Mini 0801 file naming

Chode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mini 0801 running as a rear cam, non-GPS 8GB model. Firmware v. 20140821

Everything is fine, including my own magnetic mount, which I'm rather pleased about, however there's a small, not even a problem, just a little niggle: file naming.

It always starts from 0001, every time I insert a freshly emptied card, so I get AMBA0001.MOV etc, etc.

Is it possible to set the cam so that it either keeps continuous numbering, or, better still, appends the date to the file name? And maybe an hour? ;)

That would make it so much easier - something like AMBA20150119070001.MOV (for 7am today) or even 15011901.MOV if it must adhere to 8.3 convention?

If you don't delete the old files then it will keep counting up,

If you are deleting them so that you don't have to copy them again then use a copy which only copies new files.

The files do have the date and time stored in the creation date property so you could do an automated rename to the format you have requested, maybe as part of a batch file to copy them.

Thanks jokiin ... I suspected that might be the answer.
Well, sorting by date, before moving into dedicated folders it is then :rolleyes:
Luckily it's only a rear cam and most of the time I do not bother to back it up ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, sorting by date, before moving into dedicated folders it is then :rolleyes:
If your using Windows then have a look at "robocopy /?" (from the command prompt) - you can set it up in a batch file in the root folder of your card to just copy all the new files to a hard drive or whatever.

I have a renaming script a customer wrote once for one of our old cameras that might work for you, will dig it out and have a look

I have a renaming script a customer wrote once for one of our old cameras that might work for you, will dig it out and have a look

If your using Windows then have a look at "robocopy /?" (from the command prompt) - you can set it up in a batch file in the root folder of your card to just copy all the new files to a hard drive or whatever.
Cheers mate, but no, I don't use Windows. I'm alright with CLI and Automator, was just looking for an easy (as in lazy) option ;)

Cheers mate, but no, I don't use Windows. I'm alright with CLI and Automator, was just looking for an easy (as in lazy) option ;)

the easy option is a proper naming convention, the 0801 is built on a very old SDK though so it won't happen

the source might help you to apply to your situation if not workable as is, I haven't tried it for a very long time but it might at least get you off in the right direction

the easy option is a proper naming convention, the 0801 is built on a very old SDK though so it won't happen
At least I now have an extra question to ask, before deciding on an upgrade for my rear dashcam LOL

Back