Merge push in

adalex

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I swear nobody around here knows how to merge. Merge means push your way to the front and cut people off. This happened a little while ago coming home, the camera makes it look further away than it was but he came speeding off the interstate until we were parallel and had no inclination to slow down. I did go that way (and actually saw the apartment complex he pulled into) but no I didn't follow him.

had no inclination to slow down.

Worse than that, he didn't speed up either, when he was ahead of you. At least that would have been an effort to avoid a collision.

The idiot probably had cruise control on.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Agree. Seems the art of driving for many has never been mastered. Too many Drive as if they are the only vehicle on the road.

It is all about them. They need to merge, you need to make room.

The crazy thing is, if they are so much in a hurry, why don't they hurry when they get in front ?

The prime merge directive for most seem to be " for god sake don't merge behind anything, just push thru to get in front"

What I see often in heavier traffic, is, they will pass up large gaps they could merge into, to push to the end of the ramp, to get ahead of just a few more cars, and force their way in. (Screwing up everybody)

Yeah it is not merging, it is selfish people displaying their lack of overtaking skills,,,, among other things they lack too :rolleyes:

I really dislike people like that, but Danish society forbid me to do what i like to do with them :(

i was on the freeway a couple weeks ago with cruise set at 65. there was some slower traffic coming up the on-ramp to my right, but because they were so much slower than me, i didn't move over. i couldn't anyway, since there was an 18-wheeler to my left, passing me. (i was planning to take the next exit). anyway, the lead car in the merging traffic was going MAYBE 50 mph, and tried to come into my lane right as he was alongside me. the safest thing for me to do was floor the throttle to get out of his way. and then he had the nerve to honk at ME!

sad thing is, that was a chevy tahoe, so it had MORE than enough power to have actually accelerated on the ACCELERATION LANE he was on and comfortably merged ahead of me, where there were no other vehicles.

seems another common thing here is to NOT accelerate up the on-ramp. just dawdle along at 40-45mph, and then only AFTER you're actually on the main lanes, THEN you MAYBE think about accelerating. my cars have gotten plenty of italian tune-ups blowing past these idiots. i refuse to be rear-ended by someone doing 75+ just because you don't feel comfy doing anywhere near the predominant speed on the road you're getting onto. if you're that uncomfortable using a freeway, then maybe you should consider turning in your keys and license.

Agree. I was taught that entering traffic is supposed to match speed with thoroughgoing traffic and not the other way around.

This is one of my pet hates, people that are not aware of their surroundings. They want to merge but have no idea of their speed difference compared to your speed.

slow.jpg

In the old days here on ramps was actually called acceleration lanes, as that's what you was supposed to do, IE, get up to speed and then merge using the omni present " under mutual consideration"

This is one of my pet hates, people that are not aware of their surroundings. They want to merge but have no idea of their speed difference compared to your speed.
I think the authorities' obsession with speed limits is largely to blame for this. Human motor skills (no pun) do not work on numbers, they work on perception and spatial judgement. And that is bypassed when you train people to make indirect judgements - i.e. 1 what speed am I doing, 2 is this legal?

Imagine if a monkey swinging between trees, instead of simply aiming at the next branch, tried to numerically calculate the speed and angle needed, then try to match that. It just wouldn't work. And it doesn't work when people drive either. Especially when the speed was chosen was chosen by a different person at a different time with no idea of the current situation!

I think they should tape over the speedo during driving tests to see if the driver can judge the correct speed by themselves.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Freeway traffic here always goes well over the speed limit so to merge you have to do that too but many people still don't get it. And many people don't begin to look for a space to move into until they're past the separation and next to a lane of travel. Those are the same folks who wait until they're stopped for a stop sign before looking at the surrounding traffic. They're totally unaware of the other folks around them :eek: And of them, sone don't care where the others are since they always get out of the way trying to avoid a crash caused by these idiots :mad:

The bottom line is that some people are unfit to drive and until they are taken off the road we all lose because of them :(

Phil

Back