Mini 0805 Issues

Wilkins9000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I purchased a Mini 0805 for my car in April. I bought a hardwire kit in mid-July, and prior to this I had been using the supplied 12v cigarette lighter socket to power it. The camera was working fine hardwired for about 2 weeks, but I then noticed when I turned the ignition on, I wasn't getting the 'jingle' the camera makes when it's on.

It displays a solid red (and sometimes blue) LED, but other than this, it is unresponsive - no screen or anything. I also tried the camera with the old 12v cable again, and also changed the fuse adapter position in the fuse box, but this did not help. Checked my SD card and the camera did not record anything.

I also noticed the camera itself was quite warm when I removed it from the GPS module. The camera was purchased from the UK dedicated website, and I hardwired it using parts I purchased from Ebay (hardwire kit advertised for Mini 0805; fuse adapter; 10A fuse). Installation was straight forward, and grounded the kit by connecting the wire underneath a screw on the metal chassis. Fuse adapter is piggybacked off a 40A fuse - only one I could find that was ignition activated.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
have you tried powering in home? maybe w/o the SD card inserted? just try to isolate and identify the problem first and we can help you further.

Hello, I just created an account as I am having similar issues, a couple of weeks ago I had a Monkon 0805 bought of Amazon. This was hardwired in as well using a kit off ebay but soon started to have issues as in it wouldn't turn on at all. It fixed itself but a couple days later same thing and then it started to get really hot. So I sent it back and got an e-prance version, this worked for all of a week and stopped exact same issue, would not turn on.

I just received another eprance model but am now thinking could it be an issue with the hardwire kit itself by over charging it and killing the battery if thats possible or possibly draining the battery when it has no power?

this is the kit I got of ebay wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301549475061

have seen a few people mention that same hardwire kit has given them problems, never used it myself to know what it's like but I'd probably try running the included cig adapter for a while instead and see how the camera performs, getting a camera with a problem can happen, getting three though ???

I have been thinking the same thing it might be down to the hardwire kit, anybody got any recommendation on a different kit as I don't care much for cables dangling?

you really don't need a hardwiring kit. you can just take the plug apart and splice wires to extend out and you can use that to connect to your ground and add-a-circuit fuse tap. that way, you know that you're getting the intended voltage and amperage to your device. i'll try to remember to snap a pic to post after work if this is confusing.

I have been thinking the same thing it might be down to the hardwire kit, anybody got any recommendation on a different kit as I don't care much for cables dangling?
You can get a female accessory adaptor and wire that into the car and use that.

you really don't need a hardwiring kit. you can just take the plug apart and splice wires to extend out and you can use that to connect to your ground and add-a-circuit fuse tap. that way, you know that you're getting the intended voltage and amperage to your device. i'll try to remember to snap a pic to post after work if this is confusing.
Don't forget to use a voltage reducer, the DVR is 5V not 12V.

Don't forget to use a voltage reducer, the DVR is 5V not 12V.

I'm talking about taking apart the included cig lighter plug, so no, you don't need an additional reducer. it's built in.

this is a pretty terrible diagram (done on my phone), but it shows how you can use the included accessory power plug and not have to buy a separate hardwiring kit.

plug by nestor panelo, on Flickr

I think it pretty self-explanatory. you would obviously not use the fuse that's installed in the plug since you're going to install the proper fuse in the add-a-circuit that you put in your fuse box.

this is the kit I got of ebay wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301549475061

That's the exact same kit I bought from the exact same seller!

What happens when you go back to using the original power adapter?

When I used the original cigarette lighter adapter, it produced the same result.

Thanks for your replies all. In reply to Abarth, I tested the following:
- Hardwire kit in car, no SD card
- Camera connected to PC via USB, SD card in
- Camera connected to PC via USB, no SD card

All returned the same issue - solid red LED, no screen or jingle. When I had it connected to the PC, I pressed the 'power on' button and it produced a solid blue LED, but there was still no screen. I currently have it connected to the PC, no SD card, with the blue LED on to see what happens.

**Update - had to unplug the camera from the PC as it was getting quite warm. It's been unplugged for about 10 minutes now, the blue LED is still on and the camera is still warm.**

Last edited:
if you press the power button for ~10 seconds, it should turn off and hopefully reset. give that a try?

if you press the power button for ~10 seconds, it should turn off and hopefully reset. give that a try?

The light went off of it's own accord, and is not responsive to the power button at all. I plugged it back into the PC, solid red LED, pressed the power button to get the sold blue LED. Held down the power button for 10-15 seconds, which returned it to a solid red LED.

I think I'll contact the store where I got it from and see if they'll send me a replacement. With regards to the hardwire kit, I'll contact the Ebay seller and see what they say to it potentially b*ggering up the camera!

Hello, I just created an account as I am having similar issues, a couple of weeks ago I had a Monkon 0805 bought of Amazon. This was hardwired in as well using a kit off ebay but soon started to have issues as in it wouldn't turn on at all. It fixed itself but a couple days later same thing and then it started to get really hot. So I sent it back and got an e-prance version, this worked for all of a week and stopped exact same issue, would not turn on.

I just received another eprance model but am now thinking could it be an issue with the hardwire kit itself by over charging it and killing the battery if thats possible or possibly draining the battery when it has no power?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301549475061

Hi Loonitic,

I messaged the Ebay seller and informed them their item has damaged my camera. I also mentioned I'm aware of one other person who has experienced the same issue (you). Just received a reply stating I have a faulty product and they're going to give me a full refund. However, due to the fact that they've admitted it's a faulty product and it's damaged the camera, I will probe for further compensation.

A lot of these cheap power supplies aren't great quality, if you're on a budget you'd do better to use a female lighter socket and plug the included cig adapter into that

Yeah it certainly pays to not be looking for the cheapest deal when it comes to electrical components. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way! I think I may have to settle for installing a female 12v socket somewhere discrete.

Solid red light is a recurring theme!

i get the feeling that these 0805s do not have the capability to be powered up for hours on end, the charging mechanism fails in some way (forcing it to be unresponsive) and then things go wrong.

Update for Loonitic;

I probed for further compensation, and after quoting the Sale of Goods Act and threatening them a Trading Standards case, they paid £40.00 as compensation for damaging the camera. Well worth the effort to write to 'digi-bay'.

Back