Mini 0805 GPS issues

hcanning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My recently-purchased EPrance 0805 works perfectly, aside from the GPS. The little GPS logo is on the screen and usually it has a little red mark in front of it (can't really see if this is supposed to denote radio waves, or a red cross symbol) and it appears not to get a fix - there are no coordinates displayed on the video.

Is there anything I can do to perhaps make it work better? It's sitting right at the top of the windscreen so line of sight shouldn't be an issue.

Is it a Ford windscreen with metallic heater wires blocking the GPS signal?

Yes it's a Ford Mondeo with a heated windscreen. However, I've never had problems with any other GPS devices in this car, my previous Ford, or any other Fords with heated 'screens!

Right at the top, but it's underneath the black dotted sun strip section which probably doesn't help. Oh well :)

Right at the top, but it's underneath the black dotted sun strip section which probably doesn't help. Oh well :)

check your owners manual for the car, they often mention which parts of the windscreen are transparent to the signal

Hi all,

My recently-purchased EPrance 0805 works perfectly, aside from the GPS. The little GPS logo is on the screen and usually it has a little red mark in front of it (can't really see if this is supposed to denote radio waves, or a red cross symbol) and it appears not to get a fix - there are no coordinates displayed on the video.

Is there anything I can do to perhaps make it work better? It's sitting right at the top of the windscreen so line of sight shouldn't be an issue.

Have you checked around for any resolution to this? If not, I'd suggest you read this...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-lock-problem-heated-windscreen-solved.7397/

I hope this one would help you out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have been having the same problem, with an additional misrepresentation of my speed. My camera has been mounted just below the rear-view mirror. In the case of my car (the ST) there seems to be sensors (I guess for the automatic headlights or rain-sensing wipers) which are housed within a plastic shroud behind the mirror. My camera was stuck to this. I have very strange results at times; I was doing over 1000mph in a traffic queue a couple of weeks ago apparently.

I too have been having the same problem, with an additional misrepresentation of my speed. My camera has been mounted just below the rear-view mirror. In the case of my car (the ST) there seems to be sensors (I guess for the automatic headlights or rain-sensing wipers) which are housed within a plastic shroud behind the mirror. My camera was stuck to this. I have very strange results at times; I was doing over 1000mph in a traffic queue a couple of weeks ago apparently.

You did 1000+ mph? Golly! I'd like to have what you are driving! (Just kidding) Could be a firmware issue.

The best place you will get a GPS signal on a mk3 upwards is to place the GPS on the black dotted part at top. GPS for hardwired gps systems are built into the aerial so it bypasses the screen.

Back