MicroSD card stuck in device and card full error

rocknslope

Reaction score
Country
Australia
With a brand new SG9665GC which came with a Kingston 32GB microSD card, I decided to use a 64GB microSD XC on the device that I had lying around.

Having tested the camera with the original Kingston microSD card to make sure everything works, I swapped it over with the Samsung microSD card. This is where the troubles started.

'Card full' and 'Card error' messages in blue pop up on start up. Going into menu and formatting the card, the device ends up freezing. I tried this several times with the same result.

Attempting to press out the card, it ended up stuck in the device. I eventually used tweezers to pull it out.

I put the original Kingston card in the device and it easily clicked in and out with no issue.
I tried putting in the Samsung card and it got stuck each time.
It's very difficult to tell, but I have a suspicion that the Samsung card is slightly thicker than it should be.

Also with the formatting issues, I would recommend avoiding Samsung EVO microSD cards.

Attachments

• MicroSd card 1.jpg
    MicroSd card 1.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 30
Card full / error is normal when inserting 64GB or larger. You need to format at least once in camera so it's converted from factory ExFAT to FAT32. See the following video.

Eject the card so it's still partially inserted into the camera. Rock it back and forth and it should free up the slot for good for thicker cards.

That program doesn't work in Windows 10 unfortunately

OP didn't mentioned what OS he has.
If he has win10, then we will figure out something else.

Very good, but there is no need to use the PC to format large cards FAT32 any more. Formatting in the PC first would get around the error message quicker though so you can re-format it a 2nd time in the camera. It's important to format in the camera and record after that.

For anyone new reading here, latest GC firmware supports and formats cards up to 200GB. (see video)

I have attempted to format the Samsung card in the camera but the device freezes each time.
My OS is Windows 8. Need to make a backup before taking up the free Win10 upgrade.
Using the smart disk fat 32, the microSD card now freezes my computer. I think the card is now corrupted.

On the plus side, I rocked the card back and forth in the slot like Pier28 suggested, and it clicks in and out now... but its corrupted lol.

Format the card in Windows 8 using Regular explorer standard exFAT. That should flush out the stuck condition that will not allow the GC to fully boot. Once it's formatted in Windows re-insert into the camera and try again. It should boot. Get past the card error to the menu. Format

it will trip up when the card is first inserted as the camera is trying to write to an unsupported file system, will take a bit of button pressing to overcome that and get ito the menu, once you do you'll be able to format and from that point on it's good to go and will reformat without issue

as @Pier28 mentioned do a full format back to standard exFAT format in your computer and then do it in the camera, it will behave as per the video above when doing the format the first time

is there a way to detect a not properly formatted card then put up on screen a question asking if you want to format the card??

I would recommend avoiding Samsung EVO microSD cards.

Looking at the picture, it seems to me, you have purchased a counterfeit Samsung.
At the end of the original card faces - white.
Sorry for the Google translation.

Attachments

• Снимок 3.JPG
    Снимок 3.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back