MicroSD card for A129 Pro?

slicendice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of getting a 256GB card for this - wondering about a Samsung EVO Plus 256GB. Anyone used one of these for a 4K cam? Any good?

The Samsung EVO range has served me well and not let me down. I have not try the 256GB but can vouch for the 128GB SD-card.

There have been reports of some user having problems with SanDisk with dashcams, so choose with caution.

what would you recommend?
the two problems with Sandisk cards are mostly price related, the entry level ultra series are not suitable for dashcam use, people buy them because they are the cheapest option, the second problem is fake cards, people get sucked into buying fake product due to pricing, don't buy the entry level model and buy from a reputable source so you don't get a fake and Sandisk are a good option

Reactions: Mtz
WD Purple is pretty cheap and it's rated for 24/7 surveillance purposes. (works perfectly fine in A129 Pro)

Is Amazon the best source for these (for WD Purple 256gb, 3rd party through Amazon) or does someone have a better source?

The sandisk is dispatched now. Not sure if I should return it....:unsure:

If you bought from Amazon there should be no problems returning with in a month of receiving it, give you chance to try it.

If you bought from Amazon there should be no problems returning with in a month of receiving it, give you chance to try it.
Cheers I'll give it a go. It is the extreme version so hopefully OK. The pro does get very hot is it normal.

Cheers I'll give it a go. It is the extreme version so hopefully OK. The pro does get very hot is it normal.
It is normal for the Pro to feel very warm. If it really gets too hot then it will shut down and cool down, but there is no chance of that happening in the UK at the moment!

So what’s the verdict on 256GB SD cards for the 129 Pro for recording in maximum bitrate?

So far mentioned:
  • Samsung EVO Plus (Samsung states "Limited 10 year warranty. * Warranty does not extend to dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive uses.")
  • SanDisk – Not keen on these due to possible problems in dashcams
  • WD Purple – surveillance and dashcam approved / endurance range (model WDD256G1P0A) - warrantied for 2 years or up to 256 terabytes written under dashcam usage.
I like the Samsung Endurance Pro range, been running for 10 months in my A119 Pro without any issues whatsoever however they max out at 128GB (MB-MJ128GA/APC) and I feel I need a minimum of 256GB in a 129 Pro.

From the specs it looks like the WD Purple SD card is a step better again eg. Class U3/V30 vs Samsung Endurance Pro Class 10 (V class not mentioned).
WD claims ‘Sequential Write Performance’ can reach up to 60 MB/s vs Samsung’s 30 MB/s even though this contradicts the class specs where WD is U3/V30 = 30MB/s and Samsung is Class 10 = U1/V10 - 10MB/s. Marketing nonsense at Samsung/WD?

Samsung offers 5 year warranty vs 2 years on the WD card strangely. Both deal with -25°C to 85°C (-13°F to 185°F) operating or -40°C to 85°C (-40°F to 185°F) non-operating.

Looks like for a certified dashcam card the WD Purple is the way to go perhaps at 256GB?

In Australia the 256GB WD Purple (WDD256G1P0A) goes for about $160AUD from reputable online computer stores where as a 512GB Samsung Evo Plus (U3, class 10) goes for $185AUD.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'd been eyeing up the Endurance Pro but, like you, I'd want at least 256GB for a 4k cam as well.

On paper I reckon the WD looks like a good option...the specs on paper look good and the price isn't bad either. I've no experience with WD cards but the fact it specifically mentions dashcam usage is good.

Back