MicroSD options, including MLC cards

Does anyone know if the Sandisk Extreme pro 128gb cards use MLC or TLC?

Well a 128gb extreme pro is the same price as 64gb transcend high endurance in my country so I'm looking at my options for mlc based cards

Thanks for sharing! A dashcam manufacturer's experience is valuable. The 400x are good cards for those looking to save a few bucks, as you get a quality card at an affordable price. But their lifetime warranty is void the moment you put it in your dash cam, and it's TLC planar NAND with no provision for endurance. ECC is a fantastic feature, but I'd rather start with an inherently more reliable design and then add ECC to that.

Yeah, I know, you can get a 128GB Transcend 400x for the same price as their 64GB High Endurance. If you went the 400x route I'd definitely recommend going for the larger capacity. But for the same money I'd rather have the 64GB MLC high endurance option. I want my dashcam to be as set and forget as it can possibly be, and the extra peace of mind would be worth having "only" about 10 hours of video on the card. And if for some reason over the next couple of years I ever have a problem, I know there will be no trouble with the warranty. I have a feeling it wouldn't be hard to get one of their 400x (or 633x) cards replaced under warranty, either. But I'm a believer in using the right tool for the job.

I'm really hoping Samsung's V-NAND microSD cards end up being as solid and long-lived in practice as they should be in theory. That would mean a fantastic new option with massive capacity and inherent endurance and more speed than you could possibly need in any dashcam for the foreseeable future.

By the way, if anyone knows of any other options for High Endurance MLC NAND with ECC at 64GB for a reasonable price, I'd love to add it to the list. I can't seem to find anything other than Transcend.

Just noticed your avatar

498C2695-384F-41EC-9A16-D0B9F658CDE2.jpeg
I think we have his little brother :)

Not being uber technical.
I bought two “Samsung Pro Plus” ( according to Samsung this is the newer version of the “Pro +”
They got very coy about if this was an MLC card.
It has a read of 100MB/s and a Write of 95MB/s , Class 10 UHS-1, U3 and a 10 year Guarrantee.
I went for the 64GB version ... pretty much my budget max. As my camera is 1,440p 30/60 fps HDR ( apparrently merged??) so I assumed a reasonable bit rate.

They work well on front and back camera (both Vico MF3).

Just interested as they were bought in a rush ( from Samsungs prefferred reseller ) £32 each.
I was going to get the Samsung EVO plus at £19 but that has a write speed of 60 MBs.( thinking of one day have a decent 4K 60fps camera.)

Are these good dashcam cards?
Are they MLC as some say?

I probably wasted £12 a card, due to lack of research time, so overdid the future-proofing? Should have analysed a vid from this camera ... but heck you need a card to do that in the first place.

Note
I do use 4 Samsung Pro SSDs as “interim” back up drives on my Uber fast xenon CPU, NVME SSD based photography server. And they touch wood havent failed over the last year.

Last edited:
Not being uber technical.
I bought two “Samsung Pro Plus” ( according to Samsung this is the newer version of the “Pro +”
They got very coy about if this was an MLC card.
It has a read of 100MB/s and a Write of 95MB/s , Class 10 UHS-1, U3 and a 10 year Guarrantee.
I went for the 64GB version ... pretty much my budget max. As my camera is 1,440p 30/60 fps HDR ( apparrently merged??) so I assumed a reasonable bit rate.

They work well on front and back camera (both Vico MF3).

Just interested as they were bought in a rush ( from Samsungs prefferred reseller ) £32 each.
I was going to get the Samsung EVO plus at £19 but that has a write speed of 60 MBs.( thinking of one day have a decent 4K 60fps camera.)

Are these good dashcam cards?
Are they MLC as some say?

I probably wasted £12 a card, due to lack of research time, so overdid the future-proofing? Should have analysed a vid from this camera ... but heck you need a card to do that in the first place.

Note
I do use 4 Samsung Pro SSDs as “interim” back up drives on my Uber fast xenon CPU, NVME SSD based photography server. And they touch wood havent failed over the last year.
Samsung Pro used to be MLC, possibly the 64GB still are, but I suspect the latest ones aren't, however it doesn't really matter as long as they provide over 2x the lifetime of an Evo like they used to do. The latest 3D NAND can use far larger cells than previous 2D memory of the same capacity since they can stack maybe 64 cells on top of each other, the larger the cells the better the lifetime and reliability, they don't necessarily need to use MLC to get the lifespan and reliability required of a Pro.

The Pro will still be a good buy if you use it enough to wear out an EVO, if you only record 30 minutes per day then an EVO would easy last 10 years, if you are recording 24/7 then the Pro is definitely a good choice.

"I do use 4 Samsung Pro SSDs as “interim” back up drives"
Note that you shouldn't use flash memory for long term backups, especially if the drive is not often powered up, flash memory looses it's image given enough time.

Samsung Pro used to be MLC, possibly the 64GB still are, but I suspect the latest ones aren't, however it doesn't really matter as long as they provide over 2x the lifetime of an Evo like they used to do. The latest 3D NAND can use far larger cells than previous 2D memory of the same capacity since they can stack maybe 64 cells on top of each other, the larger the cells the better the lifetime and reliability, they don't necessarily need to use MLC to get the lifespan and reliability required of a Pro.

The Pro will still be a good buy if you use it enough to wear out an EVO, if you only record 30 minutes per day then an EVO would easy last 10 years, if you are recording 24/7 then the Pro is definitely a good choice.

"I do use 4 Samsung Pro SSDs as “interim” back up drives"
Note that you shouldn't use flash memory for long term backups, especially if the drive is not often powered up, flash memory looses it's image given enough time.

Thanks Nigel
Good to learn, one of the reasons I went for the Pro was I may use the cams in running mode for Parking surveillance especially when we are building the new house with constant deliveries .. lorries etc.

Appreciate the heads up on long term storage.
I basically download a days shooting to the 400GB Intel 750 PCIe NVMe drive from CF cards 2,200 MB/s. Then I copy a set to the Samsung Pro SSDs (monitoring that till completed hence the requirement for a fast download) once that has finished, I then start to copy from the Intel 750 to those big internal 3.5” drive thingies, think they are called NAS drives? At 6GB/s .... that takes time with a 130MB per image camera! So I just leave it, and next time I go to the computer, I just check the SSD size is the same as the NAS size, and a few randomly selected images open. Then I delete the previous shoot from the Intel 750. This keeps it pretty empty because its my Windows 10 drive ... and still boots up completely in circa 10 secs.
Basic idea is I always have a verified copy to the Intel NVME and the SSD, and then to the NAS. And I leave the current shoot on the Intel NVME till they are edited.
So old stuff is ... at least one copy on the SSD and one copy on the NAS.
I do have a bunch of WD Passports, and put a copy on those for chucking in the safe. But honestly I am a bit lax about that. Except for exceptional shoots with say a luxury yacht, historic castle or something special.

One day I intend to make a second copy on the other NAS 8 TBs, probably the day I have lost one LOL :)
I guess its a balance, between the cost of all this storage, and the time doing it. And getting on with real life!

But yes you are so right ... I did learn the hard way. A blown out CF card, that one could check images as you go, but at the end of the day, could not open the CF card! All unrecoverable, even paid £290 for the data recovery boys ... but nada.
Now I Always make sure the camera has a second SD card in that slot.

High Endurance cards are covered for warranty in dashcams
I sent this question to chat asking if the High Endurance card was MLC or TLC and they answered that they don't disclose such information to retail customers.
sandisk.PNG

Last edited:
The companies are super secretive about this.

1. The average consumers doesn't know the difference.
2. For those who actually do inquire, not telling lets them get away with putting TLC in the high-endurance cards. Cheaper for them, you still pay the premium, but if the warranty is better and they cover it, great? But at the risk of a higher chance of card corruption.

As this thread has said before, if they don't say outright on the packaging that it's MLC, it's probably TLC.

When I bought my DR500GW, the shop sold me a 32GB card. He just walked to a shelf and gave it to me. Later on I saw that it was a class 4. They are obviously clueless.
When i bought the 750S 2 weeks ago, they tried to sell me a 128 GB Samsung Evo.

Last edited:
Is the Transcend High Endurance 64 GB still the most recommended micro SD card here?

Back