Mini 0805 - Random Shutdown, still getting power

Zenit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0805
Hi everyone,

My Mini 0805 has been great so far, but I have been having an intermittent issue where the dashcam shuts itself down in the middle of recording while the car is in motion. It could be anywhere from 5 minutes into a drive all the way to 2hrs into a drive. Totally random, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

I have a feeling it could have something to do with a full SD card, as if I format the card (Micron brand) using the in-camera tool the problem goes away for a while.

The camera is still getting power. If I unplug and plug back in the DC adapter it lights up and records like nothing happened.

It is winter right now, so I doubt the camera is overheating. Its pretty cool to the touch. The battery is still good and works with the cam out of the car.

Any ideas? Thanks!

My 0826 was doing the same but I noticed it happened at the end of a five minute segment. This would indicate a problem reading to the card similar to when other ones would struggle upon initial boot up.

I think someone online suggested trying 1 or 3 min gaps instead. Perhaps the smaller file sizes are easier to deal with. Probably just grabbing at straws though.

I will swap the memory card out for an AData and set the clip length to 3 minutes. Hopefully that fixes it.

You didn't report back if changing the memory card solved the issue. In any case my mini 0805 with FW 20151201 rev 1.0 worked great with a 64GB Samsung class 10 SD card. I have it set for 1 minute recording clips, super fine, 2304x1296 30fps and no issues at all, it would recycle the recordings (over-write the oldest recording to make room for newer clips) as it should, all good. Then I tried a 128GB SanDisk (verified the SD card was original using H2testw, real 128GB, not counterfeit, etc.) class 10 card formatted by the dash cam and initially it worked fine for a week or so. Then random lock-ups, shutdowns, etc. Put the 64GB card back in, no issues. It wasn't the power supply as I took the unit in my home, powered it off a AC USB supply, and it would lock up or shutdown after less than 30 minutes with the 128GB card but ran great with the 64GB card. SanDisk are usually the gold standard in SD cards but the camera has a hard time with it, at least in this case. I re-ran H2testw on the 128GB card again to ensure the card didn't develop issues, the card passed write/verify again, 128GB. Bottom line, if you're having this type of issue, try another SD cards.

I received my Samsung 128GB EVO card (same orange coloured card as the 64GB only larger) and tested it using H2testw (passed) and then in the dash cam (dash cam formatted the card). Worked properly so far (13.5H of run time, card is about 2/3 full). No lockups, missed recordings, etc. All settings the same as in the post above. I'll report back if issues arise but for now the mini 0805 seems to like the Samsung EVO cards. https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00P3NMVVU
Funny thing too, I bought the card three days ago for $39.99 and today it is $54.95.

And for completeness, this is the SanDisk 128GB card I tested in the above post: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-sandisk-128gb-ultra-microsdxc-uhs-i-class-10-memory-card

Last edited:
My 0805 mostly works, but occasionally (every 1-2 months) makes the "I'm shutting down" tone and quits some minutes after the car starts. Using SanDisk Ultra 32G class 10, on FW Version 20151201 V1.0. I have the USB cable connected direct, not through the GPS mount (I think the power contacts through the mount get loose / intermittent over time). Next step is to just turn off GPS and see if that matters.

Not specific to the 0805 dashcam but FWIW- I have a SanDisk 128GB USB stick that occasionally has read/write errors on an embedded computer (RPi), when all my SanDisk 32 GB USB sticks have always worked without error. Hmmm. The reviews of this particular 128GB device say it works faster, but also runs hotter than the older devices. Maybe the faster card exposes some timing race condition in the I/O system.

Last edited:
Back