Mini 0803 capacitor version

Neuralgia

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Hey guys, does any one know if there is a capacitor version of this little guy?

I've googled quite a lot with no results.

D

Thanks, the moderators can close this thread.

Sorry by my ignorance, but which is the difference in using a capacitor instead the lithium battery?

Sorry by my ignorance, but which is the difference in using a capacitor instead the lithium battery?
It's a lot safer to use a capacitor. Batteries can swell and in rare cases explode and having them always charging because a DashCam needs constant power makes them generate extra heat.

Battery will balloon up/leak due to the green house heat trap of a car over time. The battery is only meant to last a few minutes anyway. A capacitor is very high heat resistant.

The reason for either, is to gracefully close/write the last file should you get in an accident and suddenly lose power. (or else last file will be corrupted)

I live in Phoenix. It's hot here. 120 is the hottest I've felt since I've lived here. This city should not exist. It is a monument to man's arrogance. So I'm interested in a capacitor version/mod as well. I just installed my 0803 a couple months ago when it was still triple digits regularly, but I always park in the shade or in my garage. My AC blows strong and cold and my vents are always pointed up so the 0803 gets plenty of airflow. So far my 0803 hasn't ever felt warm to the touch. But I figure it's only a matter of time before the battery wears out or blows. So far, so good though!

OK all I think I have a working prototype! :D
I say I "think" and call it a "prototype" since I have only done limited bench testing but it does work. Below are the details.

Mods required....
1. Must relocate the speaker. I placed mine on the top of the Micro SD slot. It's still plenty loud.
2. Must be willing to grind away the speaker mount in the case.
3. Must be willing to grind away some of the case itself to increase the width (top to bottom) just a hair. I did fine on the bottom but then rushed the top and now have a small 1x2mm slot on the top of the case where I went a little too far. I figure it's just some more cooling. :p

Unknowns....
1. Effects of GPS current draw.
2. Length of clock operation.

Configuration....
Rev1 - For revision one I used two 6F 2.7V Super Caps, Eaton Bussmann P/N: HV0830-2R7605-R, in series to get the voltage required, see picture below. This configuration was hit and miss. It seemed that sometimes the Mini 0803 would shut down OK and other times it lost power right before shutdown. The benefit of this configuration was that I could leave the speaker in place and only needed to notch the corners of the speaker mount to fit the caps. Although in the end it didn't work. :(

IMG_2971.JPG

Rev2 - For revision two I bumped the total farad count to 9F (<- Correction 4.5F not 9F) by adding two more 3F 2.7V Super Caps, Eaton Bussmann P/N: HV0820-2R7305-R. These caps were combined in series to get the voltage required and then placed in parallel to the caps above, see picture below.

IMG_2994.JPG

The drive home today will be the real test since I'm not sure how the extra current draw of the GPS might affect the operation. This is due to the fact that the GPS mount is stuck to my windshield and I've only had time to bench test. ;)
Although I can say in all confidence that if this doesn't work, the only solution would be an externally mounted capacitor since I have literally used all the room available and more.

I will keep you all updated. :)

Last edited:
Wow you really went all out here nice. I'm not sure it will gracefully close the last file dependability without some firmware tweaking. Watching other super cap mod threads this was always the case.

Rev 1 had that problem but Rev 2 seems to close the files fine.... at least on the bench. I really had no choice but to go all out since I have already had two batteries swell on me. Basically without a super cap solution the Mini 0803 is worthless for me.
One things I wish I could mod in the firmware was the display. I have mine set to off in 1 minute although once the power is cut, the display turns on.

Nice! If the Super-caps don't end up working well, why can't you wire the camera with both switched 5V power and constant 5V power?

Houston we have a problem! Well things looked good at first and then it went down hill.
When I first drove home, I am almost certain the 0803 shutdown correctly and I do seem to have the last file. Then I drove five minutes down the street to the store and it did not shutdown properly. :mad: I then did another drive for approximately 30 minutes and again it did not shutdown correctly. Since my commute is only ~20 minutes, I now wonder if it actually shutdown correctly the first time or if by chance I lucked out on timing and it saved the file just before losing power. :confused:

It seems the power draw of the GPS is much more of a factor than I had previously thought. Or maybe something when wrong with my wiring and the 3F caps aren't connected. Needless to say I'm disappointed.

So how would / could we go about getting a firmware edit to do an immediate shutdown. My unit currently takes 12-15 seconds.

Theres a firmware with shutdown delay selectable in menu. We could modify the value of the menusetting to get it close to instant shutdown

Gonna buy some supercaps now :D
Your idea seems great

Do you know which firmware that is? I am currently using the itracker version that has mute functioning.

I'd love to try to mod the firmware.

Im not sure which one but I know theres one

Im not sure which one but I know theres one
Can you just change the default setting even if it doesn't actually appear in the menu thus allowing use of any firmware?

If you mounted the supercaps on the outside of the case, one above and one below the lens, you could have bigger caps so only need two and wouldn't be restricted to those particularly thin ones, you would have no heating problems since they would be in cool outside air, the cameras internal cooling for the processor, lens etc would be better - reduced focus problems in hot conditions and the camera would have a rather interesting look to it once plasticoated or whatever - I think it would look quite good!

Back