Mini 0801 vs 808 DR32 - which one is a better dash cam?

T

twoscoops

I think I have narrowed down my search to two dash cams: Mini 0801 or the 808 DR32.

I would appreciate any advice on which one to go with..... I can't seem to make up my mind.

Thanks! :D

My vote is for the Mini 0801 (just be sure to buy a Class 4 microSD card, don't use Class 10)

Did you watch the TechMoan videos?

REVIEW: Mini DVR 0801 The Smallest 1080p LCD Car Dash Cam with Ambarella A2S60 - Best Mini Car Cam
(note new firmware records in .MOV not .TS any more)

808 # 18 DR32 Car Camera - Demonstration Review

A Beginners Guide to Car Dashcam DVR Cameras

My vote is for the Mini 0801 (just be sure to buy a Class 4 microSD card, don't use Class 10)

Did you watch the TechMoan videos?

Yes... along with about 50+ other videos related two these two cameras on YouTube.
I think the problem is that I watched too many and now I'm confused. :)

I would pick the Mini 0801 due to the better form factor. GPS option is nice as well if you want it.

The 0801 is 1080p I believe. In the video for the 808 #18 the narrator reads 720p off the box. If all else is equal, I'd go with 1080p. Also the smaller size of the 0801 and rounded shape will help in stealthiness of the camera if that's an issue.

The 808 #18 DR32 is 1080p as well.

Why is that Daytime test video a bit dark? It looks as if the Windshield has a slight tint to it. Maybe the sun was behind a cloud.

The only area where the DR32 may edge out the Mini 0801 is in night time recordings. But it's pretty close to my eyes. GPS option makes the 0801 appeal to a wider audience. Overall I would choose the Mini 0801 at this point.

Just adding my take on these two dashcams:
- Mini 0801 only output mono sound through left speaker, sound from right speaker is almost non-existent.
- DR-32 has problem with noisy audio recording (lessened with new firmware but still exist) and the problem with colour smearing.

Jokiin also just let us know that an all new (version 3? not the official name) Mini 0801 is in the works. (same size/case, different upgraded guts) No details are out yet, but apparently the mixed mono problem is fixed for sure. I'm hoping they add WDR. (Wide Dynamic Range) I'm looking forward to learning when the release date is.

This doesn't mean you should wait to buy a DashCam now. Just remember anything you buy is temporary.(months/years) I always keep the original box so I can sell it on eBay when the next best thing comes out. (It almost feels like all my Electronics are "rented") I've learned that the sooner I upgrade certain things, the closer to market value I can re-sell it for on eBay.

But yeah the Current 0801 is the best bang for the buck. Just make sure you use a Class 4 microSD card and it will be rock solid in looped/recycle mode.

Yes, the DR-32 had some noisy audio from the sample clips I've seen. The ones from earlier this year were really bad, but they made some improvement. The 0801 Audio is far from outstanding but it gets the job done.

This doesn't mean you should wait to buy a DashCam now. Just remember anything you buy is temporary.(months/years) .

Exactly! :) Buy the new iPhone 5S today. In 12 months, buy the iPhone 6. 12 months after that, buy the iPhone 6S... so on..... :D :D :D

Back