Memory Card Shortage?

c4rc4m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo WR1, A119 Pro. VicoVation Opia 2, Mobius 1
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone else is noticing a shortage of memory cards.

I've been looking recently to acquire a new card in Micro SDXC 64Gb or 128GB, but I'm finding practically every product out of stock at every store.

I know there was a reported NAND shortage at the end of last year, but haven't heard / can't find anything about it since. However, my searches seem to show most high performance memory card products out of stock in most places.

There is a worldwide shortage at the moment, has been for a few months. Too much demand and under supply of NAND being the cause.

yeah it also seem like some factories are retooling for new stuff.

Things should right them self soon.

Wont be that soon. Expected shortage until manufacturers make the switch to 3D NAND are expected until the last qtr 2017.

My 128GB Sandisk Ultra bought in the first week of December has gone down from $48 to $39 whereas the Transcend 64GB bought in the first week of October has almost doubled from $20 to $38. It's a matter of stock the distributors and dealers are holding/hoarding during such shortages.

My 128GB Sandisk Ultra bought in the first week of December has gone down from $48 to $39 whereas the Transcend 64GB bought in the first week of October has almost doubled from $20 to $38. It's a matter of stock the distributors and dealers are holding/hoarding during such shortages.

Yes, I notice on Amazon that there is a healthy supply of many flavors of memory cards from different manufacturers but some prices have skyrocketed while others have gone up only slightly, if at all. Samsung cards in particular seem very reasonable, perhaps because the South Korean supply chain differs from the Taiwanese supply chain.

Samsung cards in particular seem very reasonable, perhaps because the South Korean supply chain differs from the Taiwanese supply chain.

In all probability this is the reason.

Sandisk and Samsung are currently the cheapest here.

Back