Memory Cards Confirmed Working/Not Working?

This has cheered me up!

Bought new car, new dashcam (A229 Duo) plus nice big recommended card (256Gb Samsung Pro Endurance) and it seems likely that it is not going to be reliable - great!

Probably won't find out until I get around to fitting the rear cam - only running the front at the moment?

I thought I had bought a Viofo recommended card but now they are saying "Ah, but not that colour"!

Not sure if you have looked at how much Viofo is charging for their memory vs other dashcam manufacturers...But Viofo isn't really making that much.
$69.99 for their 256GB Viofo card vs $55-60 for the equivalent 256GB SanDisk MAX Endurance.

If Viofo really want to make money on cards, they would do like BlackVue and not recommend any other memory manufacturer except their own, warranty it for only 6 months, and charge outrageous prices for them.

View attachment 62069View attachment 62071
View attachment 62070View attachment 62072
Question is who makes the cards for Viofo and how are they different from the others.

The low writing speeds (1.09MB/s) was AFTER I took it out of the Viofo when it started beeping and stopping recording.
Gentlemen, memory cards are a lottery ticket.
Of the proven ones, you can safely use the old version (out of production)
Samsung GA series with U3 index,
GOODRAM IRDM U3 and of course Viofo memory cards.

This has cheered me up!

Bought new car, new dashcam (A229 Duo) plus nice big recommended card (256Gb Samsung Pro Endurance) and it seems likely that it is not going to be reliable - great!

Probably won't find out until I get around to fitting the rear cam - only running the front at the moment?

I thought I had bought a Viofo recommended card but now they are saying "Ah, but not that colour"!
Had a long discussion with Viofo support and they simply say: buy one of the recommended cards/colors and if it does not work, then the camera is faulty....

As i could return the Samsung Endurance Pro 256Gb i will buy a "recommended " Sandisk Max Endurance (Viofo brand is not easy to find here). I am thinking of getting the 128Gb version in stead of 256gb. I know it wears out 2 times faster but probably the card will survive the camera in terms of economical life cycle.

Well update, almost at a full week and the SanDisk 256 Max endurance sdcard is playing very well with the A229 duo. First thing I did was format the sdcard. This full format was faster than the Samsung sdcard, it only took 5 hours and change this time instead of the almost 7 that it did with the Samsung.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Thnx for your update @fooz10.
I've ordered a Sandisk Max Endurance 128Gb and I'm planning to pick it up today or tomorrow. 256Gb was not directly available.

by the way: are you recording at max bitrate?

Because of the disputes here and the accusations of A229 that he does not want to work with 256GB memory cards,
he specially purchased a Goodram 256GB memory card.
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-20 at 15.53.11.jpegНовая_FAT32.png
Memory card test after purchase.

После 14 часов записи 3CH T130.png
Memory card test after 14 hours of continuous recording in T130.
The recording was made from 3 cameras and with the maximum bitrate.

At the moment, the memory card is in the A229 DUO, is recording with the maximum bitrate and is 70 percent full. Let's see how it behaves further, but so far there have been no problems.

Thnx for your update @fooz10.
I've ordered a Sandisk Max Endurance 128Gb and I'm planning to pick it up today or tomorrow. 256Gb was not directly available.

by the way: are you recording at max bitrate?
I think I'm running it on high. But the issue would occur with the old sdcard no matter what bitrate was selected.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Interested to see how other microsd card performs long term with the A229.

I'm still in the process of RMA for the Samsung card, such a long process.

Currently using the Sandisk 200gb A1 and checked the car recently, seems to be working fine still.

Installed this dash cam yesterday and using the 256gb sandisk max endurance formatted with viofos sd card formatter. So far no issues. Will report in a week or so.

I also got the Sandisk Max Endurance last Monday. Until now no beeping. My previous Samsungs malfunctioned after 1 day

Wow... Am i glad i found this thread. I created an account just so i could reply and post my experience with the a229 duo. I purchased the camera October 3, 2022. I installed it using the HK4 hard wire kit into my new 2022 rav4.
My desired recording settings are as follows:
1440p + 1440p, max bitrate , 10 minute loop recording (for normal driving).
Low bitrate for parking mode. I have the parking mode duration set for 12 hours.
As far as i can tell, parking mode works fine. The issue I've been having (and it mirrors other users issues) is that when you start the car (so the camera goes from park mode to normal driving mode) the camera start beeping after about 30 seconds.

I've tried it on the following three SD cards: Samsung Pro Endurance 64Ggb (the new model with the blue lettering), Samsung Pro Endurance 256gb (also the new model with the blue lettering), Samsung Evo Select 128gb. For clarity's sake, I've attached a pic of the actual SD cards i've been trying over the past 3 weeks.

The Samsung Pro Endurance 64gb model (the new one with the blue lettering) starting beeping immediately, but seemed to work fine at first at 1080p + 1080p normal bit rate. After about 2 weeks it started to beep about 30 seconds after starting the car even in the lower bitrate/resolution setting.

The Samsung Evo Select 128gb also started beeping immediately at 1440p + 1440p, max bit rate. It seemed happy at 1440p + 1440p normal bitrate for only a few days before having the beep-on-startup issue. (I realize this one was never advertised as being recommended or rated for dash cam duty. I'm including this here for completeness though).

The Samsung Pro Endurance 256gb model (also the new one with the blue lettering) worked fine at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate, but only for about 24 hours. This one i tried a full, slow format with the guiformat tool recommended. This took about 8 hours or so. after the slow format it seemed to work again at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate, but went back to beeping on startup after a day.

I will be returning all 3 SD cards and i will try the Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb (the white one with gold lettering). If that does not work, I will try the Viofo branded card. I'll post updates as they happen.
while i wait for the sandisk card to arrive, I'll use whatever sd card i have spare laying around at 1080p + 1080p low bitrate (so that i at least have some footage, even if poor quality, in the event of an accident)

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_152542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221029_152542_HDR.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 7
Hi @Paul_VB . Exactly the same issue as i had (and more users). Now I'm using the Sandisk Max Endurance 128Gb for a week and it works without issues. I'm glad I could return the Samsung Pro Endurance.

Just got my Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb card yesterday (October 31, 2022). I tested it in my driveway with the car idling for about 20 mins at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate, and it seemed fine.

That being said, sitting in a driveway is not real world driving conditions, nor is 20 mins enough time to properly test it. I'll give periodic updates for the next few weeks to let you all know how its going.

Just got my Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb card yesterday (October 31, 2022). I tested it in my driveway with the car idling for about 20 mins at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate, and it seemed fine.

That being said, sitting in a driveway is not real world driving conditions, nor is 20 mins enough time to properly test it. I'll give periodic updates for the next few weeks to let you all know how its going.
Just a Lil update: so ive had the Sandisk Max Endurance for about 3 days now and so far its been working perfectly! No beeping or anything. Works fine at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate

Just a Lil update: so ive had the Sandisk Max Endurance for about 3 days now and so far its been working perfectly! No beeping or anything. Works fine at 1440p + 1440p max bitrate
Update: ive had the Sandisk Max Endurance 256gb for just about a month now, and it has been working perfectly! No beeping or recording issues at all!

Dont mean to necro this thread, but i did promise id give a longer term update in case anyone in the future has issues with this dashcam + Samsung Pro Endurance cards

My A229 has not been tested or installed yet, but I have two questions:
  1. Is anyone using a Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB that works? This is the card I have, so I'd like to know if I need to get something else.
  2. How long does the initial formatting in the camera (Viofo recommends) take? I'm seeing posts stating 5 - 7 hours. How do I keep the camera powered for that long?
  3. Or should I just format using a computer?

My A229 has not been tested or installed yet, but I have two questions:
  1. Is anyone using a Samsung Pro Endurance 256GB that works? This is the card I have, so I'd like to know if I need to get something else.
  2. How long does the initial formatting in the camera (Viofo recommends) take? I'm seeing posts stating 5 - 7 hours. How do I keep the camera powered for that long?
  3. Or should I just format using a computer?
I had nothing but trouble with that card. Return it and get the Sandisk Max Endurance card.

I put a new PNY XLR8 memory card in my A229 system today, seem to work, but only time will tell, and it take me a while to fill the 256GB large memory card.

1-PNY-Flash-Memory-Cards-microSDXC-256GB-Gaming-fr.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar A229 / A229 Duo 1
Karagandinez A229 / A229 Duo 8
Back