Military Installations

Discussion in 'Legal Questions' started by almnd11, Jun 24, 2017.

1. almnd11

almnd11 New Member

United States
    I work on an US Army Post and was considering getting a dashcam. There are plenty of signs posted regarding prohibition of radar detectors, use of cell phone while driving (unless its hands free), use of headphones/earbuds while driving/running/walking, etc. However, there is nothing stating no dashcams or cameras (most folks who work on the post have cell phones with cameras that they are permitted to have on their person). When I asked the provost marshal they stated they were not allowed but could not point to any regulation or law (I suspect it is a case of an overzealous cop stating his preference rather than being able to cite something that would stand up in court). I have searched the traffic laws/regulations for military installations and have not found anything that would expressly prohibit the use of a dashcam. So my question is Does anyone know of any federal laws that prohibit use of a dashcam on military installations? Is there anyone here that has a dashcam and also works on/visits a military installation and do you have any issues with having to remove it before driving on the installation?

2. DT MI

DT MI Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    SG9665GC(2 V1, 1 V2), Spytec A118-C(2), G1W-H, CF-100
    My suspicion is that it would be dependent on the specific military installation (or a specific area within). I seriously doubt there would be an issue with a recruiting station but a missile launch site would be a totally different matter. There may not be a law or regulation - just local policy.

3. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S
    I living next to Pentagon, some places there got a no photo sign and its next to pentagon memorialo_O.
    just google "pentagon memorial" and you will million of hit under image.
    Even google car have been on the public road around pentagon and nothing is blur.

4. tabetha

tabetha Active Member

United Kingdom
    I think to quote my mate bucky, or to give him his proper title COLONEL BUCKENMEYER he says it is more to do with intent, I am around bases english and english/us they are not really bothered about filming depending on what you intend to do with it, unless you are trying to or accidentally film something sensitive there won't be a problem I know a pillock who walked into a workshop(propulsion) where there was a sensitive aircraft, I only went in to steal some cookies before the other GI's got them all baked by a GI's wife(my mates) god they were nice, came out of office stuffing my face to have a M4 pointing at me, he thought I was intruder but took some cookies himself!!
    Surely they have a law and order desk there ? you could ask there

5. Rajagra

Rajagra Well-Known Member

United Kingdom
    Dash Cam:
    Mini0806
    [​IMG]

ManualsAreFun likes this.
  6. Yooshaw

Yooshaw Active Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    2x Mobius, 2 x SG9665GC, 2 x A119S
    I'm Army currently working at an Air Force Base. I never thought much of it, until a gate guard harassed my wife about while coming on base.

The conversation went:

Guard: is that a camera? Your not allowed to have that.

Wife: It's a dashcam and it records all the time, mainly to record traffic incidents for insurance or law enforcement purposes.

Guard: OK, still not allowed on base.

Wife: What regulation covers that, I'm not aware of any prohibiting dascams.

Guard: Don't know.

That was a year and a half ago and my wife and I are running dashcams still and no other gate guard has ever said a word.

That said, I make sure not to post any video around the gates.

7. SawMaster

SawMaster Well-Known Member

United States
    Dash Cam:
    Mobius, G1W-S, G1W-HC, WR-1, G1W clone, and more to come!
    If it's US Military there is sure to be a rule somewhere covering it. Only the IRS has more rules covering more things in detail than the US Military :p

I'd explain why I was asking, then request that the Provost Marshal have someone look into the matter to get you a definitive answer which could be made known to the ever-increasing numbers of dashcam owners on bases everywhere who simply want to follow regulations and avoid problems ;) That approach should get you a definitive answer eventually. In the meantime I'd remove the cam and put it in the dash or car trunk before entering the gates as the best way to avoid the issue.

Just a 'military brat' here with numerous family members having served our country from it's beginning till about 20 years ago including a recipient of the Navy Cross (insert waving US flag icon here).

Phil

ManualsAreFun likes this.
  8. tabetha

tabetha Active Member

United Kingdom
    I asked bucky about this and he has viewed this thread, he said BOLLOCKS, he said he wouldn't have a problem so long as footage was taken from in car and not in any sensitive area, he only ever had problems with "over sensitive" Mexican Home Guard he uses dash cams in all his cars, the only place he has ever taken it down is Whitesands NM, but that is sensitive being a missile training range. He admitted there IS a regulation that covers it but said just like there is with what your wipe your fanny with, too fkin many regs he said ha ha.

9. almnd11

almnd11 New Member

United States
    Thanks for all the replies. None of the individuals at the PMO could point to a policy or regulation that covers this restriction but were still indicating that recording video on post without prior approval was prohibited. My A119S came in (specifically got this because I can easily remove it from the GPS mount if the gate guards make having it on post an issue) and I will be installing it over the weekend.

10. almnd11

almnd11 New Member

United States
    As an update- I installed the Viofo 119s and have driven on post all week with no problem. It may be that because it is pretty stealthy it hasnt been noticed. Regardless, it hasnt been an issue yet.

11. tabetha

tabetha Active Member

United Kingdom
    As with all things military never admit anything, always deny every thing, never volunteer and say you weren't there when things go wrong, a Colonel told me that ha ha, he lives by it