Memory cards working with the A139

Yea, probably somewhat obvious, but the Sandisk High Endurance 256GB card does work. I'll second that one. Would be nice to see some 512GB users. I am all for storage. My PC has over 20TB's - and I could always use more ;)

Sandisk High Endurance 256GB

I mean 256 is sufficient. It gives a few days of recording. Enough time if an event happens, you have time to pull off the video. Generally speaking, if the accident is major, chances the camera is going to be continuously running afterwards are slim. And in the event that happens, send a family member or police out to the car to yank the power cable and eject memory card.

And if the accident isn't your fault, video would be considered evidence that the police / insurance company would definitely want preserved.

Last edited:
20211222_175418 (2).jpgScreenshot_20211222-175120_VIOFO.jpg

Hmm :unsure:, seems promising.

The fact that the DVR sees a 1 terabyte card is good, you still want to see how it works with it.

While a 1 terabyte memory card seems pretty cool, it makes me think about how many times over my last 11 years of dash cam ownership I've been inserting or removing a card from a camera only to have it go shooting off into some dark recess of my vehicle, sometimes never to be seen again. One time I removed a 64GB card from a camera and put it into its plastic case (back when 64 GB cards were much more costly than they are now). When I got to my office and went to retrieve the card, the case was empty. I have no clue what happened to the card and I spent way too much time hunting for it but it disappeared forever along with my recordings.

I would hate to lose a memory card that costs more than a 1 terabyte hard drive plus all the data that was on it.

For these reasons, my preference is a card that handles my data needs but is still of reasonable capacity and easy to replace, as well as affordable enough to keep a spare handy in my vehicle. I usually go for 128 to 256 GB memory for my single channel cameras. I usually still use 64GB cards in Mobius cameras. Obviously, multi-channel camera users might want and need higher capacity.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if this dash cam can handle such a large volume.
I use 64-128 GB of memory for my DVRs and I am not going to increase the volume.

The question of whether any dash cam can handle such a large memory card is interesting and would be good to know.

The question of whether it is a good idea for most users is a different matter.

My understanding (according to WD) is that these 1 terabyte memory cards are primarily intended for stationary IP cameras and CCTV systems even if they might work in a dash cam.

The fact that the DVR sees a 1 terabyte card is good, you still want to see how it works with it.
Well, obviously. I'll report back the result but for now I haven't noticed any hiccups, will see after the whole card gets filled.

I think the main issue will be the app and FTP. First the app claimed "Error -13" when I tried to format the card, despite the dashcam reported "Format successful" (works fine so far). The same goes for the view of the footage which loading of thumbnails is lazy and slow even with 256GB via 5GHz.

I don't see why the terabyte memory card wouldn't work in a dash cam.

It occurs to me that you would need a good sized hard drive on hand when you want to download the card for viewing on a computer. Fortunately big drives are pretty affordable these days but that's a lot of data to transfer.

Well, Viofo said 256GB is the limit, so until one tries we won't know for sure. One can assume it'll work but the reality could be different. (I remember HTC HD2 rated for only 32GB card and even 512GB worked without issues :unsure: )

But the reason behind the larger card for me is actually the oposite. By massive card I'm giving me a time-buffer for noticing a damage on my car for around 4 days back without the need to pull the card out. In order to have such buffer with a smaller card, I would be forced to backup the whole card everyday. Not to mention durability which, despite half of the overwrittes specs for QD101 card (in compare to QD102), with 4x capacity it still doubles the longevity (also WD Purple 256GB QD102 cost me about 70$ and 1TB QD101 is 180$).

Ok, two weeks in with WD Purple 1TB card, 24/7, no issues so far.

After a week I bought a second one for the rear unit because the price was quite fair (WD website says 270$, local seller 180$) and I was afraid it's just a mistake, but interestingly enough other sellers dropped their prices now even to 160$.

EDIT: But keep in mind that it's QD101 version, which has only 500 overwrites total, so only 512GB and 1TB are interesting versions. In case of lower capacities go for QD102 (quite hard to get these days, because they are probably discontinued) or even better QD312 (I've never seen anyone sell it).

Last edited:
̶S̶a̶n̶D̶i̶s̶k̶ ̶E̶x̶t̶r̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶1̶T̶B̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶ ̶N̶O̶T̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶V̶i̶o̶f̶o̶ ̶A̶1̶3̶9̶.̶ ̶T̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶r̶a̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶P̶C̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶F̶A̶T̶3̶2̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶N̶T̶F̶S̶.̶

Last edited:
Did you format it in camera?
Yes, Viofo app trew at me an Error-13 (if I remember correctly) but the dashcam said "Success" and worked normaly. But it was probably just a random error because when I tried to format the second 1TB card in the second A139, the app claimed success as well.

SanDisk Extreme 1TB confirmed NOT working in Viofo A139. Tried formatting in camera, and on PC with FAT32 and NTFS.
So incompatible 1TB cards do exist afterall, and interestingly enough, despite being the same company, WD cards are different to SanDisk.

Yes, Viofo app trew at me an Error-13 (if I remember correctly) but the dashcam said "Success" and worked normaly. But it was probably just a random error because when I tried to format the second 1TB card in the second A139, the app claimed success as well.
If Viofo app gives an error, you need to do a quick format using Windows and then Viofo app formats the memory card without giving an error.

I am looking for a 256 GB card for my Viofo A129 Plus Duo. Currently I am using Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB and they don't have 256 GB option which wonders me. Saw the Sandisk High Endurance 256 GB card in Amazon. Is this a good card to use in Viofo cams because Viofo suggests to use Viofo or Samsung cards only?

I am looking for a 256 GB card for my Viofo A129 Plus Duo. Currently I am using Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB and they don't have 256 GB option which wonders me. Saw the Sandisk High Endurance 256 GB card in Amazon. Is this a good card to use in Viofo cams because Viofo suggests to use Viofo or Samsung cards only?
The SanDisk High Endurance cards work well with the Viofo cameras.

I use this one and it works very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-003118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-003118_Samsung Internet.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 7
Ok, two weeks in with WD Purple 1TB card, 24/7, no issues so far.

After a week I bought a second one for the rear unit because the price was quite fair (WD website says 270$, local seller 180$) and I was afraid it's just a mistake, but interestingly enough other sellers dropped their prices now even to 160$.

EDIT: But keep in mind that it's QD101 version, which has only 500 overwrites total, so only 512GB and 1TB are interesting versions. In case of lower capacities go for QD102 (quite hard to get these days, because they are probably discontinued) or even better QD312 (I've never seen anyone sell it).

So now having used the 1TB WD for about a month, is the card working properly? Have you checked recordings? No Gaps? Errors? Freezes with the Viofo A139?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D A139 6
R A139 4
Back