Micro SD card compatability with my 6 Mobius. What worked for me.

newton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
x6 B Lens supercap FW0.59
Ok, so I wanted to post about this and my experiences with compatibility of Micro SD cards and my collection of Mobius.

Turns out what the solution was for me, wasn't what I expected.

Id run all cards with FAT32 and always used 32GB on FW ranging from the latest to my favorite of FW0.59

My first mobius hated Kingston class 4's and loved a sandisk of the same spec.
My second Mobius liked the kingstons, third hated class 4's but loved class 10's. Now I have 6 Mobius and I was reaching pretty much every connotation of lack of compatibility and FW seemed to make no difference. Older cards were preferred in some Mobius where newer ones of the same spec were fine in others.

My Mobius board version didnt seem to effect the outcome and the realms of reason or logic was going out the window.

Id tried verbatin, transend, sony, kingston and sandisk cards of class 4 to class 10.

Also I had always formatted using the Mobius GUI but experimented with a quick and thorough format on windows 7, 8 and finally 10 with no difference.

I had to compile a spreadsheet and mark each Mobius to what card worked and the board and firmware to see if there was a key to this, there wasn't.

I was on the sandisk website 3 weeks ago and noticed something in the forums and ended up here: www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

The gist of it is "It is strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter instead of formatting utilities provided with operating systems that format various types of storage media. Using generic formatting utilities may result in less than optimal performance for your memory cards.

The SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards have a "Protected Area" on the card for the SD standard's security function. The SD Formatter does not format the "Protected Area". Please use appropriate application software or SD-compatible device that provides SD security function to format the "Protected Area" in the memory card."

So I installed this on my PC and formatted a card. It worked fine in all the mobius that hadnt worked before. This was a sandisk by the way. I know right!

Then I formatted another and another until all 16 were formatted and tested of all brands and class. They all worked formatted on the FAT32 option and were all a 32GB micro sd card.

This is what worked for me. Across V1 to V3 boards and multiple firmware's, powered by battery and supercap, plugged into a car lighter socket or a mains plug.

Im not saying its 100% the answer to everyone's problems, but it solved mine.

So if it helps any of you fellow enthusiasts, my post has been worth it.

If it hasn't, I did try......

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I've been using the SD formatter utility since I read about it in another post a long, long time ago.

Since you have a bunch of Mobius cameras to experiment with, it would be great if you could document similar findings but now using 64GB and 128GB cards.

I've owned five Mobius cameras going back about two years now including the V1/V2/V3 iterations and all of them have been happy with any brand microSD card I've thrown at them (including SanDisk), all using the in camera format via the GUI method. All were 32GB 0r 64GB class 10s of different types. (One SanDisk card failed after heavy long term use.)

Following this thread with great interest as i too have had some issues with new V3 & old cards previously used in V1 s.

Back