Micro SD Card & Sharpness question

SR45

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does it matter in the slightest in what micro SD card one uses for this dash cam as far as sharpness or clarity? Just had to ask. I’m using one of Blackvue micro cards, but I also have one of the Transcend high endurance cards.

Thank you.

Does it matter in the slightest in what micro SD card one uses for this dash cam as far as sharpness or clarity? Just had to ask. I’m using one of Blackvue micro cards, but I also have one of the Transcend high endurance cards.

Thank you.

it will either work or not, won't impact the image quality

Many thanks

My DR900S is being delivered soon. I'll use the included 16GB SD card at first but want to get a larger one. Which brands/types are people successfully using with their DR900s, i.e., generic or high endurance or Blackvue?

I noticed the Amazon 3-star review complaining about generic SanDisk and Samsung SD cards not working for him. The official Blackvue 128GB cards are not much more than the "high endurance" Samsung, but for 64GB there's a bit of a price differential so I'm tempted to first try my luck with the SanDisk high endurance 64GB ($30 vs. $70). But if Blackvue cards are really all that great (even though they only warranty them for 6 months!) then I'll just go with them.

it's not about Blackvue cards being great, it's only about being compatible, they lock the firmware down to their cards so any other cards that work are more about good luck than anything else

it's not about Blackvue cards being great, it's only about being compatible, they lock the firmware down to their cards so any other cards that work are more about good luck than anything else

Though it looks like some people have had some success with non-Blackvue cards so is it verified that they're locked down? BlackboxMyCar said they used SanDisk Ultra A1 here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blackvue-dr900s-2ch.31489/post-399464, another member is using a Lexar card here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a-shiny-new-camera.34482/post-408983

Last edited:
Though it looks like some people have had some success with non-Blackvue cards so is it verified that they're locked down? BlackboxMyCar said they used SanDisk Ultra A1 here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blackvue-dr900s-2ch.31489/post-399464

part of the challenge is someone will say a particular card works for them and you can buy the same model and still have problems, the controller and flash memory used isn't always the same from production to production with memory cards so you can still have issues

Hi all, I came across a comparison video between the 650s and 900s on youTube. In the video, the guy said that he had success using a Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select in his 650s and it also worked well in his 950s.

I bought one from Amazon and after many different trials with other Samsung and Delkin cards (i could have bought a BlackVue 128bg card by now) I am happy to say that I have has success with the 128gb Samsung. So far, (1 week (June 2018)) the card has not been rejected.

Amazon link to card https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP

Review Video that i watched

part of the challenge is someone will say a particular card works for them and you can buy the same model and still have problems, the controller and flash memory used isn't always the same from production to production with memory cards so you can still have issues

I bought one from Amazon and after many different trials with other Samsung and Delkin cards (i could have bought a BlackVue 128bg card by now) I am happy to say that I have has success with the 128gb Samsung. So far, (1 week (June 2018)) the card has not been rejected.

Amazon link to card https://www.amazon.com/gp/B06XWZWYVP

Oops, jokiin is correct about the same model card working for some but not others. I purchased that exact Samsung 128GB card from Amazon (Prime same-day delivery is extremely gratifying) yet my 900S won't accept it. At startup I just hear "check SD card" over and over. I tried removing and reinserting the card a few times but no success. Very ungratifying.

Oh well, overpriced BlackVue card here I come...

If it's like my 550, once it says 'Check SD card' there is F all you can do about it on the cam. Can't even format it. You need to 'fix' it on a PC.

Reformat in camera ?

Thank you, that was it! The card works after I used a PC and 3rd-party app to reformat to FAT32/64MB, like the included BlackVue card. After I did that the camera powers up and reformats the card, then records normally.

Last edited:
I can also confirm that SanDisk Ultra A1 (128 GB) works on my DR900S without any issue.

Warranty void if used in dashcam .

If I buy BlackVue dr900s-1ch 16 GB that has 16 GB sd card, will I be able to remove 16gb card and put my own 128gb card ?
I ask cause at my vendor, BlackVue dr900s-1ch 16 GB cost 300 € and 128 GB version cost 480 €
Any u3 128gb sD CARD will work in blackvue ? Otherwise I will need to buy blackvue 750 64 GB that cost 300 €
Thanks

they are very fussy as to which cards they will work with, a bit of a gamble when it comes to other cards unfortunately

If I buy BlackVue dr900s-1ch 16 GB that has 16 GB sd card, will I be able to remove 16gb card and put my own 128gb card ?
Yes, but have you read the stuff about the poor low light performance (compared with the 750), overheating and WiFi issues on the 900?
If not, I would suggest that you do so before committing. I am feeling rather smug that I bought a 750 2C and have stuck a 128Gb card in it.

thanks so I will head to 750 that cost less

sorry my english is not good, did you say that I can use 128GB card also on blackvue 750 64gb ?

thanks

I have a Samsung 128 Evo plus in my 750 which works just fine, as it did in my 550.
There is a school of thought that says to use a 'high endurance' SD cards, and if my card develops problems, that's what I will go for next, but they are quire a bit more expensive.

The use of high endurance cards is real .. I have one on order. But you can decide .. replace a cheaper card several times or buy a better card. It is not about anything other than the memory technology used in those cards.

Back