Midland GXT Two Way Radios causing DashCam issues.

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
So earlier this week I bought a pair of Midland GXT1000VP4 two way radios. They were on sale, and i figured that they would be useful for when my brother and I go to car shows in case we get into traffic on the way to and from events or we go to a show in an area we have never been and need to stay in touch.

Anyhow he called and said something was wrong with the project car we are working on and asked me to come down and fallow him home from work in case something happened. I figured we would test the radios out in case we got separated between traffic and stop lights.

So a few cars got between us, and i did get stuck at a red light that he made it though. I go to key up to let him know i got the light and as i go to talk my Vico TF2 turns it self off. I thought maybe I some how bumped the plug, but the green indicator light is on. I go to key up again and the TF2 turns off.

So we get back home. I go through a few channels on the radio and the same thing happens again. Key up to talk TF2 goes off. Let go of PTT and TF2 comes back on. I'm not the most technical person so I am not sure what is going on, and the Vico TF2 does not have any GPS or WiFi that would cause problems.

So I am wondering I know that the DVR-027 has caused FM radio issues and people have mentioned GPS issues with other model cameras I believe. Does anyone know what might be going on here? When i go to car shows I'll be in the Camaro and i defiantly can not have the camera turning it self off and on when I try to use the radio.

Secondly I am thinking about installing a CB radio in my other car. (Stock/Barefoot again not to familiar with all that tuning up type stuff) Does anyone run a CB radio and DashCam? Has anyone had any issues?

Like most cheap electronics today theres virtually no RF screening incorporated within our devices hence the problems you are experiencing at close proximity - I believe the transmissions are in the UHF band with a fixed antenna, using a external antenna would no doubt resolve your problem but probably not an alternative due to Radio licensing restrictions.
Basically your cam is being RF swamped (induced magnetic waves becoming rectified DC within. ) also the RF could be blocking the cams Crystal oscillator causing the shutdown.
Only solution being external Antenna as said. (I can run 35 Watts without a problem) G8MCZ

Last edited:
I believe the transmissions are in the UHF band with a fixed antenna, using a external antenna would no doubt resolve your problem but probably not an alternative due to Radio licensing restrictions.
Yeah. The radios use the The Family Radio Service frequencies witch are license free. The antennas are fixed and unswap-able. I've read up a little bit on getting a HAM license but want to learn a little more using a CB first since it is also license free. I've used a CB off and on a little before, but this time i want to get something decent and make sure i set it up correctly.
is the CB radio wired to the vehicle, if so where is it connected?
The CB radio is a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB. it will be mounted in my vehicle in the empty space between the seats seen in my WF1 reset video and hooked up to a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna. I'm working on getting a custom console fabricated that will sit in the empty area and house the radio as well as holding something like this because the console will sit against my two stock cigarette lighters.

Yeah. The radios use the The Family Radio Service frequencies witch are license free. The antennas are fixed and unswap-able. I've read up a little bit on getting a HAM license but want to learn a little more using a CB first since it is also license free. I've used a CB off and on a little before, but this time i want to get something decent and make sure i set it up correctly.

The CB radio is a Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB. it will be mounted in my vehicle in the empty space between the seats seen in my WF1 reset video and hooked up to a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna. I'm working on getting a custom console fabricated that will sit in the empty area and house the radio as well as holding something like this because the console will sit against my two stock cigarette lighters.

Not to familiar with CB Radios but using FM as opposed to SSB would be less likely a problem RF wise - some CBs in the UK had both ( it was illegal though ).

Not to familiar with CB Radios but using FM as opposed to SSB would be less likely a problem RF wise - some CBs in the UK had both ( it was illegal though ).
Nicer model CBs here stock have AM at 4 watts and SSB at 12 wats. Cheaper ones only have AM. When i first gave it a shot a few years ago I had some old RadioShack AM only model that i picked up from a car part swap meet hooked up to a Wilson Little Will

sorry, the Midland radio I meant, is it hard wired to the vehicle?
The Midland no. It's just a small handheld radio that runs on a rechargeable battery pack that i had tossed in my cup holder
sqtj6v.jpg

Is the kit i bought.

This is what is going to be wired into my vehicle as soon as my console is done, but it is not in yet it's just sitting in my kitchen right now.
w840nd.jpg

Going to be hooked up to this placed on the roof of my other vehicle. (my Camaro is a Glass top and i don't want to scratch up the t bar roof frame)
21lrfo5.jpg

Last edited:
ok, I wasn't sure what the product was, must be pumping out some RF to cause the problem, can't say I've ever seen this issue but I'd have to think it's the Midland at fault, does changing the channel make any difference, do both units cause the same problem?

does changing the channel make any difference
No i tried three or so different channels with the same result

do both units cause the same problem?
The one i had in my car while we were driving seemed to do it the second I hit the Push to Talk button when we got back and he gave me the one he had in his car it did it after I held down the button for about two seconds.

I had completely forgot about RF interference. I was a little worried at first because i thought something had happened to the camera.

an unusual problem, do you know what frequency they run on?
The Midland handheld radios i bought have 50 select-able channels Here is a link to a list of all 50 channels and their frequencies
FRS/GMRS combined channel chart

Just for reference....
Here are the frequencies of the USA CB Radio channel plan
Here are the frequencies of the AUS UHF CB Radio channel plan
Here are the frequencies of the UK CB Radio channel plan
Hopefully the CB won't be an issue since the antenna will be on the roof

Your CB might be ok with the antenna on the roof. First of all the roof will provide some shielding and the wave for (or whatever they call it off that antenna is not a sphere around the base of it.

I wonder what it would take to screen/shield your dash cam? It might be as simple as a course wire mesh around some of it. Could fit it closely to the cam and paint it black. :) Walkies are ideal for multi vehicle road trips and groups of people at shows.

Note: I know virtually nothing about RF. I drove a semi for years and slept at many Holiday Expresses. (lol, moderate linear amplifier and tweaked CB that would go down to the really low frequencies)

Back in the days of the 4 MHz Z-80s and Apple-IIs, the harmonics were too low to interfere with FRS (Family Radio Service) Radios. Not that the FRS existed back then. They operate in the 462 --> 467 MHz range and use FM to help reduce interference. However, today's very fast processors will generate RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) way up in frequency, well into the GHz range.

CB Radios operate in the 26 MHz range and use AM. AM is VERY sensitive to interference and is the worst choice when you have RFI.

About the only thing you can do is to wrap the Car Cam in metal foil and ground the foil to the metal of the car, that may help.

About the only thing you can do is to wrap the Car Cam in metal foil and ground the foil to the metal of the car, that may help.
The custom console that is being fabricated is part wood and part metal in the casing. The friend that is finishing it up said they could ether do a wooden or metal face plate.
Would using a metal face plate instead of wood to cover the gaps between the CB Radio, cigarette lighter plugs, and anything else i throw in help at all or does it not matter because the coax cable is already shielded as it caries the signal to the antenna on the roof?

Secondly I am thinking about installing a CB radio in my other car. (Stock/Barefoot again not to familiar with all that tuning up type stuff) Does anyone run a CB radio and DashCam? Has anyone had any issues?
Hey there, I run AM CB and UHF CB, both scanning all day (and transmitting occasionally). No issues thus far with either G1W's or DVR-027s! Both are in VERY close proximity. However I do run external antenna for both radios.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have all the pieces coming together.
I hope to have everything finished before Christmas, but we will see what happens.

You have not had any vehicle power issues with your battery or alternator adimw? Running two radios and a DashCam? I'm guessing your alternator is stock?

Thanks Again

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah bud stock alternator (Nissan Safari GQ Y60) 24v setup. 12v via reducer to front camera (which also powers radios) and 24v to rear cam.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Dash Cam Discussion 1
Back