Mini 0805 Getting Hot, then Shutting Down

Hardcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an 0805 maybe 3 years ago but never got around to ever using it.
Last week, i dug it out, got it set up, and started to use it for very short local drives and all was working fine.
I then bought a micro USB hard wire kit and fitted it into my car to the camera.
Again, some short local journeys and all is fine.

I took it a long drive last weekend, just over 1 hour and it was fine to the destination. On the way back, i noticed the flashing light was acting erratically. Flashing quickly in blue several times then doing weird cycles then going off with no light at all.
Powered it on and off several times, pulled out the cable put it back in and same result.
I noticed however the camera was abnormally hot. I know they have a reputation for getting hot but the bottom HDMI port was hot enough to burn my skin and the top of the camera was almost hot enough to give me a burn

Got home, checked SD card and all fine. Formatted it, tried it the next day for local journeys and all was fine again.
Went another long journey and again, on route there all was fine. On the way back, same thing happened and again the camera was extremely hot and ambient temp was 20c, and i had air con on. Checked the SD card now i'm home and it's dead. I suspect from exposure to the heat (It's a new legit Kingston one)

Is it possible my camera's internal battery has died from sitting about so long uncharged and now it's getting used it can't cope and is getting so hot it's causing things to corrupt / mess up?

Is it possible for me to remove the battery be unsoldering it, and replacing it with a capacitor instead so that it might run cooler?

I purchased several and all died within months of use. Seems to be a very common problem.

I purchased several and all died within months of use. Seems to be a very common problem.

That's a shame as it's a nice size to stay relatively hidden and the GPS is nice for the price.

Back