Metering

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
My Dazzne P2 Plus action camera has Spot, Center and AIAE metering menu settings. I understand spot and center but what does AIAE stand for? I'm sure it's an evaluative or matrix metering but I'm just wondering about the abbreviation. An online search didn't yield any results that explain AIAE and an e-mail to Dazzne went unanswered.

More broadly, how does metering work when shooting videos? When the camera and subject are stationary the camera evaluates the light condition at a particular instant. But when the camera, the subject or both are moving, the spot or center changes all the time as indeed does any evaluative matrix. Other than a video with limited movement wouldn't the largest possible area of evaluation always be best? The following is a brief video shot inside a historic church. The contrast of sunlight streaming in through the windows and the dark ceiling timbers overhead is rather severe. The Dazzne didn't handle it well even when set to AIAE metering. Perhaps only full-feature camcorders or higher-end equipment could handle this but certainly spot or center-weighted metering wouldn't have helped, would it? Maybe the Dazzne is programmed to automatically exclude spot or center-weighted metering when it's in video mode regardless of the metering setting - I don't know.

Any ideas? Thanks and cheers! :)

Can't answer about that camera specifically but generally AI means Artificial Intelligence. That being the case the acronym would be Artificially Intelligent Automatic Exposure. :D

What that might mean in regards to how it's implemented on your camera is anybody's guess. Only their marketing department knows for sure. :(

Can't answer about that camera specifically but generally AI means Artificial Intelligence. That being the case the acronym would be Artificially Intelligent Automatic Exposure. :D

What that might mean in regards to how it's implemented on your camera is anybody's guess. Only their marketing department knows for sure. :(
LOL!!! :D Your definition might be "spot on". ;)

Average Image Automatic Exposure

An average setting is far more common than an undefined artificial intelligence setting!

The person writing the menu probably didn't know what the SDK abbreviation stood for so just copied it.

An average setting is far more common than an undefined artificial intelligence setting!

The person writing the menu probably didn't know what the SDK abbreviation stood for so just copied it.
Thanks Nigel. SDK = software development kit?

Yes, SDK = Software Development Kit.

What we need around here is a list of TLA's.

(TLA = Three Letter Acronym)

An average setting is far more common than an undefined artificial intelligence setting!...
AI has been an acronym for Artificial Intelligence for at least 20 years now. I thinking that some marketing department is 'borrowing' it to elevate their product without really doing anything. :eek:

'Average Image' AE has been described a 'average' for as long as I can remember.

Yes, SDK = Software Development Kit.

What we need around here is a list of TLA's.

(TLA = Three Letter Acronym)

AI has been an acronym for Artificial Intelligence for at least 20 years now. I thinking that some marketing department is 'borrowing' it to elevate their product without really doing anything. :eek:

'Average Image' AE has been described a 'average' for as long as I can remember.
A list of TLA's would really be A-OK. :)

Maybe it is "Average Intensity"? Either would be too long for a typical SDK author to cope with!

What processor is in the P2 Plus?

Maybe it is "Average Intensity"? Either would be too long for a typical SDK author to cope with!

What processor is in the P2 Plus?
Novatek 96660.

Speaking of the SDK author, in another thread I mentioned how the Properties > Details > Camera name for all the Dazzne's photos is listed as SJCam and how there's a problem with video "blackouts", same as Pavle rant into when he was testing the SJCam M10+. The two videos below show the problem. DCT member gitup said the same developer was responsible for Gitup, SJCam M10+ and the Dazzne P2 Plus. He said gitup caught the blackout problem before their cameras went to market and that SJCam has issued a corrective firmware update for the M10+. Dazzne apparently did neither. I sent an e-mail about the problem to Dazzne support but so far there's been no response.

In the first video you'll notice it at 0:19 and 0:21.

In the second video you'll notice it at 3:42 and 8:06.

Speaking of the SDK author

the 'author' of the SDK is Novatek, the firmware author though will just do whatever the customer requests, even if they supply to more than one customer as in this case if SJCAM asks for a fix it doesn't automatically happen for Dazzne, they'd need to request the same fix

The two videos below show the problem. DCT member gitup said the same developer was responsible for Gitup, SJCam M10+ and the Dazzne P2 Plus
Sorry, maybe I didn't write this clearly, we have our own develop team, totally different and more powerful develop team, that's why we can always make something new on NTK96660 platform.
That black frame is first found by DCT and RCGroups member from one of video we uploaded before Git2 release, we spend about one week with Novatek to solve that.
Other company only need update SDK to solve that issue even they don't know there is such problem.
For Dazzne, they didn't sell well, I thought they don't care about update the SDK to the latest.

the 'author' of the SDK is Novatek, the firmware author though will just do whatever the customer requests, even if they supply to more than one customer as in this case if SJCAM asks for a fix it doesn't automatically happen for Dazzne, they'd need to request the same fix
Thanks jokiin. All these terms are new to me! :)

Sorry, maybe I didn't write this clearly, we have our own develop team, totally different and more powerful develop team, that's why we can always make something new on NTK96660 platform.
That black frame is first found by DCT and RCGroups member from one of video we uploaded before Git2 release, we spend about one week with Novatek to solve that.
Other company only need update SDK to solve that issue even they don't know there is such problem.
For Dazzne, they didn't sell well, I thought they don't care about update the SDK to the latest.
My apologies gitup.:oops: All this is new to me so I misinterpreted what you said. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Back