Memory Cards for B40/A118/AE-CC30

robertk328

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
A118
I ordered an A118 today and have been reading the threads here about memory cards. Can we start a list of what memory cards people are finding to work well with this camera? A link and/or picture to the particular one would be helpful, I think (since there are a variety of "Sandisk 32gb" for example out there).

i've got a ridata 32gb class 10 which came in a package deal with the camera from Spytec. had some issues with it looping on the 3 minute setting but it seems to be ok so far on 1 minute loop.

edit sept3: seems like the looping issue was caused by a bug with the g sensor. now that i have turned off the g sensor, it's looping just fine.

Last edited:
I have a Sandisk Ultra 32Gb SDHC that gave me error messages in a Note 2 phone. I tried to use it in my B40 and it also gave me error messages. It tests good, so I use it as I would a flashdrive to keep documents and pictures on. I now use a 32Gb Kingston SDHC card with success in my phone and B40.

I have to edit... I could not use the Kingston card in the camera either. It downloaded about 9 5-min segments and stopped. I switched the camera to save in 3-min segments like I had read. This worked for about 10 segments and stopped. I looked at the box and realized it was a class 4 card.

Then I used a 16Gb PNY class 10 card. It has been able to record over 30 3-min segments without any trouble this time. It may have something more to do with the speed of the card than the brand.

Last edited:
I'm using a Kingston 16GB Class10 SDC10/16GB
No Problem so far, but I think it's a bit overrated with Class10
I had read some of those reviews on Amazon (about the Kingston), so I purchased a Transcend 32GB after seeing some other reviews/experiences here on DCT. It arrives Friday so I'll test it out over the weekend.

This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CES44EO

Attachments

• 71sFClimTvL._SL1500_.jpg
    71sFClimTvL._SL1500_.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 9
Using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB microSDHC Class 10/UHS-1

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B007XZM6VG
No problems at all using it so far. So maybe there are not the same types of issues with compatibility of Sandisk cards and this cam as there are from what I read about the G1W. Everyone says to avoid it with that camera.

Ah okay.

Well just in case anyway, it does work with the cam I got from foxoffer1 if others have ordered from the same seller/ebay page.

looks like I cannot use Sandisk on this cam, class 10, 32gb.

Here is my issue from another thread:
Honestly, I just want to send this cam back! there is soooo much headache with it!
my other cam works just fine with NO issues at all!
Many other cams take pretty much any sd card. This one only prefers other brands? come on!
I always used SanDisk cards: tab, phone, cams, another cam.
Today, when I started my car, cam was stuck on "welcome" screen. I had to press "reset" 3 TIMES! then it started working!
Another thing: I came to work, took the cam with me. 15-20 min decided to turn it on - and guess what? it works fine!
I really don't know what's up with this cam!
this is such BS.
I already complained to the seller on ebay.

I really don't want to buy a card on internet and then it wouldn't work!
you know when you buy anything these days, the packing is sooo hard to open and then you are stuck with a product you cant return at all.

I use Sandisk cards in all of my electronics...

That's bizarre as I used the Sandisk 64GB SDXC in mine at the weekend and it seemed fine - recorded six hours of footage without a blip.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/B007XZM6VG
Admittedly the card isn't full enough to see what happens when it gets to looping but I'll see. Filling the card up with a different cam at the mo.

Maybe it's just a faulty unit you have there - did you try it without the memory card fitted like Rick suggested?

Also try running h2testw on that card in case it's faulty as maybe that's why you're having so many issues.

I see in your other post you're going to try another card - try and see if you can update the firmware with that card as that can potentially help matter as well (assuming they had SD compatibility fixes in the releases since yours has).

The Sandisk do have issues with these things as they tend to slow down when fragmented and doing random IO. I think unfortunately they aim a lot of their stuff these days at smartphones and they don't bother optimising things like they used too.

Last edited:
I can highly recommend the Samsung Evo 32gb cards.. I purchased mine directly from Amazon, so definitely not fake and have a return available if there were a fault, Not had a single issue.... It loop records fine and I have updated the firmware twice using the card with no issues....

I use a Samsung 64GB EVO class 10 microSD card with no issues yet. Model #: MB-MP64DA/AM

I've tested the camera by leaving it on to fill up the card and force a loop. I have tested it on the 1, 3, and 5 min loop times. Regardless how I format the card, either via the computer (using SmartDisk_FAT32_tool.exe) or in the camera, looping still works. No issues with card full errors or frozen welcome screen.

I do not have issues using a 64GB card, but it is not officially supported. If you want less potential for issues, stick with 32GB cards.

Updated: finished testing all loop times.

Attachments

• 61x7HegbYvL._SL1200_.jpg
    61x7HegbYvL._SL1200_.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
you know when you buy anything these days, the packing is sooo hard to open and then you are stuck with a product you cant return at all.

i had to laugh when i first heard of "amazon certified frustration-free packaging". i selected it on a whim when i bought the sd card for my phone last year, not knowing what to expect. it cost the same as the non-frustration-free item, so why not? turned out it was a thick paper envelope with a simple perforated tear-off strip, and inside was the instructions and the standard plastic click open/closed sd card case. no tools required, no sharp plastic packaging to slice me between my fingers, and easily recyclable. and since it was from amazon, if i had to return it, i could have just taped the envelope closed and sent it back if i had to.

i had to laugh when i first heard of "amazon certified frustration-free packaging". i selected it on a whim when i bought the sd card for my phone last year, not knowing what to expect. it cost the same as the non-frustration-free item, so why not? turned out it was a thick paper envelope with a simple perforated tear-off strip, and inside was the instructions and the standard plastic click open/closed sd card case. no tools required, no sharp plastic packaging to slice me between my fingers, and easily recyclable. and since it was from amazon, if i had to return it, i could have just taped the envelope closed and sent it back if i had to.

ha - ha! nice one!

That's how my card came as well. Easy open!

Back