Memory Cards Confirmed Working/Not Working?

runtohell121

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo & Vantrue - too many to list
Recently received the Viofo A229 for testing and decided to use my SanDisk High Endurance 128gb card that was used in a Thinkware X700 previously - was able to record for about 15 minute before it stops recording and throws a memory error.

Anyone had any issues with SanDisk High Endurance cards? Going to pop out my Samsung Evo Select (white/green) 256gb from the Viofo T130 and hope that will work fine. Will find out tomorrow...

That is what happens with fake cards.

The 'header' capacity is what you bought but the actual capacity is far less so it just stops.

Test it with h2testw

Also test the cards actual write speed with Speedout 0.5

That is what happens with fake cards.

The 'header' capacity is what you bought but the actual capacity is far less so it just stops.

Test it with h2testw

Also test the cards actual write speed with Speedout 0.5

Highly doubt the SanDisk card is fake - had it a long time in the Thinkware X700 and other dash cams. Was my main go to card before I purchased the Samsung Evo Select 256gb for the Viofo A139/T130 and after a while, decided to purchase the Samsung Evo Select (blue, 2021 version) 512gb but that didn't play well with Viofo dash cams.

edit: i'll run some test on the card when I have time and access to a Windows computer - as my main computer is a mac.

Last edited:
This is not an indicator.
What works in one model may not work in another.

Yeah, I do realize that, which is why I am asking what cards are confirmed to be working with the A229 as well before I start buying newer cards since I'm taking the Samsung Evo Select 256gb (white/green) off my Viofo T130 that I was using - will need to find a replacement card for it.

It might be worth a full format using the SD Card Formatter to "reset" your "SanDisk High Endurance 128gb card" before you give up on it. It may just have become "fragmented" by the Thinkware and become a bit too slow.

It might be worth a full format using the SD Card Formatter to "reset" your "SanDisk High Endurance 128gb card" before you give up on it. It may just have become "fragmented" by the Thinkware and become a bit too slow.

Will try - I've did that with a 512gb Samsung card a while back when using it in a Viofo (didn't work still though).

For memory cards, we suggest to use 64, 128, 256GB cards, there is no good 512GB card in the market for the dash cam.
If you check the big brand like Samsung and Sandisk, they also only have a max 256GB endurance card.
The SanDisk MAX endurance version price is double the high Endurance version.

For T130, better to use the FAT32 format and choose the 65536 unit size if using the GUIFORMAT tool.

Out of the three (3) cards I've tried so far - all of them fully (overwrite) formatted via SDFormatter, I'll be sticking with the Samsung Evo Select 256GB.

The Viofo A229 is set to 2K front + rear at normal bitrate.
  • Samsung Evo Select 256GB (white/green) - works 90% of the time - occasionally stops once in a while and requires a press of the record button to continue.
  • Sandisk High Endurance 128GB - works about 50% of the time - was working fine the past 2 days, then decided to stop recording today; have to manually restart recording, but stops recording about 5 minutes in.,
  • Samsung Evo Select 512GB (blue, 2021 new card from Samsung) - works about 5% of the time - records about 10-15 minute, then stops and requires restarting, then stops again, it's a cycle, so it's useless.

512GB (blue, 2021 new card from Samsung)
I'm surprised at your results.
Viofo specs only suggest max cap of 256GB for the A229

Where you just experimenting with the 512?

With the cards you tested did you also format them in the dash cam before use?

I'm surprised at your results.
Viofo specs only suggest max cap of 256GB for the A229

Where you just experimenting with the 512?

With the cards you tested did you also format them in the dash cam before use?

Pretty much - purchased the 512gb intended to use with some other dash cams originally, but didn't work so it's been set aside; decided to try it on this as well, no go.

Yes, all cards were formatted with SD Formatter on Mac, then formatted again in the dash cam before using.

I had problems myself with a SanDisk High Endurance 128 in my 3 channel T130. After aprox. 15 minutes, the camera started to reboot continuously.
I have checked the card with h2testw and find some errors that couldn't be fixed. The card was bought from a big online store from my country. Is working good though in old A119S.

I am using my old SanDisk A1 Ultra 128 for several months with T130 and it's working flawlessly.

Am using Sandisk MAX Endurance 256GB (purchased directly from Amazon as the seller, so am fairly confident it is not a fake), have had it installed for a day now, no issues reported so far, will update in a week.

I had problems myself with a SanDisk High Endurance 128 in my 3 channel T130. After aprox. 15 minutes, the camera started to reboot continuously.
I have checked the card with h2testw and find some errors that couldn't be fixed. The card was bought from a big online store from my country. Is working good though in old A119S.

I am using my old SanDisk A1 Ultra 128 for several months with T130 and it's working flawlessly.
Yes, we found this High Endurance card may have compatible issue, but no issues with the MAX Endurance version.

Ok, for 2 days, my T130 is running on 256 Gb SanDisk A1 Ultra with no problems.
I'm driving 7 maybe 8 hours per day (except saturday and sunday) and I am using 12 hours setting for parking mode with low bitrate.
Therefore, the camera is running 20/24.

Reporting back after a week, zero issues with Sandisk MAX Endurance 256GB, both whilst driving/engine is on or in parking mode.

Reactions: spb
Might have to pick up a Sandisk Max Endurance then... My Samsung Evo Select (256gb, green/white) card is stopping recording more frequently now - same with the Sandisk High Endurance (128gb).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar A229 / A229 Duo 1
Karagandinez A229 / A229 Duo 8
Back