Mini 0805 CPL addition - DIY

Harsh

Reaction score
Country
India
Had done this DIY a few months back before the Mini started freezing up and was replaced by the A118C.

Mini 0805 Circular Polariser addition DIY

To get rid of dashboard reflections and glare in the video produced by the Mini 0805, I'd been toying with the idea of adding a Circular Polarising Filter to the Mini for a while.

This is my attempt at attaching a CPL to the Mini 0805.

Items required:

24mm CPL

2X2mm Neodymium magnets

Non-magnetic tweezer

Fast setting instant adhesive - Flex Kwik. Available at hardware stores.

Black spray paint

Steps undertaken to attach a CPL to the Mini 0805

1) Using a non-magnetic tweezer, take one magnet at a time and dip the bottom end in the adhesive, then stick the magnet around the outer rim of the lens, holding each magnet firmly with the tweezer for a few seconds.

After sticking the magnets

mini08051.png

mini08052.png

mini08054.png

Tried using a black marker pen to cover the shine of the magnets but didn't work as intended.

mini08058.png

Spray painted the magnets black after masking the surrounding area and lens.

Masked

mini08051 (1).png

After the first coat

mini08052 (1).png

After the third coat

mini08053 (1).png

Result

mini08054 (1).png

mini08055 (1).png

mini08056.png

The magnets don't shine from any angle.

Don't expect the paint to last on top, where it comes in contact with the CPL, as long as it stays on the sides; that's enough.

Please excuse the excessive use of magnets. The hold is very strong though and the CPL doesn't fall or shift at all.

There is no vignetting using the 24mm CPL.

Anyone using this as a reference should first try 8 magnets total, 2 each at 12, 3,6 and 9 o'clock of the lens's outer rim. Should work well IMO.

This DIY being irreversible, I took a different approach with the A118C, here is a totally reversible CPL addition for the A118C -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a118c-cpl-addition-diy.20005/

Will add videos with and without the CPL under different lighting conditions in the next few days.

Videos with and without the CPL

Without

With

Combined

Your method is an upgrade of my install version... My filter never fall while driving, but hapened to fall while fitting my sunshade on windshileld. There are 39°C in shade, here these days

Wouldn't call it an upgrade. Yours is a lot simpler and neater.

Same filter..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 Eye using Tapatalk

We used same filter, designed for Mini 0806/0826 which have magnetic lens. Mini 0805 doesn't have magnetic lens so we had to improvise something!

Back