MICRO SD CARD Standards Reference

Mineshaft

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3 c/w GPS/CPL
I notice there is always a never ending discussion regarding the performance of micro sdcards.
There are many brands and types of sdcards out there and selection can be confusing to some of us.
Perhaps the link below might help someone to select the correct type of micro sdcard to match their dash cam.

The symbols on the sd card help to distinguish the sdcard specifications.

Yes this is common knowlege, well at least for people that use memory cards, like photographers / video makers, ASO
These are just the defining basics, and even if your dashcam maker say a U1 / V10 card is fine, that do not mean every memory card with even higher specs will work in it too.

What it most often boil down to is the controller used on the memory card, and not so much the general speed catagory of a memory card.

I have myself had simple 1 channel cameras that at best had a write speed of 5 MB/s, and still it would not work with a 30 MB/s specked card, but a 45 MB/s card was fine.

Thankfully most dashcams seem to be okay with most memory cards, and only a select few brands go out of their way ( well it feel that way to me ) to make it so only their own branded cards work.

When I was purchasing my previous A119 V2 in 2017 the chart was very helpful in selecting the appropriate sdcard.
I've never had any sdcard or performance issues and the transition to my new A119 V3 has been perfect.
I knew exactly what i wanted when I walked into the computer store.

Back