Ensure the 'Quick Format box' is not ticked. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

It's crucial to format the SD card every two weeks to avoid any SD card failures.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back